HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I'm jealous. This better than anything in Ottawa. It would be nice is the town centres in Orleans, Kanata, Centrepointe or Barrhaven looked like this.
I wouldn't get too excited. Developers in this region have a knack for making great ideas worse at the time of implementation.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:31 AM

Gym in Plateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseguin View Post
Does anyone know what they are building right next to the Cage in the Plateau?

Interesting how alot of developments in this area don't have signage or any notices posted to announce whatsoever what is going up.
It’s going to be a gym! As per an employee of the Cage.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:55 AM

It's going to be an Anytime Fitness. It's half finished and they had a tent outside selling memberships today.

The 'Downtown Plateau' megaproject if proceeding very quickly. The buildings are taking shape and there are dozens of tenants signed up. I am so impressed with the development in this neighbourhood that I decided to move here as of October 1st. I will move back out to the country in a few years but travel is my priority right now and I can't find a better urban area than the Plateau in the the region right now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's going to be an Anytime Fitness. It's half finished and they had a tent outside selling memberships today.

The 'Downtown Plateau' megaproject if proceeding very quickly. The buildings are taking shape and there are dozens of tenants signed up. I am so impressed with the development in this neighbourhood that I decided to move here as of October 1st. I will move back out to the country in a few years but travel is my priority right now and I can't find a better urban area than the Plateau in the the region right now.
That's great Harley! Solid choice. Should cut your commute significantly.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:21 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I decided to move here as of October 1st.
Hopefully we can do an SSP meetup at a pub in the hood there someday!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:18 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsaidd View Post
It’s going to be a gym! As per an employee of the Cage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613
Wow!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:23 PM

harls called the shot somehow, impressive as there is currently just one Anytime Fitness in the entire city of Gatineau. I searched Anytime Fitness on Google Maps and there is already a pin at this location.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:01 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Wow!
I just noticed your title as "mooderator" and got a chuckle out of it. Thanks for all the work and mooderating you do.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:01 AM

This project thread should be renamed 'Agora' for the final branding.
Recent Progress:
DJI_0033 by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 11:39 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Local developers welcome full return of Quebec construction industry
COVID-19 has delayed $250M Gatineau project by 6 weeks

CBC News
Posted: May 11, 2020 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

Developers in Gatineau, Que., say it's good news that work can resume Monday on commercial construction projects, even if COVID-19 has delayed the opening of one major mixed-development project in the city's Plateau district.

The $250-million Agora project, a small urban village planned to include apartments and businesses, had been scheduled to open its first section within a few weeks.

The construction site was closed March 24, however, and its opening pushed back another two-and-a-half months.

"We have several tenants waiting for a confirmation date of when we will be able to deliver their premises to them," said Charles Beaudoin, president of Divalco, one of the companies involved in the project.

On May 11, the entire construction industry in Quebec will restart, although with rules in place to protect workers from COVID-19.

Beaudoin told Radio-Canada in a French-language interview that while he welcomes the industry's resumption, he sees issues with completing housing units on time, even though certain residential projects were able to resume April 20.

"I think we're going to have a lot of problems, not just for us but in the residential sector throughout the region," he said. "Housing that was to be ready for July 1 — a majority of it will not be."

Geneviève Garnier, owner of the Urbanimal pet store, which plans to move into the new Agora development, remains optimistic.

"We adapted to the situation. This allowed us to have a moment to launch our online business for local deliveries early, which people appreciate,'" Garnier said.

Some developers, however, say they can't be as flexible.

"It will be up to us to adapt, but it will be very difficult to catch up with the six weeks of delay," said Shawn Côté, president of the Association de la construction du Québec's Outaouais region.

"Delivery dates are going to be a crucial issue, as well as personal protective equipment."

Côté is also concerned about a shortage of labour, as there are workers still in self-isolation or who may simply not return because they fear getting sick.

Guillaume Houle, another spokesperson for Quebec's construction association, said a majority of the province's contractors would be ready for Monday.

Houle said not all construction sites would initially operate at 100 per cent capacity, however, as safety guidelines from Quebec's workplace health and safety board need to be outlined for the workers and obeyed.

"Everybody has responsibilities. The workers have to protect themselves and their coworkers and the entrepreneurs have to provide the materials to the workers," he wrote in an email to CBC News.

With files from Alexandra Angers and Natalia Goodwin

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...d-19-1.5563654

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:43 AM

Were any of the Agora residential units offered for sale?

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Were any of the Agora residential units offered for sale?
I'm pretty sure it as a mix of condos and rentals, like the rest of Le Plateau.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:10 PM

Across the street from Agora, the Donalda-Charron Library is set to open this fall in Gatineau's Plateau district. Named for the first female union president in Canada (1919-1924).

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...eaef86544ca121

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Across the street from Agora, the Donalda-Charron Library is set to open this fall in Gatineau's Plateau district. Named for the first female union president in Canada (1919-1924).

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/g...eaef86544ca121
That's a great looking library. I'm always impressed when cities pay attention to the design of local neighbourhood amenities.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
That's a great looking library. I'm always impressed when cities pay attention to the design of local neighbourhood amenities.
Le Plateau is represented by the Gatineau city councillor who (IMO) has the most knowledge of urban planning and design issues by a longshot. So it's probably not a coincidence that interesting stuff is happening there.

Not that it matters, but she also happens to be very pretty.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Le Plateau is represented by the Gatineau city councillor who (IMO) has the most knowledge of urban planning and design issues by a longshot. So it's probably not a coincidence that interesting stuff is happening there.

Definitely one of the best Councillors in Gatineau. Hard working and progressive minded. The irony is that she was won by acclamation because the other candidate had to cease his campaign due to allegations of inappropriate conduct.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I know which one you mean. Didn't realize that she had a background in planning. It definitely matters that the councillor has a good knowledge of urban design, because the councillor's interests usually dictate what they prioritize. It also means that she will have a coherent view of planning, rather that pandering to every group that complains about some development or another.

My neighbourhood is full of lawn signs demanding that nothing be over six stories. Nothing at all. Not on the arterials, not on major corners, not along the highway. I would love for a councillor to push back on that and have a real conversation about what that would mean.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Man. As an Ottawa resident I'm so jealous of Gatineau. They seem to to the little stuff right. Every day I got work, I'm always impressed by them actually taking effort to get common street elements like lamp posts and garbage cans right.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Man. As an Ottawa resident I'm so jealous of Gatineau. They seem to to the little stuff right. Every day I got work, I'm always impressed by them actually taking effort to get common street elements like lamp posts and garbage cans right.
I have to agree with you regarding new neighbourhoods in the area. As for the older neighbourhoods it's a real crap shoot.

I really love what they are doing here in the Plateau. I miss country life but living in such a well planned area sandwiched between the Ottawa River and Gatineau Park is wonderful in it's own way.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's because we have a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

But yes, it does seem like there is a bit more of an effort being made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs