HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
AKA will try and get away from businesses with multiple locations, and be a place a vendor can test out new concepts before investing in their own space/truck. If you weren't aware – The Forks owns all the equipment in the kiosks, so investment is very low.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Nuburger depart soon because of this.
If Kyu Grill and Nu Burger are asked to leave The Forks to focus more on upstart ideas with a single location Red Ember could make that list too. Their mobile operation consist of a their kitchen truck, a roughly 53' semi trailer as a prep truck/storage and a smaller "errand" vehicle. That is far more than a simple food truck startup.

Edit: Almost forgot, The Forks announced they are temporarily closed until further notice.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Any good reason places like BDI aren’t allowed to open yet?

Stand in line with social distancing, order and take your food item, what’s the problem!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Any good reason places like BDI aren’t allowed to open yet?

Stand in line with social distancing, order and take your food item, what’s the problem!
They're allowed, they just haven't. Restaurants are still allowed to do takeout.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:43 PM

Good on the BDI people for being responsible. There are people who probably would line up for ice cream, of all things, in these conditions... BDI is saving people from themselves by remaining closed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good on the BDI people for being responsible. There are people who probably would line up for ice cream, of all things, in these conditions... BDI is saving people from themselves by remaining closed.
Seriously, how would lining up with social distancing for ice cream be any different than lining up to pay for groceries or whatever at Superstore or Walmart with social distancing?

Better to let some businesses suffer financially!?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Seriously, how would lining up with social distancing for ice cream be any different than lining up to pay for groceries or whatever at Superstore or Walmart with social distancing?

Better to let some businesses suffer financially!?
No one is forcing them to close, it's their decision. Maybe they did the math and figured they're better off this way. Are you going to tell them they're wrong?

Anyway, from what I have seen over the past month, a lot of people flat out suck at social distancing. And you can bet the people willing to line up for something as trivial as ice cream will probably be among the rock bottom worst at it.

But that said, why does it have to be BDI or bust? There are other places still serving up ice cream around town if your cravings are that bad.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:10 PM

I'm increasingly becoming worried that Winnipeggers and Manitobans are going to try and rush to open everything up and go back to normal. Listening to Pallister talk about being first in the country to open and his "FIRST" slogan is making me really nervous.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I'm increasingly becoming worried that Winnipeggers and Manitobans are going to try and rush to open everything up and go back to normal. Listening to Pallister talk about being first in the country to open and his "FIRST" slogan is making me really nervous.
Some people will, but many won't. I'd be pretty surprised if anything that wasn't aimed at kids was back at pre-outbreak levels quickly after reopening. And if it does, then the path is predictable... infection levels spike, a bunch of people get sick and/or die, and it's back to quarantine.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:02 AM

I’ve heard from people very involved in the gov that the plan will likely be scaled opening at gathering places, likely still a month out though. For example restaurants at first will be allowed to seat 25% of their capacity, then 50%, etc.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 11:54 AM

^ I don't think it'll be a huge issue. I think many people will be skittish about being out in crowds. I'm sure when the green light comes on some younger 18-35 people will rush out, but older people (higher risk levels) will probably be a bit more cautious.

I don't have any covid risk factors myself but I can tell you that I'm still in no rush to go back to restaurants. I do my once a week takeout thing and that's fine with me, I can keep doing that for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:27 PM

Rae and Jerry's reopened this week, offering curbside pickup of a select number of menu items. It basically looks like the lounge and catering menu.

http://www.raeandjerrys.com/files/Cu...ickup-menu.pdf

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:44 PM

Better late than never I guess. Bar I turned their patio door into a takeout window (awesome) and it looks oddly permanent.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:40 PM

Over 20 dollars for a cheeseburger. Are they insane?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Over 20 dollars for a cheeseburger. Are they insane?
Feels like prices everywhere have shot up over the last month or so. Even in supermarkets it's a little crazy. Gasoline is the only exception.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:30 PM

^We had this discussion before, couple of months ago. $18.75 for a burger with fries and coleslaw from a sit down place is the norm. Earls, Joey, etc are all in this price range.

Incidentally, In last couple of weeks I've noticed you can buy "groceries" from a several restaurants now (even Pizza Hotline). Basically all the raw the ingredients to cook meals at home. I haven't tried it yet, but the convenience factor is tempting. But pricey. For example, from Earl's:

Protein Pack $110
Chicken Breasts (4)
Angus Chuck Burger patties (6)
8 oz Sirloins (4)
Salmon Filets (4)

Chef's instructions included

Dairy + Egg Pack - $35
Eggs (1 dozen)
Butter (1 lb)
Milk 2% (2 L)
White Shredded Cheese (1 lb)

Who knows, I might try it just to mix things up one week.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^We had this discussion before, couple of months ago. $18.75 for a burger with fries and coleslaw from a sit down place is the norm. Earls, Joey, etc are all in this price range.

Incidentally, In last couple of weeks I've noticed you can buy "groceries" from a several restaurants now (even Pizza Hotline). Basically all the raw the ingredients to cook meals at home. I haven't tried it yet, but the convenience factor is tempting. But pricey. For example, from Earl's:

Protein Pack $110
Chicken Breasts (4)
8 oz Sirloins (4)
Salmon Filets (4)

Dairy + Egg Pack - $35
Eggs (1 dozen)
Butter (1 lb)
Milk 2% (2 L)

If you pick it up at one of their restaurants, you get 20% of that price.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
If you pick it up at one of their restaurants, you get 20% of that price.
Oh, that's good to know. I see they also sell toilet paper at $1 per roll. Ingenious!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think it'll be a huge issue. I think many people will be skittish about being out in crowds. I'm sure when the green light comes on some younger 18-35 people will rush out, but older people (higher risk levels) will probably be a bit more cautious.

I don't have any covid risk factors myself but I can tell you that I'm still in no rush to go back to restaurants. I do my once a week takeout thing and that's fine with me, I can keep doing that for a long time.
I agree, People were skittish before everything was closed down by the government. I went out to a few places the weekend before they started shutting everything down and it was ghost towns everywhere already. I think there were 2 or 4 confirmed cases at the time. People aren't going to be flocking everywhere the second something is opened up.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

Protein Pack $110
Chicken Breasts (4)
8 oz Sirloins (4)
Salmon Filets (4)

Dairy + Egg Pack - $35
Eggs (1 dozen)
Butter (1 lb)
Milk 2% (2 L)

I recommend it. I have done it twice. Maximum 6 rolls of TP per order. We also got the pan bread kit, and some other supplies. It was good.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I agree, People were skittish before everything was closed down by the government. I went out to a few places the weekend before they started shutting everything down and it was ghost towns everywhere already. I think there were 2 or 4 confirmed cases at the time. People aren't going to be flocking everywhere the second something is opened up.
I don't know. I have a feeling once the Premier gives thumbs up, a lot of people will be going wild... While this may be a different circumstance, most people blindly follow what the government tells them. They say it's safe, it's safe.

I for one will not be going crazy. But am definitely missing a good ole burger and chicken wings at a pub type night. Only thing is no sports to watch. Anxiously waiting to see what comes of all that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan