HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
You guys are raggin' on Robertson Road, but I don't see how this is any different than Farrhaven or any other random Innes Road section of Orleans, OR the dreaded Meadowlands parking lot condos at Toys'R'us. How is this different? Explain to me.

Except that Robertson is an eclectic mix of 80's mini-malls that are already well developed and ready to serve the additional population, with a fun brewery in the back there, and a bunch of commercial condos ripe for providing employment. I've always found this area to be much like any main drag in a Northern Ontario 50k population town with Highway 17 or 7 whipping through it.

For transit, why can't these be built and a spur introduced to any random bus schedule that goes past? or are we not allowed density anymore unless it's on the O-Train main line?

I just feel bad for the trailer park people who lost not only their sanitary systems, but now their homes.

Edit: Having actually looked at the map, you also have a library, schools, park lands, and all the LCBO, shoppers, groceries, pizza, hamburgs, suzie Q's, all within a 2km circle.
I guess when viewed on a map it looks out of the way - I think it's an illusion because it's adjacent to the greenbelt.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:02 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

More updated imagery:

Last edited by rocketphish; Jul 6, 2022 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:09 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I just feel bad for the trailer park people who lost not only their sanitary systems, but now their homes.
No trailer park people are being displaced by this development. This site is to the north of Bellwood "Estates​​​".

Quote:
Edit: Having actually looked at the map, you also have a library, schools, park lands, and all the LCBO, shoppers, groceries, pizza, hamburgs, suzie Q's, all within a 2km circle.
The majority of Bells Corners' commercial strips are within 1km of this site.

Last edited by rocketphish; Jul 6, 2022 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:14 AM
ハルウララ

Giving a lot of tower(s) in the park. Needs to be within 5-10 mins. walk of some kind of rapid transit.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:39 PM

We shouldn't be approving random high density projects anywhere and then have to figure out how to service these developments with transit at a later date, that's a recipe for disaster. We already have a few high density/central areas of the city which we know are underserved by transit, should we be adding to this list?

As planned, this lot wouldn't even have a road connecting it to Robertson Road directly, only a MUP. I highly doubt residents here would walk to Robertson Road often or along Moodie drive through barren fields (green belt) & over the 417 overpass to reach Moodie LRT Station, especially in our climate (either rainy, snowy, +32 degree or any cold winter day).

At the $$ they would charge for this new development, most residents will have cars, let's not kid ourselves. It won't be lower income carless residents or students.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:35 PM

Do we all want a denser more sustainable city or not? I assume yes for just about everyone here - and this is a step in that direction. If this is built - whether transit improvements are available immediately or following construction is a moot point - it will happen eventually.

If this is an imperfect plan - so be it. Bells Corners is surrounded by the Greenbelt, so luckily it can't sprawl out any more - but it can get denser. North of Robertson road is the easiest place to develop - and has virtually all the services and shops already.

We're already subsidizing the infrastructure of low density suburbs with the property taxes of the denser areas - so in my books anything we can do to alleviate that is a good thing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
Do we all want a denser more sustainable city or not? I assume yes for just about everyone here - and this is a step in that direction. If this is built - whether transit improvements are available immediately or following construction is a moot point - it will happen eventually.

If this is an imperfect plan - so be it. Bells Corners is surrounded by the Greenbelt, so luckily it can't sprawl out any more - but it can get denser. North of Robertson road is the easiest place to develop - and has virtually all the services and shops already.

We're already subsidizing the infrastructure of low density suburbs with the property taxes of the denser areas - so in my books anything we can do to alleviate that is a good thing.
Kinda agree with this take. The more we can push for density the better it is. City needs rapid housing and it's growing at a rapid rate. Ottawa is still one of the fastest growing cities consistently with Edmonton and Calgary, all 3 of them will hit that 2 million mark in the 2040s if this keeps up. Not a perfect development and I much prefer we can force more density+retail mixed use alongside the actual stations (aka even the suburb main stations Barrhaven Town Centre/Kanata Town Centre/Riverside South) but this is definitely more helpful than not.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 10:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated proposal (June 2023)

Since the original submission in October 2021, the Master Plan has been revised in response to community meetings, stakeholder consultations, Urban Design Review Panel feedback, and technical reviews of the application. The Master Plan has been refined to include a large central public park space that, together with additional private greenspace, provides an east-west connection between the creek lands and the proposed multi-use pathway connection to Robertson Road.

The proposed Concept Plan for the Stillwater lands proposes a mid-rise built form south of the park with a series of low- and mid-rise buildings providing a suitable transition to the low-rise Bellwood Estates community to the south. North of the park, higher density development is proposed with seven (7) high-rise buildings envisioned atop six (6) storey podiums. The podiums would frame both the new public streets and internal courtyard spaces. A new public road connection continues to be proposed to Moodie Drive in the west which will serve as the road access for the proposed development. Active transportation connections are provided to Moodie Drive and Robertson Road to encourage cycling, walking, and transit use.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-21-0120.PDF

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-21-0120.PDF

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 11:15 PM

'Downtown Bells Corners'

I definitely never expected that to be a reality

What is with the awesome variety of building heights in this new proposal? Is that allowed in Ottawa? I thought we have to have tabletop skylines across the region, like in Kanata North.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 1:14 AM

feel like this is far fetched.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har13 View Post
feel like this is far fetched.
It will probably end up like most of the other similar projects in the NCR. They'll build one 20-24 story CharcWhite, possibly a second one a few years later, then it will stall out.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
'Downtown Bells Corners'

I definitely never expected that to be a reality

What is with the awesome variety of building heights in this new proposal? Is that allowed in Ottawa? I thought we have to have tabletop skylines across the region, like in Kanata North.

The image is of March Road/Terry Fox in Kanata North not Bells Corners.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
The image is of March Road/Terry Fox in Kanata North not Bells Corners.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:43 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 5:15 PM

Last edited by Landscape Lenny; Mar 23, 2024 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 5:10 AM

This remains one of the dumbest proposals in the city. Thousands of residents all relying on a single access route.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs