HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:00 PM

I didn't have a chance to go to the open house. Anyone know if the feedback was positive or not?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 10:28 PM

I got an e-mail today from the City of Ottawa;

Zoning – 3030 St. Joseph Boulevard R

This is to advise you that the above‑noted matter will be considered by the City of Ottawa Planning Committee on Thursday, September 10, 2020.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
I got an e-mail today from the City of Ottawa;

Zoning – 3030 St. Joseph Boulevard R

This is to advise you that the above‑noted matter will be considered by the City of Ottawa Planning Committee on Thursday, September 10, 2020.
Fingers crossed this will pass. Someone made a similar comment on the new Amazon Warehouse thread, but it's strange how that one went from proposal to approval to shovels in the ground within 2-3 months (still a lot of unknowns with that one) while other projects can take 6 months, a year, two years... The City's telling us that the Amazon project was absolute perfection while everything useless needs to be revised a million times until the architecture is knocked down to Ottawa levels of mediocrity.... Actually, that checks out.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Highrise application in Orléans has suburb on the cusp of growing up

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 05, 2020 • Last Updated 2 hours ago • 2 minute read

Orléans is closer to seeing highrise density near its flagship shopping centre as opposition lingers over a proposed apartment building.

Rarely does a planning report to council concede that a development application is “controversial” — and definitely not in the opening line of a report — but that’s what council members will read as they pore through the staff analysis of the proposal for 3030 St. Joseph Blvd.

The 16-storey highrise proposed by Torgan Group and designed by Rod Lahey would stand on a triangular property if the developer gets permission from city council to alter the site’s zoning, which currently allows a six-storey building.

The roughly 165-unit residential building would have retail space on the ground floor.

City staff are recommending that the planning committee on Thursday approve the rezoning application.

The city’s transit-orientated development program usually encourages high-density residential projects within 600 metres of rapid transit stations and the development site is within that range from the Place d’Orléans station, which will be converted for LRT by 2024.

There has been steady opposition from residents in the Queenswood Heights community related to the height of the proposed building, the potential increase in traffic and the compatibility with the adjacent neighbourhood.

Where residents warned about the stability of the slope along Duford Drive, the city is satisfied that constructing the highrise won’t be a problem, based on a geotechnical investigation.

The development application is receiving a more sympathetic ear from the current council representative compared to his predecessor.

Bob Monette, the former Orléans councillor, came out strong against the development application in 2017 when a 13-storey building was first proposed for the land.

Since then, the developer has shrunk the floor plate and added storeys in response to a design review.

The current councillor, Matthew Luloff, says the development “would be an exciting addition to the housing mix in Orléans.”

In his comments included in the staff report, Luloff wrote that the proposed highrise would fulfil a housing type that doesn’t exist in the suburb and help revitalize the main street. He expressed disappointment that the development company wouldn’t provide a public cut-through on the property, but hopes the company provides other benefits to the community.

In fact, the developer would need to provide $156,000 for area improvements under the “community benefits” section of provincial planning law.

“I acknowledge that some residents in the immediate vicinity are opposed to this project and I have worked hard with the developer to ensure as many of their concerns were addressed as possible,” Luloff wrote. “Change in an established neighbourhood is difficult, there’s no doubt about that. However, we need to ensure we are providing real housing options city-wide, especially in proximity to transit.”

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-4f4a4060edb7/

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:32 AM
The Caboose

I can see why some residents might be opposed as it will block their views, but it's hard to argue with all the benefits - TOD, more retail on a main street, etc. IMO it looks nice too.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:19 AM

Seems to be one of the rare projects where the updating renderings are better than the initial ones.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:31 AM

I guess y'all don't really need me to chime in on the pathetic 'architecture' of yet another Roderick Lahey copy paste steaming pile of shit, I feel like a record on repeat, so I'll just say that I think this is a great place for density and I hope this building gets built and attracts better tall buildings. I have always hated how the big box retail on Innes tore Orleans in half. I'd like to see life come back to St. Joseph and the proper centre of the community.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I guess y'all don't really need me to chime in on the pathetic 'architecture' of yet another Roderick Lahey copy paste steaming pile of shit, I feel like a record on repeat, so I'll just say that I think this is a great place for density and I hope this building gets built and attracts better tall buildings. I have always hated how the big box retail on Innes tore Orleans in half. I'd like to see life come back to St. Joseph and the proper centre of the community.
Got to admit that this is better than most of Lahey's work. Still "meh", but better. Not a complete copy-paste.

I agree, this is a great spot for density. Glad to see Luloff agrees despite local opposition (with their yes LRT, no TOD oxymoron). We see buildings going up in the central city 2-3-4+ times the permitted height near the current and future O-Train, next to SFH. Those get approved (for good reason), why not this one?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I hope St Joseph becomes a real urban-like environment. As it stands right now its a ghost of its former self, if you drive along it its kilometres of empty buildings and decaying parking lots.

I am a life long Orleans resident. Big box on Innes is an excellent example of the worst type of rapid sprawling development. No long term vision was present during those early years after the Ottawa annexation, and as a result we are now left with this high through and cross car traffic, poor pedestrian, awful cycling and terrible bus service stretch of deep parking lots and actual buildings far from the street.

They didn't even leave space to plant trees. Innes will remain an eye sore for decades to come.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 9:30 PM

I wonder what kind of retail is going to go in there now. I can't see any restaurants opening up in the covid19 era. Maybe a Circle K.

Looking at the building will this be condos or rentals?? What are your guesses?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
I wonder what kind of retail is going to go in there now. I can't see any restaurants opening up in the covid19 era. Maybe a Circle K.

Looking at the building will this be condos or rentals?? What are your guesses?
In terms of retail, it could be a restaurant. By the time the building is complete, Covid will be long gone (hopefully).

I'm assuming this will be rental. We don't see a whole lot of condos going-up nowadays.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:07 PM
The Caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In terms of retail, it could be a restaurant. By the time the building is complete, Covid will be long gone (hopefully).

I'm assuming this will be rental. We don't see a whole lot of condos going-up nowadays.
With today's market, developers lose by building condos. Those who buy early lock in on a price, which will go up over the course of the construction.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
With today's market, developers lose by building condos. Those who buy early lock in on a price, which will go up over the course of the construction.
The developer never loses. It's rule #1 ...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 9:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Proposal for controversial Orléans highrise receives planning endorsement

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 10, 2020 • Last Updated 15 minutes ago • 1 minute read

A Toronto developer has received the go-ahead from city council’s planning committee to build a 16-storey highrise near Place d’Orléans, despite opposition from some in an adjacent community.

Torgan Group would build on the triangular parcel of land at 3030 St. Joseph Blvd. if council provides the final approval later this month.

Four residents who addressed the planning committee on Thursday tried to convince councillors that the building isn’t appropriate for the property, which is at the base of an escarpment.

Ken Horne warned councillors about the risks with building on unpredictable leda clay and Michael Thornber called on councillors to ensure a “proper harmony” with the neighbouring Queenswood Heights community.

Elise Adams suggested that someone had “run wild with the idea of gateway site” to justify a high-rise development there.

However, Innes Coun. Laura Dudas said the project would set a positive tone for St. Joseph Boulevard and she expected similar applications on the road in her ward.

Architect Rod Lahey, who is designing the building, assured councillors that developers deal with leda clay on a regular basis and engineers on the project have provided the necessary comfort level.

“Done properly, it’s not an issue,” Lahey said.

Miguel Tremblay, the developer’s planning consultant, said additional geotechnical studies will be “even more construction-specific” to reflect the architectural design.

While residents criticized the building’s height, Tremblay argued that the the high-rise would provide an appropriate transition to the community.

The developer hasn’t decided if the building will have condos or rental units, though Lahey said the design is, so far, geared toward the rental market.

The planning committee was unanimous in its support. Council will consider the committee’s recommendation on Sept. 23

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-bc80dfaa28af/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 9:59 PM

This project is exciting. The area around Place d'Orleans and all along St. Joseph has so much potential as a village and mini-downtown.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 12:12 AM
Longtime lurker

This could be the spark that transforms St. Joseph or the PDO area into a desirable destination. Havong denser residential buildings surrounding the mall is long overdue, especially with a rapid transit station and two grocery stores nearby.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 12:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by funforgot View Post
This could be the spark that transforms St. Joseph or the PDO area into a desirable destination. Havong denser residential buildings surrounding the mall is long overdue, especially with a rapid transit station and two grocery stores nearby.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:51 AM

Great news!!

I've been waiting 3years to see when this would get approved. Can't wait to see when they start construction.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:25 PM
Longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Believe it or not, I've been lurking and enjoying reading the messages for about decade. Thanks for the welcome!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:00 PM

So many NIMBYs showed up at the planning meeting! "It's not within 500 meters for transit (but it's 400 as the crow flies)", "it's not adjacent to the mall, it's across the street from it", "this building will cause traffic chaos but does not have enough parking". The only legitimate worry was the leda clay IMO.

On the other hand, urbanites and urban associations showing up for the R4 zoning debate were all for it, but had reasonable asks like dynamic facades (which were part of the original plan, but dropped by request from developers), placing garbage indoors, improving streets for pedestrians and cyclists, more park space, safeguards for affordable housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs