HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 2:27 AM

Some news about the expansion, according to the Bayshore Development website (under the "News" section):

Quote:

Phase One of the Bayshore Redevelopment project will be complete this fall!

In addition to Ottawa's first H&M, Victoria's Secret and PINK, Bayshore Shopping Centre will also be joined by such retailers as Zara, Pandora, Brown's Shoes, Ben Moss Jewellers and Michael Hill. The centre's new parking deck will open, creating 500 additional spaces. The access ramp off Richmond Road will also re-open, alleviating the detour currently required.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:24 PM

Coming along quite nicely!!

The new garage is Phase 1a, I believe the 'Phase One' this fall is the space that Zellers used to take up.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:31 PM

Got some pics yesterday.

The new garage is gorgeous...and LEVEL!!! Looks like the entire thing will be clad in blue glass and stone.

Does anyone have any idea why the old garage was built so poorly? All kinds of weird angles and slopes and uneven areas...It's like the builder didn't have a level and eyeballed everything.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:40 PM

Say goodbye to the pink and green and brass!!!

Crazy Temporary Stairs!!!

Top and bottom floor have new floors, you can compare to the middle floor with the old style.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:43 PM

A whole lot of scaffolding up! All this work and it barely affects the operation of the stores, quite impressive!

The new Sony store is gorgeous! The old one was the second place I ever worked and I was there at the grand opening in 1998, Yesterday I was able to make the grand opening of the new one 15 years later!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:40 PM

Thanks for the pictures, brother. Looking forward to this!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:20 PM

I'm assuming the sketchy garage we are talking about is the one that used to be on the corner of Richmond and Bayshore Drive. That thing scared the hell out of me! Not sure why I always parked there. The garage, and in fact the whole mall was built in an awkward location and I assume that is why the parking structures are not well laid out. Anyone know what came first; the mall or the neighbourhood to the north?

Anyway, looking good. The new garage will look much better than Rideau's. And good for them for attracting all these new retailers before Rideau. Serves them well for dragging expansion plans for the last 13 years and not utilizing the Ogilvy building (may it rest in pieces).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:47 PM

I agree... The big advantage with Bayshore is that they are renovating now and will attract all these new retailers before anyone else! I know I only used to visit Bayshore maybe once or twice a year (because its farther then St-Laurent and Rideau for me) and because it had the same stores anyways. But not that it is getting all these new stores I will be going probably monthly.

I think especially the H&M and Victoria Secret alone will bring a lot of people there... Good for them...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 9:18 PM

Good to see, thanks for the pictures Harley! I work in Bells Corners and used to live in Bayshore for 10 years so I frequent the mall quite a bit.

Can't wait to see the final product. This and the new factory outlet near the CTC will keep shoppers in the West End busy for sure.

I am surprised the Sony store is still kicking around (even expanding). I believe they have closed shops in some other malls (including the one in the Rideau Centre) as more people are purchasing products online. I like to check it out every now and again though, wishing I could build a home theatre just like the one they have on display :-)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 9:43 PM

Bayshore has always felt...weird. Seemingly out of place for a suburban mall in a high-density area with an urban design.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm assuming the sketchy garage we are talking about is the one that used to be on the corner of Richmond and Bayshore Drive. That thing scared the hell out of me! Not sure why I always parked there. The garage, and in fact the whole mall was built in an awkward location and I assume that is why the parking structures are not well laid out. Anyone know what came first; the mall or the neighbourhood to the north?

Anyway, looking good. The new garage will look much better than Rideau's. And good for them for attracting all these new retailers before Rideau. Serves them well for dragging expansion plans for the last 13 years and not utilizing the Ogilvy building (may it rest in pieces).
When the neighbourhood was being built in the mid to late 60's the mall was just a strip mall anchored by a Steinberg's grocery store. When the community was mostly built (early-mid 70's) they knocked down the strip mall and built a two-story shopping centre (with attached two-story parking garage). The mall still had a Steinberg's though, in the place at the back (sticking out the south side) where the Les Ailes was for a few years. The anchor tenants were The Bay at the west end, and Eaton's at the east end.

That's Steinberg's was great. You used to be able to shop, pay, and leave your groceries in the paper bags, a bag boy would staple numbers to your bags and give you slips with the same number. Your bags would be put in plastic bins, placed on roller belts and slid out of sight. Then you'd walk out to your car and drive up the outside side door (main door was a very wide (80'+) interior opening facing north into the mall). Hand your slips to a bag boy and they'd find your bin(s) and slide them on rollers to the sidewalk where the bag boy would pop your truck and load you up with groceries. Easy peasy.

The grocery store left sometime in the 80's.

Sometime in the 80's they added a third floor to the mall, and a third floor to the parking structure, but it wasn't designed as a three floor garage so the third floor was a separate structure, with supports that went through holes cut in the second floor. That's why there were pillars in odd places. And why the entrances on the third floor don't line up with the entrances from the second floor. And why the Bay has no third floor entrance from the West (no third floor garage there). But a new 5 floor garage at the east end meant Eaton's had a third floor entrance from the east and north.

As to the garage slopping, I think that was intentional as a place to dump second floor snow (back when the second floor was the top floor). It could accumulate there and melt there without flooding a large area of the floor.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 1:05 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
That's Steinberg's was great. You used to be able to shop, pay, and leave your groceries in the paper bags, a bag boy would staple numbers to your bags and give you slips with the same number. Your bags would be put in plastic bins, placed on roller belts and slid out of sight. Then you'd walk out to your car and drive up the outside side door (main door was a very wide (80'+) interior opening facing north into the mall). Hand your slips to a bag boy and they'd find your bin(s) and slide them on rollers to the sidewalk where the bag boy would pop your truck and load you up with groceries. Easy peasy.
The Loblaws at Elmvale Mall was like that until the late 90s. I don't know if that's still the case though.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 11:09 AM
Living With My Mother

I think that 'car service' or 'car order' was a part of the Steinberg's set-up.

Steinberg's at Hazeldean Mall had this and I recall Elmvale being a Steinberg.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
When the neighbourhood was being built in the mid to late 60's the mall was just a strip mall anchored by a Steinberg's grocery store. When the community was mostly built (early-mid 70's) they knocked down the strip mall and built a two-story shopping centre (with attached two-story parking garage). The mall still had a Steinberg's though, in the place at the back (sticking out the south side) where the Les Ailes was for a few years. The anchor tenants were The Bay at the west end, and Eaton's at the east end.

The grocery store left sometime in the 80's.

Sometime in the 80's they added a third floor to the mall, and a third floor to the parking structure, but it wasn't designed as a three floor garage so the third floor was a separate structure, with supports that went through holes cut in the second floor. That's why there were pillars in odd places. And why the entrances on the third floor don't line up with the entrances from the second floor. And why the Bay has no third floor entrance from the West (no third floor garage there). But a new 5 floor garage at the east end meant Eaton's had a third floor entrance from the east and north.

As to the garage slopping, I think that was intentional as a place to dump second floor snow (back when the second floor was the top floor). It could accumulate there and melt there without flooding a large area of the floor.
Thanks. Nice to know that history!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:42 PM

Here's the latest photo update from Bayshore's website:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 10:09 PM

Victoria Secret is set to open on October 4th (as per their website)

Also I noticed that Old Navy is moving to the second floor close to The Bay. Looks like it will occupy a smaller space. Wonder what will take their place upstairs? Probably be split into more than one store? Or... going out on a limb... a Forever 21?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:32 PM

I found this document w/ the new plan of the addition on the Ivanhoe Cambridge website!

http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/CMS/...esentation.pdf

its a bit hard to read the name of the stores on the plan, but it shows J-Crew and Forever XXI on it, and the Target will be on the 3rd floor

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTBARR View Post
I found this document ...
Nice find! And welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 5:21 PM

Holy shit!! PF Changs across from Moxies on the third floor!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:47 PM

Ok, I squinted and zoomed and here is what I gleaned from those fuzzy leasing plans of stores coming:

White House Black Market
Zara
Justice
Lego
Disney
J Crew
Bootlegger
Journey's
Scotch and Soda
Steve Madden
Express Men
Johnston and Murphy
Coach
Lululemon
Browns Shoes
Miss Sixty
Skechers
Express
Geox

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs