HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:30 PM

NEW YORK | (Original) World Trade Center Discussion

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrio...d_Trade_Center), the hotel was connected to the North and South Towers (the Twin Towers) of the original World Trade Center, and many went through the hotel to get to them. This website called "EMPORIS" (https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...rk-city-ny-usa) also says that the hotel was connected to the Twin Towers.

But this image from a website called "AwesomeStories" (https://www.awesomestories.com/image...3362e69a6d.jpg) doesn't show anything connecting the hotel and the Twin Towers together.

So was the hotel actually connected to the Twin Towers?

Last edited by WTC Twin Towers; Sep 23, 2017 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:16 PM

Ok, I got it. I edited it to make sure that the website that I got the image from was credited for the image.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:08 PM
Pro Web Slinger

The connection was underground, beneath the plaza. I'm pretty sure the entire complex was connected.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
The connection was underground, beneath the plaza. I'm pretty sure the entire complex was connected.
I don't think 7 World Trade Center was connected to the complex.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:12 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTC Twin Towers View Post
I don't think 7 World Trade Center was connected to the complex.
7 WTC was connected to the rest of the WTC complex via a set of bridges over Vesey St.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
7 WTC was connected to the rest of the WTC complex via a set of bridges over Vesey St.

You know, I never really saw how Building 7 was actually a part of the original World Trade Center complex, since it was not originally planned and it wasn't connected to the concourse area in any type of way like how all the other buildings in the complex were. It never made sense to me to why Building 7 was considered a part of the complex when clearly it wasn't.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey7312 View Post
It was. There was a large shopping mall underneath all the buildings.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:05 AM
Basket Case

Only the North Tower (1 WTC) had a direct connection to the hotel, but like spidey said the connection was on the mall concourse level, underneath the plaza. You could access the South Tower via the North Tower and the mall.
Here is a map of the concourse level showing the connection.

Here is a simpler map with green arrows showing the entry points for the buildings on the concourse level.

Last edited by OptimumPx; Oct 2, 2017 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Only the North Tower (1 WTC) had a direct connection to the hotel, but like spidey said the connection was on the mall concourse level, underneath the plaza. You could access the South Tower via the North Tower and the mall.
Here is a map of the concourse level showing the connection.

Here is a simpler map with green arrows showing the entry points for the buildings on the concourse level.
That's weird that the North Tower was the only one that had a direct connection to the hotel. I expected that there would've also been a direct connection to the South Tower too, since (like the mall) the hotel would've also connected the North Tower and South Tower's lobbies together if the hotel also had a direct connection to the South Tower's lobby like it did with the North Tower's lobby.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
That's weird that the North Tower was the only one that had a direct connection to the hotel. I expected that there would've also been a direct connection to the South Tower too, since (like the mall) the hotel would've also connected the North Tower and South Tower's lobbies together if the hotel also had a direct connection to the South Tower's lobby like it did with the North Tower's lobby.
I think there was. I was obsessed with the Twin Towers as a kid; models, drawings and all sorts of WTC related shit (still have them all) and I do remember entrances on the street level between 2WTC (the one with the observatory) and the hotel. It may have been open air passage way but you could access one from the other directly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think there was. I was obsessed with the Twin Towers as a kid; models, drawings and all sorts of WTC related shit (still have them all) and I do remember entrances on the street level between 2WTC (the one with the observatory) and the hotel. It may have been open air passage way but you could access one from the other directly.
An "open air passage way"? Do you mean how the hotel had a entrance on its south side like how the South Tower also had a entrance on its south side? Both the hotel and South Tower had entrances on their south side. So the South Tower and hotel had entrances close to each other, but they didn't a connection to each other at all.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
An "open air passage way"? Do you mean how the hotel had a entrance on its south side like how the South Tower also had a entrance on its south side? Both the hotel and South Tower had entrances on their south side. So the South Tower and hotel had entrances close to each other, but they didn't a connection to each other at all.
You walked out the door of one building towards the facing door of the other one.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
North Tower and Vista Hotel stood side-by-side to each other. Walking along the east face of the hotel, one would see the west face of South Tower (iow, southeast corner of the hotel was across from northwest of South Tower), so, no, there wouldn't have been a connection there.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 8:27 AM
Casagranda

I could not see the images so I did not know how it looked like.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 12:28 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Granda View Post
I could not see the images so I did not know how it looked like.
Can you see it like this?

Plaza Level (No connection)

Concourse Level (Connection between 1 and 3 WTC)

The other image is far too large and detailed to embed directly into a post.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:50 AM

The original 6 World Trade Center building had 8 stories?

Many websites say that the original 6 World Trade Center building had 8 stories, but according to this Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_Trade_Center), the building seems to only have 7 stories besides the underground mall.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

Who cares? Its gone.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:03 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Who cares?
Maybe people who are interested in architecture history?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The Sears Tower (I refuse to call it anything else) is described as having 110 floors but I think it really has 108.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 6:47 PM

^
I have been wondering about that but have been too embarrassed to ask. I grew up believing the Sears tower had 110 stories however most sources I find say 108.
The Willis Tower's website claims 110 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture