HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:46 PM

Soho Trim [1009 Trim Rd] | up to 100m | 26/28/32f | Proposed

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:46 PM

I really don't understand all of these towers at the edge of the city.

There's already Petrie Island 1, 2 and 3 I believe (with a couple others proposed), is there really THAT much pent up demand for high rise living in the suburbs?

Would much rather see a denser, shorter community of 5-8 floors with ground-level retail and parks/plazas than these "towers in a park"

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:08 PM

Since this is in the transportation forum, I assume these towers are on wheels?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Since this is in the transportation forum, I assume these towers are on wheels?
Oops...if a Mod could move this that would be great

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 9:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The owner of the subject property at 1009 Trim Road is proposing the development of a mixed-use building consisting of two (2) high-rise towers connected by a four (4)-storey podium containing ground floor commercial uses. Combined, the proposed development would include approximately 524 dwelling units and 565 square metres (approximately 6,082 square feet) of commercial space. The proposed towers can be described as follows: Tower B1, proposed to be located near the southwest corner of the subject property, close to the intersection of Jeanne-d’Arc Boulevard North and Trim Road, would be 28 storeys in height; and, Tower B2, proposed to be located to the northeast of B1 and connected to B1 via a 4-storey podium, would be 32 storeys in height.

Amenities and commercial uses are proposed to comprise the ground floor of the 4-storey podium. Potential commercial uses could include a convenience store, microbrewery, restaurant, spa, retail space, or grocery store. Commercial uses will be oriented toward the subject property’s front yard in order to provide greater access and visibility to members of the public. A commercial parking garage use is also being sought through the proposed zoning given that the Trim LRT station will be the eastern terminus of the City’s LRT system and there may be a desire to increase the park and ride opportunities in the immediate area.

Ground floor amenities will be generally oriented toward the rear of the subject property in order to provide privacy to the building’s residents and to capitalize on views toward the Ottawa River. Additional outdoor amenities are proposed to be provided at the rear of the proposed building, particularly in the northwest area of the subject property.

The second potential phase of development would add a third tower to the eastern end of the subject property, which would be connected to Tower B2 via a second four-storey podium. It is anticipated that the third tower would be 30 storeys in height and accommodate an additional 271 units, 477 m2 (5,134 ft2) of commercial, and 244 parking spaces either underground or in a podium.

Architect: RLA Architects

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__B026NT

Siteplan:

Conceptual renderings:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:45 PM

RLA Architects
Fuck

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:26 AM
Busy Beaver

This is pseudo-urbanism. High-rise dwellers who will be largely car-dependent.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
This is pseudo-urbanism. High-rise dwellers who will be largely car-dependent.
It IS almost right across the street from Trim station; there will be LRT almost to the doorstep.

The next question is, when does the city sell their works yard to allow development in that block (and a pedestrian bridge to the north side of the highway)?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:04 AM

I went to the Brigil sales centre during the summer and the saleswoman said this area will become similar to Lansdowne Park in the future but better according to her. She said tower 3 sales will start soon. Lots of boomers looking to sell their single family home for a place to stay in Orleans but enjoy condo lifestyle.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:21 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
It IS almost right across the street from Trim station; there will be LRT almost to the doorstep.

The next question is, when does the city sell their works yard to allow development in that block (and a pedestrian bridge to the north side of the highway)?
I bet those residents might use the LRT to go to work but will need a car for everything else.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
I went to the Brigil sales centre during the summer and the saleswoman said this area will become similar to Lansdowne Park in the future but better according to her. She said tower 3 sales will start soon. Lots of boomers looking to sell their single family home for a place to stay in Orleans but enjoy condo lifestyle.
I'd be interested to know how they envision it being like Lansdowne. Does she mean the mix of residential, retail and park land?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sure!

This is an all around terrible proposal. There's a great opportunity to have active frontage on Trim and Jeanne d'Arc, have an urban street drawing people from the station to Petrie Island, but no, build parking between the street and the development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I bet those residents might use the LRT to go to work but will need a car for everything else.
On the nose. Even with WFH likely to become more wide spread, both the City and developers continue to view transit as a commuter system only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

I ask myself the same question. The City has made it clear it expects private interest to build the bridge, but how's that possible if they don't sell the yard? They should aim to sell and have a new development complete by the time the east extension opens. The new development should also include a park-and-ride (parking structure or underground) so that they can then sell the existing p&r for more TOD.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I'd be interested to know how they envision it being like Lansdowne. Does she mean the mix of residential, retail and park land?
Yeah that's what she wanted to say. Groceries, retail, restaurants, dentist all near by. She showed me a picture in the brochure, it looked pretty good. She works in sales, so she'll say anything to get a sale.

I don't see what's wrong with people having a car living here and using the Otrain for work or to go downtown for fun while leaving the car behind. I would absolutely have a car if I bought here. This is Orléans after all. I need to go to Costco and my beer run to Gatineau.

I'd say people are buying here for the "view" and the outdoors that's near by like the bike trails, access to the water. It gets pretty busy here in the summer so its nice and there's not enough parking here to enjoy petri-island, its a shit show on the weekends.

Not sure how much these new towers will go for but the Brigil towers are expensive. They list that they have cheap units but looking at the floor plans there's basically 1 or 2 of those in the whole building. The rest is 450k up and way up to 700k

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with people having a car living here and using the Otrain for work or to go downtown for fun while leaving the car behind. I would absolutely have a car if I bought here. This is Orléans after all. I need to go to Costco and my beer run to Gatineau.
Slightly off topic, but do people really drive a 40km round trip to save a bit of money on beer?

I've got to think that it will be decades before this remotely resembles a self-contained multi-use community. Part of that will be due to shopping habits. I expect that the residents here won't stop spending most of their money in big box stores on Innes. Even the "adjacent" LRT requires pedestrians to cross a major highway at grade. Some will do it, but it isn't really set up for easy transit access.

Last edited by phil235; Oct 1, 2020 at 3:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Slightly off topic, but do people really drive a 40km round trip to save a bit of money on beer?
The answer to your question is yes. Driving from Orleans to Gatineau is closer than driving to IKEA. I just take the parkway and I usually stop at a few other places when I go there.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I don't know about beer, but my dad has always been willing to drive up to 40 km to save a few cents on gas.

Hoping this development includes a grocery store. Medical offices and a pharmacy would also be useful. The kind of bare-minimum stuff to make this a 15 minute community.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I ask myself the same question. The City has made it clear it expects private interest to build the bridge, but how's that possible if they don't sell the yard? They should aim to sell and have a new development complete by the time the east extension opens. The new development should also include a park-and-ride (parking structure or underground) so that they can then sell the existing p&r for more TOD.
I agree; I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on this. The city should absolutely be trying to sell that works yard with the requirement for the developer to build the bridge included as part of the conditions of the sale.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:54 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shart Simpson View Post
Where’d they find this plan? The toilet store?
I’m staying tuned to see if this post gets a Rocketphish “welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
I’m staying tuned to see if this post gets a Rocketphish “welcome to the forum!

Yes, I was debating whether this post, from an account created today, merits a welcome or a something else. I'm willing to wait and see if their second post is more revealing of their intent to participate in the discussion.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 11:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quebec company aiming high with proposal for trio of mixed-use towers in Orléans

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Oct 1, 2020 4:11pm EDT

A vegetation-covered parcel of vacant land near the future Trim Road LRT station could become the site of mixed-use towers soaring more than 30 storeys high under a proposal recently submitted at City Hall.

According to planning documents, a Quebec-based numbered company is looking at building as many as three highrises at the 8.6-acre property on the southeast corner of Trim Road and Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard North, just south of Highway 174. The first phase of the multi-stage project would see two buildings of 28 and 32 storeys connected by a four-storey podium.

The development would include about 524 residential units and roughly 6,000 square feet of commercial space. The developers list a number of potential users, including a convenience store, microbrewery, restaurant, spa or grocery store.

The plan also calls for nearly 470 parking spaces, nearly all of which would be located in an underground garage or the podium. The builders say they are also seeking zoning approval for a commercial parking garage “given that the Trim LRT station will be the eastern terminus of the City’s LRT system and there may be a desire to increase the park and ride opportunities in the immediate area.”

The developers are also leaving room for a potential second phase that would feature a third highrise of 30 storeys with an additional 270 residential suites and 5,000 square feet of retail space. Located at the eastern end of the property, the third building would be connected to the 32-storey tower via another four-storey podium.

The property is located less than 275 metres south of the Trim LRT station, which marks the eastern end of the under-construction O-Train Confederation Line expansion, which is expected to be completed by late 2024.

Speaking on behalf of the developers, planning consultant John Smit said the proposal represents exactly the kind of mixed-use project the city says it wants to see near transit nodes.

“This site is a great candidate for more intense development,” said Smit, calling the plan a “dynamic, high-intensity” development that would bring much-needed new jobs and additional housing to the east end.

The site is designated an “Urban Employment Area” under the current Official Plan and zoned “development reserve,” meaning it’s cleared for development but is subject to restrictions based on the specific uses proposed for the site.

The developers are seeking to have the lands rezoned for residential use and redesignated for mixed-use purposes under the city’s new Official Plan, which is expected to be finalized next year.

“Clearly, we feel that there’s an opportunity for some significant profile (at the site),” said Smit, noting that just a few hundreds metres east, Brigil is in midst of developing a mixed-use community that’s ultimately expected to include six residential towers as well as commercial space.

Smit, who retired last year from his previous role as the city’s head of economic development, did not want to name the developers behind the proposal. He said more details about the project will be revealed as it comes closer to fruition, including architectural drawings and a full site plan.

“We’re very much (in the) early stages right now,” Smit said.

https://www.obj.ca/article/real-esta...towers-orleans

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs