HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
Is Fog City still moving into the parking lot??

I'm kind of surprised about the PSeudio moving part, seems like a weird space for them and I thought for sure that Cineplex would use that space for either the Rec Room or something else.
I thought I had read that was the plan? Although perhaps it was just speculation that the Fog City space was going to be part of the Rec Room

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:00 PM

Needs on Merrymeeting Road

Quote:
From the City of St. John's:
A change of Non-Conforming Use application as been submitted by Laundry Services NL requesting permission to change the occupancy of 95 Merrymeeting Road to a Laundromat.
When I lived nearby, the Needs was convenient on holidays when the Sobeys and NLC were closed. Assuming that it doesn't relocate somewhere nearby, it will be the second convenience store to close in that neighbourhood after Long's Hill Convenience.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:50 PM

Axe-throwing, bowling, food and virtual reality: A look inside the Rec Room:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...plex-1.4991368

They had this on the news yesterday. Opening in April.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
I thought I had read that was the plan? Although perhaps it was just speculation that the Fog City space was going to be part of the Rec Room
Originally, the Rec Room was going to take a little bit of Fog City space, but not all. As soon as construction began for the Rec room, the lines were drawn well before the exit stairway behind Fog City.

In other news, Panizza in the Avalon Mall had its last day yesterday. The space is boarded up already too, which is quite the change from leaving everything open the last time they tried to open.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:57 PM

I found confirmation of four more stores for Galway: Dollarama, Michaels, First Choice Haircutters, and Urban Shoes.

So much for Galway bringing in new stores and looking different than all the other shopping centres.

http://www.olympic-construction.nf.ca/tenders/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v0qok05cm...ments.zip?dl=0

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:37 AM

I was at Shoppers Drug Mart on Freshwater/Empire yesterday. The clerk mentioned that that structure is going to be torn down in April to make way for a new structure. I’m interested to see what it is going to look like.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post
I was at Shoppers Drug Mart on Freshwater/Empire yesterday. The clerk mentioned that that structure is going to be torn down in April to make way for a new structure. I’m interested to see what it is going to look like.
Was just remarking the other day to a friend that its crazy Shopper's has allowed that to exist. We almost went in for little bit of retail history sightseeing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:13 PM

I notice that Furniture Market on Kenmount Road is having a moving sale, everything must go. Anyone know what's up with that?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I notice that Furniture Market on Kenmount Road is having a moving sale, everything must go. Anyone know what's up with that?
Heard on radio commercial they are moving into basement of Lane Furniture across the road. Think both companies have same Owner...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:41 PM

Just what we need in this city is another Goddamn Dollarama Store !!! They appearently are opening on Water Street as well, in the old Dooly's (post office) location.

Galway is just going to be a total knockoff of Stavanger drive. Nothing different whatsoever. Danny Williams just likes to hear himself talk --- total blowhard

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Just what we need in this city is another Goddamn Dollarama Store !!! They appearently are opening on Water Street as well, in the old Dooly's (post office) location.

Galway is just going to be a total knockoff of Stavanger drive. Nothing different whatsoever. Danny Williams just likes to hear himself talk --- total blowhard
We have to be leading the nation in Dollaramas per capita. It's mind blowing how so many can be sustainable. We are the deep south of the north however.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
We have to be leading the nation in Dollaramas per capita. It's mind blowing how so many can be sustainable. We are the deep south of the north however.
I'm kinda surprised they are putting one downtown to be honest..

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I like that!

Gonna use it, "Deep South of the North"

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I'm kinda surprised they are putting one downtown to be honest..
I'm curious whether this is in any proposed city or business related documentation, or just arose from somebody trolling?

I've seen posts on here about a Dollarama and Mary Brown's going downtown. At least the Mary Brown's in Second Cup's ex-location would make logistical sense from a George Street perspective.

Dollarama on the other hand, there's like 4 parking meters near the old Dooley's. I wouldn't expect people shopping at Dollarama to park in 351 Water for $4/hour lol.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I'm curious whether this is in any proposed city or business related documentation, or just arose from somebody trolling?

I've seen posts on here about a Dollarama and Mary Brown's going downtown. At least the Mary Brown's in Second Cup's ex-location would make logistical sense from a George Street perspective.

Dollarama on the other hand, there's like 4 parking meters near the old Dooley's. I wouldn't expect people shopping at Dollarama to park in 351 Water for $4/hour lol.
Seems like that would be a pricey location for a store that presumably tries to keep overhead costs at a minimum. I mean, I'm sure all stores do this, but I think it would be more true for a dollar store.

In somewhat related news, the dollar store in Torbay Road mall appears to be closing. So it seems Dollarama is successful in driving all other dollar stores out of business.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
In somewhat related news, the dollar store in Torbay Road mall appears to be closing. So it seems Dollarama is successful in driving all other dollar stores out of business.
Then Dollarama changes it's name to TwoDollarama after it hikes it's prices...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:37 PM

Hakim Optical now has a store in the Village. First location for them in the province.

Brewery Lane is moving from their current location in Coakers Meadow Plaza into a larger space closer to Torbay Rd. I believe there was an appliance place there previously.

There was a permit issued to Winners at the Mall for a change of occupancy/renovations from the last City council agenda. Starting their new space I presume.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:07 PM

Just gonna throw this out there. This is total speculation on my part. But while checking out various concept illustrations of the new Avalon Mall expansion, one pic seem to feature a big book store facade. I realize the concepts drawings are only concepts but perhaps Crombie Properties are trying to whoo Chapters/Indigo to move down to the new mall expansion area. It would be a pretty good anchor along with the Winners store moving there too. Crombie REIT already owns the land right up to Chapters so this would not be that far fetched if they offered to purchase the current Chapters store building.

Here is the concept drawing of the book store at the mall.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c4&oe=5CF28E19

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Just gonna throw this out there. This is total speculation on my part. But while checking out various concept illustrations of the new Avalon Mall expansion, one pic seem to feature a big book store facade. I realize the concepts drawings are only concepts but perhaps Crombie Properties are trying to whoo Chapters/Indigo to move down to the new mall expansion area. It would be a pretty good anchor along with the Winners store moving there too. Crombie REIT already owns the land right up to Chapters so this would not be that far fetched if they offered to purchase the current Chapters store building.

Here is the concept drawing of the book store at the mall.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c4&oe=5CF28E19
Don't forget that there is already a Coles in the mall. So I think it would more so replace Coles than Chapters, cause I don't think they would replace two stores with one. If they replace Coles with a proper large Indigo store they could probably justify having Chapters up the road, OR move Chapters to Galway. Either way, I like the idea of this happening

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:04 AM

I believe Coles is also in the Chapters/Indigo brand. I wouldn't put too much stock in concept drawings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's