HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 9:28 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...704130330/1002

New wine store on Franklin Street-complete with news comment where one poster argues about the danger of alcohol, saying that not only the IJ promotes DUI, but also saying that pot is safer.
Only in Ithaca....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 1:22 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Amen

Here's a you tube vid showing some winter in Ithaca. Much was shot in my old hood (their place is across the street from the apartment building I grew up in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUeaRrZ6oU

I like the music too.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Apr 14, 2007 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
Rachacha rez

Here's a recent post about Pyramid and Triphammer Malls from the Labelscar website (a mall junkie website.) It's about time they got to the Ithaca malls, considering a few months ago both Arnot and Oakdale malls were profiled here. I have to admit to being a regular at this site under my real name.

http://www.labelscar.com/new-york/py...riphammer-mall

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 7:27 PM
Missing the Gorges

Well, as long as the mall's doing well they can build and expand to their heart's content. There's been considerable retail and commercial growth up that way in the past few years, and if it supplies jobs, I'm happy. Although, most of them are only low-paying positions.
I love how my college buddies complains about the lack of chain stores here. and the "small mall north of the campus".

Oh, head's up from the Syracuse P-S- one of the buildings under construction on the flats right now is a Moe's Southwest Grill. It's about a quarter mile from the Tractor Supply Store under construction.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 9:37 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:

Oh, head's up from the Syracuse P-S- one of the buildings under construction on the flats right now is a Moe's Southwest Grill. It's about a quarter mile from the Tractor Supply Store under construction.
Are we talking about near Home Depot, or the other way?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 1:04 AM
Missing the Gorges

It's near the Tops Supermarket. and across the street from a Friendly's, I think.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
It's near the Tops Supermarket. and across the street from a Friendly's, I think.
So, is this a standalone in a new building in front of Wal-Mart, or replacing something that was there?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 3:20 PM
Missing the Gorges

Standalone, outparcel setup. If there was anything there before, I don't know.

From the journal-

IDP looks at future of Ithaca's downtown
http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704180328

Plans for the next five years-

300 additional housing units
~to be helped by the completion of the Green Street Garage in Novemeber, and the additon of new storefronts- the IDP claims 20 new ones in the past year, 110 over the past eight year (my question is, how many left?)

~a reinstatement of the tax abatement plan

~extending trails along Six Mile Creek

-and the article comes complete with locals commenting, some about the homogenising of Ithaca, and others complaining that specialty stores make Ithaca too expensive (I love when it's the locals that argue).

Last edited by Visiteur; Apr 18, 2007 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
Rachacha rez

That would be either a parking lot, or batting cages from the mini-golf/driving rangethat was there before Benderson bought the place out for the Wal-Mart plaza. My question about the storefronts is what will be done to promote pedestrian access along Green St, since 3 lanes of traffic whizzing along at 40 miles an hour really isn't what I think of when I want to go to a store.

Quote:
Standalone, outparcel setup. If there was anything there before, I don't know.

From the journal-

IDP looks at future of Ithaca's downtown
http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704180328

Plans for the next five years-

300 additional housing units
~to be helped by the completion of the Green Street Garage in Novemeber, and the additon of new storefronts- the IDP claims 20 new ones in the past year, 110 over the past eight year (my question is, how many left?)

~a reinstatement of the tax abatement plan

~extending trails along Six Mile Creek

-and the article comes complete with locals commenting, some about the homogenising of Ithaca, and others complaining that specialty stores make Ithaca too expensive (I love when it's the locals that argue).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 4:16 PM
Missing the Gorges

Here's some development news:

up for approval at the planning board meeting on Tuesday-

The Cliff street Apartments- 44 units in two three (3+)-storey buildings. The 3+ notations refers to a half floor, I think, so don't expect these to have flat roofs.

616 W. Buffalo Street- a two-storey, 17-unit building is planned. The site currently houses an auto-parts store.

Tim Horton's is coming to town.

Up at Cornell, the design for Gates Hall is expected to be released within the next month. It would appaear a space just west of Rhodes Hall and just south of Upson Hall would be it's future site. What currently sits there is a parking lot and a small grassy knoll.

http://www.cityofithaca.org/vertical/Sites/{5DCEB23D-5BF8-4AFF-806D-68E7C14DEB0D}/uploads/{958EA7FF-31FD-4721-877E-25472311E8BD}.PDF

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:19 PM
Rachacha rez

Just what I needed, another excuse to go home...(Must have Timbits....)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 2:04 AM
Missing the Gorges

Crap! Screw you Florence, Kentucky! You're nothing more than a sprawlburb anyway with a horse racetrack!

Emerson Power Transmission to move headquarters to Kentucky
From Journal staff reports

Emerson Power Tranmission confirmed Monday that the company will relocate its headquarters from Ithaca to Florence, Ky., outside of Cincinnati. The move is expected to affect about 55 higher-level employees, some of whom will stay in Ithaca in new roles, while others will move on to Kentucky.

“There will be some workforce reductions,” said David Baldridge, a company spokesperson.

The company will continue its manufacturing operations in Ithaca, which employ about 400 people.

For more information, see Tuesday's Ithaca Journal.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 3:22 AM
Missing the Gorges

So Ex, have you heard about the Ithaca Gun proposal?

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704250322

Of course, it's limited to 45 feet-so a 4 1/2 storey building is being considered. And any development here would have a positive benefit for the community.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
So Ex, have you heard about the Ithaca Gun proposal?

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704250322

Of course, it's limited to 45 feet-so a 4 1/2 storey building is being considered. And any development here would have a positive benefit for the community.
Very interesting. Let's see how long and how costly the cleanup of the site will take. This will probably be the same issue up on South Hill in about 10-15 years when the Emerson/Morse Chain plant closes (Notice that I'm saying when, not If, since none of Emerson's actions over the last 25 years has convinced me that they will stay here any longer than they have to in order to get the benefits from the jobs they moved here from Syracuse a few years back.)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 1:36 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704260361

So on the flats, there are four retail properties under construction. One was the outparcel restaurant Moe's SW Grill. Another is a 72,000 sq. ft. Kohl's next to Home Depot.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:58 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704260361

So on the flats, there are four retail properties under construction. One was the outparcel restaurant Moe's SW Grill. Another is a 72,000 sq. ft. Kohl's next to Home Depot.
So Kohl's is looking to open in October (Having just worked with their representatives on one here in Florida, their game plan to open a bunch of stores at once throughout the country two times a year. The store I was working on and the other store in town (Tallahassee, FL) would have opened at the same time as the Ithaca store, but issues with the stormwater ponds have led the store I worked on to probably be delayed till next year.) I would have liked to have seen it closer to town, say in the Wal-Mart/Lowes Plaza or in Lansing, that will be one less reason for people to drive to Vestal or Syracuse. My question is will it be a 1 or 2 story store?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 9:33 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.ithacajournal.com/apps/pb...WS01/704280336

So, for the first time ever, southern magnolia trees have been thriving in the Ithaca area (unlike star magnolias, which are common here, the southern varieties stay green all year round). Sounds like global warming oh noes!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 2:34 PM
Rachacha rez

Now if a bunch of Live Oaks with Spanish Moss are planted on the Commons, Ithaca can be Tallahassee with hills....

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:57 PM
Missing the Gorges

Well, I would like to see some palmettos up this way in a few years...

Where has Ex-Ithacan been lately?

Well anyways, this project slipped under my radar.Sales have begun for this 4-storey, 18-unit project, Bella Vista. It utilises Beverly Martin elementary in the city, so I suspect this can't be too far from the Inlet Island/West End area. It is currently under construction.
http://images.homescape.com/normal/l...5/75737574.JPG

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Hey guys, sorry for the MIA stuff. I needed a break.

Found this in the Cornell Sun today (sorry to steal your thunder Vis, and thanks for keeping the thread going).

C.U. Unveils New Look For Johnson Museum
By Therese Lahlouh
Sun Staff Writer
May 1 2007
University officials unveiled plans yesterday for a new addition to the north side of The Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art scheduled to open in 2010.

The construction of the addition, which was part of the original plan for the Museum, will begin in the spring of 2008, according to the press release. I.M. Pei and & Partners — now Pei Cobb Freed & Partners — initially planned to have an addition that was mostly underground, extending into the gorge on the north side of the Museum, with a large picture window overlooking the gorge. However, this is no longer possible.

“We couldn’t do it years ago because of financial reasons, and we can’t do it now for environmental reasons. Even I would be against it,” said Franklin Robinson, the director of the Museum. Laying the foundation.: (Courtesy of Cornell University.) A model of the proposed expansion to the Johnson Museum unveiled yesterday by the University.

Instead, according to Robinson, a 16,000 square foot addition will be built, with 14,000 feet of that structure underground. The addition will allow the Museum to showcase its rapidly expanding collection.

“When we opened, the Museum had 9,000 works of art. We’ve got over 32,000 works now. We have a third more visitors. In 1990 we had 67,000 visitors. We now have over 82,000 visitors,” Robinson said. “We have more programs, more staff, and we just plain need more space … This allows us to present more programs and share more works of art from the permanent collection … about 400 more than we are showing now.”

The Museum has been working toward creating this addition since its opening, but University approval only came within the last few years. The University wanted proof that the Museum needed the extra space, and the Museum rose to the challenge.

“The University said ‘we don’t know that you need the extra space,’ so we had an external review panel come in with three museum directors, and they studied all our operations. They concluded that we needed the space,” said Peter Gould, assistant director for administration and finance of the Museum.

The University acknowledged this need, but insisted that the Johnson raise its own money for the construction. According to Robinson, the addition was funded largely by three bequests. Clara Seley and Paul Ehrenfest each donated half a million dollars to the project, and a third anonymous bequest was larger, but its current value is unknown.

The project is estimated to cost $17 million, and $15 million has already been raised. Now that the University has approved the plan and most of the money is in, the project is in full swing.

“The first [University] approval to go through with this came two-and-a-half years ago, and once that happens, you’re sort of moving right along. You’re really working hard at getting that University approval,” Gould said.

Since that approval, the project has been going smoothly, according to Gould. All that remains of the initial plans is the final board approval.

‘We’ve been working with the city all along, just to make sure that we haven’t drawn anything that they’re going to object to. We haven’t presented it to the board officially yet, but we’re not expecting any surprises,” Gould said.

According to Gould, the schematic design of the addition was submitted last week. The expansion will particularly affect the Museum’s large Asian gallery, which is one of its most vital collections.

“When a lot of people think of Asian art, they think of it as a monolithic culture, and it’s not,” Gould said.

According to Gould, the addition will free up 50 percent of the space in the current Asian gallery, which will aid in visually separating the various aspects of Asian art.

Associate Director and Ames Curator of Education of the Museum Cathy Klimaszewski is particularly excited for the educational opportunities the addition will provide.

“There will be a new studio workshop area, and this will allow us to have art supplies so we can work with kids, students, adults and families in the workshop,” Klimaszewski said.

Aside from added offices and galleries, the addition will also include a new lecture hall that will facilitate classes and presentations, with an annexed visitor space.

“This will improve the visitor experience considerably. You can have a lecture and move into the gathering space and have a place to sit,” Klimaszewski said.

An innovative feature of the addition is an open storage section. Currently featured in museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, the open storage allows the Museum to showcase a much larger selection of its permanent collection.

“Instead of just shutting all the artwork behind closed doors, they have some of it out in glass cases so that people can see more of the collection than they could normally see,” Klimaszewski said.

According to Klimaszewski, there will be a hand-held computer tour that will help visitors navigate the open storage artwork. This technology is already implemented in the Asia collection currently housed in the Museum.

Robinson and Klimaszewski have high hopes for the addition, and its potential to draw a larger visitor base and to provide more to those visitors.

“What is going to be great is that this changes the museum and its service — its ability to reach out to the rest of the community, to the Cornell students and the wider community — it changes our ability to present works of art to the public as they come in,” Robinson said.

“I think this will just generally be a great place for people to be,” Klimaszewski said.

By Therese Lahlouh at May 1 2007 - 1:20am | Top Story | News Story

Here's the rendering for what it's worth:

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast