HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
Last I heard at the beginning of the year this is onhold until 2019. Bob Monette did not support the height of this proposal. He is now retiring and we have 17new candidates running for Orleans ward. I wonder out of the gang who would be the most to support this style of intensification?

According to the Ottawa citizen.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawaci...-to-voters/amp
I wonder if it has even been raised as an issue in the campaign?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 12:17 PM

A lot of them are to be campaigning on revitalizing St-Joseph as a sort of Wellington West/Westboro type area, pointing to the upcoming O-Train expansion as a catalyst, so I should hope they would support this proposal.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
A lot of them are to be campaigning on revitalizing St-Joseph as a sort of Wellington West/Westboro type area, pointing to the upcoming O-Train expansion as a catalyst, so I should hope they would support this proposal.
Possibly, though you don't need tall buildings to have increased density. Townhouses and 3 story buildings give decent density for TOD while still having the potential for a community atmosphere (you can still know most of your neighbours).

I know this page has a lot of skyscraper fans, but bigger isn't always better. I am not sure what the benefit of having that many people move to Orleans is. It isn't as if there is a lack of land that could be developed/densified closer to the core.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Possibly, though you don't need tall buildings to have increased density. Townhouses and 3 story buildings give decent density for TOD while still having the potential for a community atmosphere (you can still know most of your neighbours).

I know this page has a lot of skyscraper fans, but bigger isn't always better. I am not sure what the benefit of having that many people move to Orleans is. It isn't as if there is a lack of land that could be developed/densified closer to the core.
Developers don’t build to get people to move somewhere, they build to fulfill an existing demand for housing. The more of this demand that can be fulfilled within close proximity to rapid transit benefits an entire community by having that many less cars on the road. These people will be moving to Orleans regardless of what happens at this site, so why not build to a higher density? I can see Place d’Orleans parking lots being infilled with tall buildings in the future and this will probably end up being a smallish periphery building. Increased density doesn’t mean less community, it means more people walking around and interacting with each other at street level, and creates demand for pedestrian-scale services which actually enhance a community.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
Developers don’t build to get people to move somewhere, they build to fulfill an existing demand for housing.
They build for projected (not existing) demand. Some of that demand is induced by their development.

Quote:
The more of this demand that can be fulfilled within close proximity to rapid transit benefits an entire community by having that many less cars on the road.
I never said there shouldn't be TOD for the area, only that I am not convinced that the density is appropriate at this time. There are better places for dense TOD.

Quote:
These people will be moving to Orleans regardless of what happens at this site, so why not build to a higher density?
I don't see that as being a valid assumption. Most people move out of the city into the distant suburbs to own a house, not to rent an apartment or buy a condo. Yes some might choose to live there to be close to their family or close to their work, but many of those will still want a house. Most of those people will end up needing a car anyway as this development won't be transit friendly for anyone not going downtown.

Also, people can only live where there are places to live. Are you assuming that houses in Orleans will go vacant because of this development? If we are wanting to build affordable housing for people to have an easy commute to downtown, wouldn't it be even better for them to be near one of the other LRT stations closer to town? It isn't as if we are short of TOD opportunities in this city.

Quote:
I can see Place d’Orleans parking lots being infilled with tall buildings in the future and this will probably end up being a smallish periphery building.
For what purpose? If your aim is to build a dense, central employment hub in Orleans to which we have fast, frequent transit, then sure. If the plan is to turn it into a dense bedroom community, I don't see the wisdom in that.

Quote:
Increased density doesn’t mean less community, it means more people walking around and interacting with each other at street level, and creates demand for pedestrian-scale services which actually enhance a community.
Community isn't just about services and being in a crowd, it is about getting to know people and developing relationships. If you see a few people on a regular basis, you will get to know them well. If you are in a large crowd of people, some may be the same as you saw before, but they all blur together and you don't end up getting to know anyone (they end up living in a bubble).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:36 AM

I was digging on google last night for any info from the meeting held in February this year and I found this report:

Urban Design Review Panel Recommendations March 1st, 2018

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...ELKj6DA3iOtnTn

Looks like they got told to modify their proposal. Including bringing down the height to 8 stories max.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:53 PM

For the most part, the recommendations seem pretty good.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Update on 3030 St-Joseph Blvd, corner of Dufort and St-Joseph from our President, Emilie-Anne Duval:
I, along with Councillor Luloff and fellow residents attended a meeting of the Design Committee at City Hall this afternoon. The builder has come back with a rectangular building with a smaller footprint, with a higher rise of 17 stories. The first few floors are wider, with the upper floors more narrow. The bottom corner is a terrasse area, and the footpath to cut through the hill is gone. The committee members asked them to look at further slendering the building, to provide pedestrian views ( the ones provided were from a higher vista), and to explore options to keep a path to cut through. There will likely be a meeting for the community with the building sometime in November at Ray Friel (which we will make sure to advertise in this group). There are no current plans for a further meeting with the city- also to note that the design committee meetings occur before any formal proposal can be made to the planning committee.
http://queenswoodheights.com/en/home/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 4:02 AM
R2-D2's army of death

so it's taller now but narrower. I eagerly await the reports of cardiac arrest from the locals.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:04 PM

From the sounds of it, the previous version was much more interesting. Eager to see the new renderings.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 7:40 PM

The Urban Design Review Panel Recommendations on March 1st, 2018. Recommended a max height of 8 stories and now they are talking about 17 stories. That's kind of a strange outcome. All the people who were crying over this proposal were talking about how the hill couldn't handle that big of a building. So maybe that's the case why the new proposal is much more narrow but higher.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Revised siteplan:

Updated renderings:

(our favourite architect strikes again)

from: http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__AT9WEH

Last edited by rocketphish; Oct 22, 2019 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:03 PM

Set back from St. Joseph is too high. We should be trying to build a streetwall there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:22 AM

Wow! What a difference in design. The earlier version was more of a unique looking building I'd day but this one is higher and the look is darker and more urban. The first one looked kind of like a retirement looking building.

One thing I notice is they're taking up more space near the edge of the curb and leaving more green space at the back of the building. The curb is all paved and landscaped now leaving this multipurpose looking area, that was supposed to be a patio for a "restaurant" tenant. They are really focusing on that curb even showing multiple angles. Was that one of the biggest complaints by the neighborhood? I know the complaint about the hill not being able to hold such a big building was one.

I live near by and I can't wait to see this go up. I really hope it's a condo and not rentals I would be interested to get a unit for income for now and to pass on to my son later on.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:02 PM

If this is approved , when can we guess shovels start digging, in the spring? It looks to me that the builder, the city and the queenswood heights community association talked alot between themselves during the last 2 years after the last proposal and came up with this new proposal. I can't see why this wouldn't go through this time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

I preferred the previous proposal's relationship with the corner, but overall this new proposal is superior. Less bulky, more modern. Original proposal was a bit too post-modern (popular in the 80s and 90s) in design.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:17 PM

DELETE: Post was meant for the Canadian Proposal tread.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 12:51 AM

Does it really have to be that tall? 5-10 stories' height should suffice, I'd think.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 12:52 PM

It's close enough to the future PDO LRT station to be able to pack on extra height. I believe the builder revised the original plan made it slimmer but now taller than the original 12 stories to make up for the lost square footage.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:33 PM

https://matthewluloff.ca/2019/10/22/...oul-st-joseph/

Quote:
A Zoning By-law Amendment application for 3030 St. Joseph Blvd. has been resubmitted.A previous application to consider a 12 storey mixed-use building has been amended to consider a thinner 16-storey mixed-use building consisting of 165 residential units over 426 square metres of retail on the ground floor facing St. Joseph Blvd.

To view the details of the application and/or submit comments to the planner click here.

An information session will be hosted by the applicants’ consultant, Fotenn. The drop-in style event will allow residents to share their comments and learn more about the proposal from the applicant.

What: Information session on the Zoning By-law Amendment application at 3030 St. Joseph Blvd.
When: Wednesday November 13th from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Fallingbrook Room, Ray Friel Recreation Complex, 1585 Tenth Line Rd.
Who: Fotenn Planning + Design, City of Ottawa

Representatives from Fotenn will be prepared to discuss several components of their application including: geotechnical evaluations, transportation study, design and urban planning.

City of Ottawa planners will also be on-site to provide information on the development application process.

What is a Zoning By-law Amendment?

Before and after entering office in December 2018, I have been hearing concerns from several residents in Queenswood Ridge, especially from those living on Duford Dr. and Kennedy Lane East, regarding the proposed building at 3030 St. Joseph Blvd. During the transition period with Bob Monette, I spent a considerable amount of time learning the history of the file. When I first met with the applicant, and their consultants Fotenn, I was clear in my desire to see these concerns addressed in any subsequent designs.

Chiefly, these concerns were:
•Soil stability and capacity to support a building, given the history of the site.
•The width of the building and its intrusion of the view from Kennedy Lane East. I asked that the bulkiness of the building be reduced to make it less imposing.
•Sightlines for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians at the intersection of Duford Dr. and St. Joseph Blvd., especially those turning right on to St. Joseph.
•The placement of the entrance to the underground garage so close to the intersection of St. Joseph Blvd. and Duford Dr. I requested that the entrance be moved as far to the west of the site as possible in order to ensure enough space for exiting vehicles to safely merge into the left turn lane for Place d’Orléans Dr.

Following two meetings I have had with the applicant and Fotenn, I have been presented with revised concept plans that address these concerns as best as possible.

Further soil sample testing has been conducted and no stability issues have been identified.

Sightlines have been drastically improved by reorienting the site as well as removing the nose of the building – replacing it with a landscaped area. Bulking has been reduced significantly by redesigning the shape of the building, making it slimmer and more modern-looking.

The entrance to underground parking is now located at the furthest western point of the site, providing more room for motorists to turn onto Place d’Orléans Dr.

I know that many of you will agree that St. Joseph Blvd. requires a complete revamp. The lack of residential and mixed-use buildings means that our aging and under-used strip malls are growing tired and deterring the kind of investment that Orléans needs.

The LRT project provides a major opportunity for us to reshape our main street, attract jobs, grow our economy, and modernize our community. We cannot let this opportunity pass us by. I have been working hard with my colleagues and staff to develop new Secondary Plans and Community Improvement Plans to incentivize residential and mixed-use buildings near LRT stops in order to maximize the potential for job growth, improve our services and retail spaces, and to encourage rentals and affordable housing in our community.

We are incredibly fortunate to have four planned LRT stops in Orléans Ward. We need to attract business back into our core, ensure our seniors have a place to downsize and provide affordable, convenient housing close to transit, all while redesigning and modernizing our main street. There is no point in continuing the exercise of window dressing projects on St. Joseph. A coat of paint or new siding will not accomplish any of what I have set out to do. We need transformative change and 3030 St. Joseph represents the beginning of this change. I like the new designs and feel that they represent exactly what we need to accomplish.

I know some will be disappointed with the proposed height on this property. I encourage every resident with concerns to come out to the upcoming information sessions and to express these concerns.

I encourage everyone to attend the upcoming information session with an open mind and with the optimism that change is long overdue, that services and streetscape will improve, and that Orléans is finally taking its place as a modern, forward-thinking community within the beautiful City of Ottawa.

Matthew

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs