HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 6:38 PM

Poll:Where should PDX's next nonstop international destination be?

Poll: Where should PDX's next nonstop international destination be?

Please vote here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...on-be/17351501

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:08 PM

I know the port is lobbying for Paris pretty hard, but I could only assume this would be flown by Delta. I'd much rather see a foreign carrier enter the market. PDX is currently the largest U.S. market that does not have a direct flight to London. I'd love to see British Airways flying here.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 1:44 PM

I'm still not sure why people want CDG as the next non-stop (especially via Delta). Where does Paris get you that AMS doesn't?

Now, one thing I would LOVE is a later timed Europe departure. More like a 4pm departure out of PDX, arriving Europe at 11am or so.

Easier to sleep on plane, the return flight doesn't have to be at the crack of dawn on the Europe side if you are connecting. Way better.

So if Paris was that late departure, I'd totally switch to that.

--
All THAT said, it would add more diversity and better connections on Alaska if we got LHR-PDX. I would imagine a lot more people need to get to London for work than Paris. London would open up a better direct city pair, and not force everyone to fly on Delta.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Poll: Where should PDX's next nonstop international destination be?

Please vote here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...on-be/17351501
From a big picture economic perspective, a non-stop flight to China would make the most sense. Many of my friends who fly for business, go to China to visit plants and work with their engineers. However, I will admit that when it comes to leisure travel, Europe is way more popular.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 5:19 PM

Last time I checked planes fly in both directions so why not a European flight and an Asian flight. Also, it's not like the two flights would be competing for the same passengers.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:07 AM

Didn't mean to get anyone excited about some new PDX nonstop route news, haha ... just going down Marine Drive this afternoon and got a shot of the new Condor Airlines at the gate. Cool looking plane, I like the whimsical art -- why don't more airlines have a little more fun with their designs? Maybe because they know they're about to rip you off with baggage fees ... the boring corporate design should reflect their greed. Anyway I love this plane, so glad PDX has a good airline (as far as I know?) flying nonstop to Frankfurt.

IMG_1033 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:55 PM

Nothing major, but Air Canada announced today that the seasonal service to and from Calgary will now be year round.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/150717.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 10:22 PM

didn't notice that, but that's a good sign for PDX. Need more year round service.

Condor is going 3x weekly in 2016, which is good to hear. They must be making the route work.

Still hoping for BA LHR-PDX on 788
--
I booked the new AS PDX-STL and PDX-AUS routes, hope those stick around.

--
Also humbling to hear SEA had 4M pax last month....that's a lot.
Our little PDX has a ways to grow.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post

--
Also humbling to hear SEA had 4M pax last month....that's a lot.
Our little PDX has a ways to grow.
Yeah I heard on news SeaTac is fastest growing large airport in nation right now. At least PDX was rated top airport by travelers nationally again (travel & leisure mag I think? ) And with the seemingly sudden increase in int'l tourism lately aroind here PDX will continue to expand its non stop flight options.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:05 AM

I wonder if American Airlines might one day consider making PDX into a gateway for flights to Asia, much as Delta has done at SEA? AA is probably going to spend the next year or two finishing its merger with US Airways, but at some point they're going to have to address the major gap in their route network. This article from a year ago explains the geographic problem they have if they want to grow their trans Pacific traffic:

Quote:
Additionally, American faces a longer-term disadvantage in Asia compared to United and Delta. In terms of geography and cultural ties to Asia, San Francisco and Seattle are the best-located gateways for trans-Pacific flights. However, United has solidified a dominant position in San Francisco and Delta is rapidly ensconcing itself in Seattle as the dominant international carrier.

None of American's hubs are nearly as good for connecting traffic to Asia. Dallas-Fort Worth is one of the largest airline hubs in the world, but it is about 1,500 miles further from Asia than San Francisco and Seattle (roughly three hours of flying time). It is also an inconvenient transfer point for most U.S.-origin cities.

American's Chicago and Los Angeles hubs are slightly better positioned geographically, but the airline has fewer flights to those airports and it faces strong competition in both cities, particularly from United.
Portland is in a great geographic location to connect travelers from the rest of the continental US to Asia, and unlike the rest of the West Coast airports it can handle a significant increase in the number of flights operating out of it.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 9:25 PM

I'd love see a major carrier move into PDX and make an international mini-hub, but I feel like if AA were to ramp up operations in the NW they'd just go head to head with Delta up in Seattle.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 10:09 PM

I agree that Portland could be positioned to serve as a gateway to Asia again (anyone remember Delta’s flights to Asia in the 80’s and 90’s. There significant underutilized capacity of the gates in Concourse D. But to be a serious gateway, the Port of Portland or one of the airlines is going to have to make an investment in the international arrival infrastructure in Terminal D. The transfer security station is okay for handling a single flight but would be overwhelmed if two or more flight were to arrive at the same time. And for those passengers whose destination is Portland having to carry your baggage onto a bus to then unload at the main baggage pickup is quite a hassle.

I’m not saying that it is a possibility but the Port is going to have to offer the airlines a better package tan what currently exists

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:25 AM

For all of you hoping for PDX as a hub (or jumping off point for TPAC flights), sadly, don't hold your breath.

PDX was used by Delta when Delta planes simply couldn't reach Asia from elsewhere in the US. They were using the MD11 which couldn't do ATL-Asia, or likely even SLC-Asia (hot and high). So, they needed a western point.

These days, the American fleet is doing DFW-Asia without trouble, and with A350s and such on the way, they will continue to overfly us. Same with ORD-Asia.

The real battle continues to be LAX, where everyone is adding flights.

--
It would be fun to see AA (the only one that could even possibly pull it off), do a PDX hub... but, there is just no chance of it. They have DFW, LAX and nothing in the NW. They leave that to AS and do their thing.

If a hub is opened, that's amazing... but then when it goes away... that is gutting.

--
Honestly, I like the continued organic growth we are seeing.

I just booked PDX-KEF-PDX for 6 days to check out Iceland. That wouldn't happen with a hub airline... so let's enjoy what we have.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 8:33 AM

I fully admit that that AA creating a hub in PDX for trans Pacific flights is a daydream, and not that likely to happen. However I don't think it's totally crazy either. I'd be surprised if AA hasn't at least studied it. Delta is operating a hub out of Seattle partly because the Seattle area economy is really strong, but mostly because Seattle is on the great circle route between much of the USA and much of East Asia. Modern jets can easily fly between Dallas and Hong Kong, but that doesn't mean Dallas is best location for Pacific connections.

As an example, New York JFK to Hong via Dallas is 9514 miles. Via PDX it is 9025 miles. In real terms that likely equals almost an hour less in the air.

At some point AA needs to grow in Asia, and Dallas isn't well positioned as a hub for that. Phoenix is positioned even worse. LAX isn't much better, and has no room for any airline to grow substantially.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:13 AM

Last year I flew through Seattle to get to Europe via British Airways/Heathrow and it was pretty nice. This time I booked a trip to eastern europe through PDX directly. I can't wait to see how it goes. The travel times are pretty reasonable since I'm doing the KLM trip through Amsterdam - only one transfer. 14 hours to Budapest. Love it!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 10:40 PM

PenAir to start nonstop PDX-Klamath Falls Service

http://www.heraldandnews.com/news/lo...f278df126.html

Anchorage, Alaska-based airlines Peninsula Airways has offered its air service to the city of Klamath Falls.

In a letter of intent from Murphy Forner, vice president of ground operations for the company, known as Pen Air, Forner said the airline wants to offer 12 round-trip flights from Klamath Falls to Portland each week on or before Nov. 3.

Flights are scheduled to depart daily from Crater Lake-Klamath Regional Airport in a 30-passenger, twin-engine powered SAAB 340 aircraft. The pressurized aircraft has a restroom, and will also be staffed with a flight attendant, according to PenAir's letter.

PenAir released the following flight schedule:

– 6:45 a.m. and 11:20 a.m., Monday through Friday, arriving back to the Klamath Basin at 9:45 a.m. and 6 p.m. respectively.

– A weekend flight will depart Klamath Falls at 9 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday, arriving back in Klamath Falls at 7:30 p.m.

The letter of intent allows the city of Klamath Falls to re-establish a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) presence in Klamath Falls, according to Forner.

“The decision to operate in Klamath Falls is based on previous discussions with the community and the previous offer of support,” said Forner in the letter. “That community support is necessary to ensure that PenAir's economic requirements are met in order to have a successful start-up in the community.

PenAir is looking forward to developing a long-term partnership with the community of Klamath Falls that will allow us to grow our service area and expand the community's transportation opportunities.”

hdillemuth@heraldandnews.com

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 3:13 PM

Alaska announces daily year round nonstop PDX -Minneapolis, Omaha and Kansas City

Service starts February 18, 2016!

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...730_045554.asp

Alaska Airlines Announces New Daily Flying from Portland to Three Midwest CitiesIntroductory one-way fares starting as low as $139 for tickets purchased by Aug. 5* 
7/30/2015 4:59 a.m. 

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines is launching daily nonstop service from its Portland, Oregon, hub to three Midwest metropolises including Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Omaha, Nebraska, starting Feb. 18, 2016. The routes are in addition to new Portland – Austin, Texas service the carrier announced last month.

"We continue to expand our Portland service portfolio with new non-stops to America's Heartland", said John Kirby, the airline's vice president of capacity planning. "With these new routes, Alaska Airlines will offer more than three times the number of nonstop destinations from the Rose City than any other carrier."

Summary of new service: 

Start date

City pair

Departs

Arrives

Frequency

Feb. 18

Portland-Kansas City

9:35 a.m.

2:59 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Kansas City-Portland

3:40 p.m.

5:45 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Portland-Minneapolis

10:55 a.m.

4:16 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Minneapolis-Portland

5 p.m.

7:08 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Portland-Omaha

6:50 p.m.

11:49 p.m.

Daily

Feb.19

Omaha-Portland

7 a.m.

8:45 a.m.

Daily

All times based on local time zones

To celebrate the new routes, Alaska Airlines is offering introductory one-way fares starting at $139 on flights from Portland to Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Omaha.* Customers must purchase their tickets by Aug. 5 and travel by March 16, 2016. Visit www.alaskaair.comto find great savings and purchase tickets, or call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (800-252-7522 or Hearing & Speech Impaired (TTY): Dial 711 for Relay Services).

The airline also is offering members of its Mileage Plan double miles on flights from Portland to Minneapolis and Kansas City.** To qualify, travelers must be members of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan, register atwww.alaskaair.com and travel between Feb. 18 and March 18, 2016. Customers who have not yet joined Mileage Plan can enroll at no cost online. 

The daily flights will be operated by SkyWest Airlines with 76-seat E175 jets featuring 12 seats in first class and 64 in coach, and boasting cabin dimensions on par with a 737. Onboard amenities will include Alaska Beyond Delicious, featuring food and beverages sourced with items from iconic Pacific Northwest brands, and Inflight Internet access. The planes are also equipped with Alaska Beyond Entertainment, which offers free and premium entertainment direct to customer devices, First class customers will also enjoy power outlets at each seat.

About Alaska Airlines
Alaska Airlines, a subsidiary of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK), together with its partner regional airlines, serves more than 100 cities through an expansive network in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Alaska Airlines ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Traditional Carriers in North America" in the J.D. Power North American Airline Satisfaction Study for eight consecutive years from 2008 to 2015. Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan also ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Airline Loyalty Rewards Programs" in the J.D. Power 2014 and 2015 Airline Loyalty/Rewards Program Satisfaction Report. For reservations, visit www.alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit Alaska Airlines' newsroom at www.alaskaair.com/newsroom.

About SkyWest Airlines 
As a leading air service provider offering global access to millions of people each month, SkyWest Airlines partners with the world's largest network carriers including United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, US Airways, American Airlines and Alaska Airlines. With a fleet of 350 aircraft, SkyWest's more than 10,500 aviation professionals operate nearly 1,700 flights each day to 189 destinations throughout North America. SkyWest is known for its industry-leading workforce, exceptional leadership team, and continued solid operational and economic performance. The airline is headquartered in St. George, Utah.

*General terms and conditions for the introductory fares: Fares include all taxes and fees. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or all days. A ticket purchased at an Alaska Airlines airport location or through a reservation call center will cost $15 more per person than the advertised fare. Tickets are nonrefundable. A 21-day advance purchase is required for all tickets. Applicable fare and tax differences apply to any changes made after ticketing. A $125 (USD) change fee per person applies to any changes made within 60-days of ticketed travel. All fares, taxes and fees shown are based on one-way travel. Additional U.S. taxes may apply to itineraries involving a U.S. stopover lasting more than 12 hours. Bag fees apply for checked baggage. See checked baggage policy at www.alaskaair.com for more details. Fares are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions —blackout dates, day of week restrictions, schedule availability, change fees and advance purchase requirements — may apply. Visitwww.alaskaair.com or call Alaska Airlines' Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 for complete fare rules and fees.

**Double Miles Terms & Conditions: Limited time offer: Double Miles for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan members who fly a qualifying nonstop between Portland-Kansas City and Portland-Minneapolis between Feb. 18 and March 18, 2016. Members must register for the promotion atwww.alaskaair.com before the first qualifying flight. Flight must be marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by SkyWest. Mileage for both qualifying flights must be credited to a member's Mileage Plan™ account. Not valid on free or award travel. Double miles do not count towards Mileage Plan™ Elite Status. Double miles will be awarded within four to six weeks of meeting the promotion's qualifications. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan™ program apply. Offer subject to change without notice

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:53 PM

This seems pretty significant. Alaska must be thinking that it works better from them to fly direct out of PDX rather than shuttle passengers to SEA via Horizon and then east. This will be a nice alternative to Southwest. I'm now wondering if Delta or United try to compete with direct flights?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlexus View Post
This seems pretty significant. Alaska must be thinking that it works better from them to fly direct out of PDX rather than shuttle passengers to SEA via Horizon and then east. This will be a nice alternative to Southwest. I'm now wondering if Delta or United try to compete with direct flights?
Delta already flies several times a day to Minneapolis. And it's super expensive. Welcome competition. United is shrinking, not expanding in the NW.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:07 PM

Well Minneapolis is a Delta hub so they already do 6 flights a day. But I think all 3 cities are great additions to Alaska's service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure