HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 3:07 PM

BHP will probably be our next tower.. I wonder if once their mine gets started up in the next few years (if market prices continue where they’re at which is stable and makes it feasible), if they’ll want to build a tower larger than Nutrien’s new tower out of competitiveness... they also continue to claim that they won’t utilize canpotex, which means they’ll need additional marketing staff... Hopefully they utilize a developer like Triovest to create a more beautiful tower than what they currently have that doesn’t utilize the street and is next to a dead zone with that empty bank next to it. One of the new parcels coming available along the River like next to Sid Buckwold would be sublime!! If BHP creates a stronger presence in Saskatoon once their mine starts up, I bet it will force Nutrien to move more higher quality jobs here and start up a potash cluster of talent.

I’ve also heard rumblings of Canpotex considering moving into River Landing once their lease expires soon (currently in floors 3-4 of the Scotiabank building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 4:43 PM

If BHP were to build a tower I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on the lot where the old Affinity branch sits currently as part of the World Trade Center project.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
If BHP were to build a tower I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on the lot where the old Affinity branch sits currently as part of the World Trade Center project.
I thought that was the original wtc concept? To have BHP anchor one of the two towers?

Also, wrt the SNC-Lavalin building, are you sure it wasn’t NP? I was fairly certain, but don’t have the means to verify right now.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 2:51 AM

I feel like they were rushed to build their current location when they started the hostile takeover - I could see them scout out their options next round

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This transformation. Wow. I want to try and entice my suburban office to move into here if it’s still available. Unfortunately our management just decided to do renovations for the first time in 30 years (eye roll)

I was a little disappointed when the tarps came down and revealed the metal around the top--it looks really out of place among all the brick, but maybe once everything else it place it won't look as jarring (IMO).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
BHP will probably be our next tower.. I wonder if once their mine gets started up in the next few years (if market prices continue where they’re at which is stable and makes it feasible), if they’ll want to build a tower larger than Nutrien’s new tower out of competitiveness... they also continue to claim that they won’t utilize canpotex, which means they’ll need additional marketing staff... Hopefully they utilize a developer like Triovest to create a more beautiful tower than what they currently have that doesn’t utilize the street and is next to a dead zone with that empty bank next to it. One of the new parcels coming available along the River like next to Sid Buckwold would be sublime!! If BHP creates a stronger presence in Saskatoon once their mine starts up, I bet it will force Nutrien to move more higher quality jobs here and start up a potash cluster of talent.

I’ve also heard rumblings of Canpotex considering moving into River Landing once their lease expires soon (currently in floors 3-4 of the Scotiabank building.
Don't forget that there will be massive vacancy in the Princeton Towers and Saskatoon Square once tenants move into RL. That excess inventory is likely to push any new towers far into the future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I was a little disappointed when the tarps came down and revealed the metal around the top--it looks really out of place among all the brick, but maybe once everything else it place it won't look as jarring (IMO).
You're going to see the same thing at 650 Broadway (the old Farnham block site).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 7:34 PM

Does anyone know why the 7-11 on 8th st and the one on 22nd st and ave p closed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
Does anyone know why the 7-11 on 8th st and the one on 22nd st and ave p closed.
Plummeting Slurpee demand.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:06 AM

New photos of the Tees and Persse building!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:12 AM

Not sure how I feel about the new addition to that building. I do like the green space they are putting in place where the Midtown currently sits.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:

Bleh

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:

I would reserve judgement. I generally have no problem with a modern annex on a historic building. I would note there are few windows now on the N. side of the building.

I do not understand what is going on the picture above. Is this just another option?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not understand what is going on the picture above. Is this just another option?
My guess is that's the planned treatment of the existing Tees & Persse building's south side.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:24 PM

Exterior work progressing at the Bowerman Block (former American Apparel) on 21st St.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:49 PM

Is the American Apparel spaced leased? I think that is such a cool space on a very vibrant street!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
My guess is that's the planned treatment of the existing Tees & Persse building's south side.
That would be really unfortunate if they cover up the existing external brick wall for that.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:36 PM

A rather minor little project, but at the city's planning commission there's a report on the redevelopment of the commercial site at Ave H & 18th St (current location of One Drip Café) for a two storey building with commercial at-grade and residences above:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Exterior work progressing at the Bowerman Block (former American Apparel) on 21st St.
I noticed that yesterday as well--they were knocking out all the glass block "windows" when I went by (to Franky's, mmm.. Banh Mi.... Do we know what's planned for that building?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
That would be really unfortunate if they cover up the existing external brick wall for that.
Although it is just a windowless wall of lower quality brick. The ghost sign is cool though.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.13251...2!8i6656?hl=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan