HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:31 PM

All the more reason to get city to designate 4th street as historical NOW!
Most Developers have no interest in local color or texture .... only profit.
Which is totally short sighted....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:37 PM

This building (Roosevelt Room) is going down without a fight. Staff recommends demo mainly because there is no significant history attached to it, and that second floor addition ruined it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This building (Roosevelt Room) is going down without a fight. Staff recommends demo mainly because there is no significant history attached to it, and that second floor addition ruined it.
This is bullshit, I love going there, I'm sick and tired of the places that I enjoy going to getting closed or bulldozed. I'm going to complain to the city council and ask them for a hold on all new highrise construction until the city sets guidlines on keeping the texture and life of the urban core alive. I've had enough! Let 6× the Sail and 401 get built but halt all other projects until something is done to save what makes Downtown Austin a place where people want to live or go to.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This is bullshit, I love going there, I'm sick and tired of the places that I enjoy going to getting closed or bulldozed. I'm going to complain to the city council and ask them for a hold on all new highrise construction until the city sets guidlines on keeping the texture and life of the urban core alive. I've had enough! Let 6× the Sail and 401 get built but halt all other projects until something is done to save what makes Downtown Austin a place where people want to live or go to.
That seems . . . excessive.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:20 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That seems . . . excessive.
I’m actually starting to agree with him
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:57 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:

You're quite amusing.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:58 PM

nm

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
nm
Same.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:37 PM
Resident Moron

I like Roosevelt room a lot as well, but it's a what? 3 year old cocktail bar? I'm not sure it's exactly the heart and soul of downtown.

I think the city *should* require ground floor retail and at least one restaurant/bar space in the building. I think a "replace like with like" requirement would be fine.

But, we don't need to stop explosive urbanziation of the core of Austin to save a building whose historic value was already destroyed because we like a nice cocktail bar.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 8:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't drink, so I don't really care one way or the other about some cocktail bar. But then I remind myself that sometimes people here mention tearing down something I do love and would miss (House Park), and I get it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I agree with your concern. Whole-heartedly.
By all means approach council.
Trying to think what is the most useful course myself.
Drawing a line around 4th street.....
there must be a way.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I would feel the same way if I spent as much time as you do downtown. I am with you in spirit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:39 AM

The developers have let the site plan application expire. Between that and adding 307 E. 5th to the Demo plans, some change of plans must be in the works.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=91742

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:54 PM

The HLC approved the demo of the Roosevelt Room building at 307 W. 5th on consent. Nobody was there to speak up for it, and the HLC didn't even consider pulling it from consent for discussion.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
The developers have let the site plan application expire. Between that and adding 307 E. 5th to the Demo plans, some change of plans must be in the works.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...pertyrsn=91742
We haven't actually seen plans for this one yet, have we? Just that speculative rendering from way back, right?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
We haven't actually seen plans for this one yet, have we? Just that speculative rendering from way back, right?
Correct. Since the site plan application expired and the footprint got bigger, I am wondering if they are adding office levels to Ver. 2. An Endeavor Rep said they added office levels to 91 Red River because financing is easier to get for mixed use as opposed to all rental - even though downtown rental units are in high demand.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Correct. Since the site plan application expired and the footprint got bigger, I am wondering if they are adding office levels to Ver. 2. An Endeavor Rep said they added office levels to 91 Red River because financing is easier to get for mixed use as opposed to all rental - even though downtown rental units are in high demand.
Lots of demand for office... could see this adding office or even hotel to serve all the new office development going up on the west side.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:24 AM

The Roosevelt Room just finished renovating their place this week according to their Facebook and Twitter. No closure announcement yet.

Quote:
You may have noticed some changes around here recently, as we’ve been hard at work renovating the space to make it more comfortable for our guests, and more functional for our staff. Well, we’re excited to announce that the renovations are now complete and we couldn’t be happier with our new home.
https://www.facebook.com/TheRooseveltRoomATX/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm quite happy to announce the Roosevelt Room is not going anywhere.

I had the opportunity to talk to a manager while some friends and I were having drinks at the bar lastnight. She told me that they will not be moving anytime soon. Apparently they (as in the owners of the Roosevelt Room) own the building and they have no intention of selling. Apparently the original plan was to incorporate the existing structure into the new development but the developer decided to change plans so they decided not sell. She said, the developer would have to fork over an insane amount of money to them, way more than what the property is worth and so far the developer has not agreed so they will be there for awhile longer.

She did however add that if an agreement is made, the Roosevelt Room will find another location either within the new development or somewhere nearby. But for now, the Roosevelt Room is safe for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
You're quite amusing.
Why thank you. I sincerely take that as a complement. I like to be amusing and goofy. If I get people to laugh, makes me pretty happy.

I can understand the criticism some have of my last post and sure, may be a bit overboard to halt all other projects not 401, 6X or the Sail tower, also might as well add the Parsley Energy building seeing as how having a parking lot there is unacceptable. Also can we all agree 404 Colorado needs to just dissapear, at least the garage portion.

Having said that, I do think the city needs to really look at how to preserve the existing fabric, (what made DT attractive in the first place), I'd like to see more guidlines specifically regarding entertainment/music venues such as incorporating space into say new office buildings. There are other ways to help keep DT vibrant at all times, just don't want a huge wave of development to occure where we loose even more of the charm that draws myself and many others DT time and time again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin