HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
CORYB- Just for fun, if you were in charge of the Sears location at Polo Park, what would you do with the space? And just for fun, what do you think/predict will actually happen? Drop some names that you think will eventually land at Polo Park.

Some Canadian malls are going the food market/hall route, can you see CF Polo Park doing that? Maybe in the Forever 21 location?
Pretty sure I have covered this one before.

My guess, given the configuration on the Sears space over two floors with limited potential for mall access is as follows.

1. Split the Sears space in half along the north-south (Sears-Bay) line.
2. The section closest to Portage Ave would become Simons, potentially retaining the west side parking lot entrance and escalators in place. A new mall entrance to the first floor space would be added opposite Sports Check.
3. Some of the small stalls along the main floor Sears wall would be pushed further into the Sears space making them more a normal mall depth.
4. The existing main floor Sears entrance would be used for a mini-anchor of such, lets call it Microsoft Store to put a name to it.
5. Similar treatment to the second floor Sears entrance but lets call this split of the space Uniqlo.
6. What about that Sears loading dock area you say? How about some super premium heated and covered underground public parking. Keep in mind the space is roughly the same size as the Sears above ground.

I also strongly thing Zara is another contender. They are everywhere in other markets. Sort of covered that in the Forever 21 post though as that is going to be a tougher spot to carve up so ideally they want a single tenant wanting the 37,000 sq ft there. The blended Zara/Zara Home could reasonable cover that. That said there isn't a hybrid Zara/Zara Home yet and the Home store is a fairly new subbrand for them. That said CF is an important landlord and would be in a position to cut a deal to make that space work. It is too bad H&M is positioned where they are in the mall as it limits opening up a new U section like when Zellers left the second floor.

And the food hall? I don't think it will happen. The challenge is, in general terms, the seating area is not a high revenue generator. The dropped height of the Sears second floor also means they cannot smoothly transition the existing food court into the space.

One final long shot guess -- if they cannot land new, larger tenants to move into the Sears space Apple, Victoria Secrets or long shot H&M could relocate to the former Sears space to free up different space in the mall that is easier to split into smaller stores.

I was surprised Outlets opened without a Coach store. I would be even more shocked if when the drywall dust settles at Polo Park at Simons isn't finally in the mall. It has been close to a decade of them saying Winnipeg is on there list when the right opportunity happens. That said there isn't a much better opportunity than this and its clear CF is going to let the space sit for two years cause they have the right fit lined up.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:32 PM

Unconfirmed but considering the exterior got a "FreshCo" paint job and now the shelves are being stripped in the store it's basically confirmed Portage and Caliver is flipping from Safeway to FreshCo sometime soon.

I would suspect more of the Sobeys/Safeway twins to either convert or close.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Pretty certain I have said it before. LiquorMarts should take a page out of cannabis retailing. Check your id before you are allowed into the store. With checking id, accepting only government issued photo id, and combining that with store video surveillance they could quickly build a black list of people that are not allowed back in their stores for suspected theft. They could also turn over the id log and video footage of suspected thefts to police. With a little leg work on the police side they should be able to quickly get convictions on these thefts.

Once would be thieves know that they will be caught it would slow down the outright brazen thefts that have been happening. The other piece LiquorMarts needs to start taking more seriously is locking up products with high values and highly targeted for thefts. Making it more difficult to steal those items would also help. Walk into someplace like Best Buy or Staples and they are significantly more hardened against thefts than a LiquorMart.
Even better, take one from the night club pages. Check and then scan a picture of the photo ID before entering. They could repurpose the useless security guards that stand there and nod all day to actually just scanning ID. anyone blacklisted gets refused entry.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Unconfirmed but considering the exterior got a "FreshCo" paint job and now the shelves are being stripped in the store it's basically confirmed Portage and Caliver is flipping from Safeway to FreshCo sometime soon.

I would suspect more of the Sobeys/Safeway twins to either convert or close.
I'm hearing the Pembina Village location might converting to a FreshCo
The store has been rearranging some of their products to different aisle during the past month.

If FreshCo has a store a store in the North (Garden City), East (Regent), and now West (Portage), the Pembina Village might be the location in the South

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
The store has been rearranging some of their products to different aisle during the past month.

If FreshCo has a store a store in the North (Garden City), East (Regent), and now West (Portage), the Pembina Village might be the location in the South
Safeway does relines from time to time in their stores. The River East store was done a few months ago and I still have problems finding some things as they were moved.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Safeway does relines from time to time in their stores. The River East store was done a few months ago and I still have problems finding some things as they were moved.
The Portage Ave store has the Safeway "lifestyle" brand. That said in the last week the exterior was painted "FreshCo" grey. They have also completely stripped the merchandise on two aisles. Will have to see where it goes.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post

Really? Is it the Safeway near cavalier or Sobeys in the Unicity area? I had no idea it already opened?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:25 PM

The Safeway at Caliver and Portage is the one currently under renovation. It seems to plan is to remain open through whatever they are doing.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure I have covered this one before.

My guess, given the configuration on the Sears space over two floors with limited potential for mall access is as follows.

1. Split the Sears space in half along the north-south (Sears-Bay) line.
2. The section closest to Portage Ave would become Simons, potentially retaining the west side parking lot entrance and escalators in place. A new mall entrance to the first floor space would be added opposite Sports Check.
3. Some of the small stalls along the main floor Sears wall would be pushed further into the Sears space making them more a normal mall depth.
4. The existing main floor Sears entrance would be used for a mini-anchor of such, lets call it Microsoft Store to put a name to it.
5. Similar treatment to the second floor Sears entrance but lets call this split of the space Uniqlo.
6. What about that Sears loading dock area you say? How about some super premium heated and covered underground public parking. Keep in mind the space is roughly the same size as the Sears above ground.

I also strongly thing Zara is another contender. They are everywhere in other markets. Sort of covered that in the Forever 21 post though as that is going to be a tougher spot to carve up so ideally they want a single tenant wanting the 37,000 sq ft there. The blended Zara/Zara Home could reasonable cover that. That said there isn't a hybrid Zara/Zara Home yet and the Home store is a fairly new subbrand for them. That said CF is an important landlord and would be in a position to cut a deal to make that space work. It is too bad H&M is positioned where they are in the mall as it limits opening up a new U section like when Zellers left the second floor.

And the food hall? I don't think it will happen. The challenge is, in general terms, the seating area is not a high revenue generator. The dropped height of the Sears second floor also means they cannot smoothly transition the existing food court into the space.

One final long shot guess -- if they cannot land new, larger tenants to move into the Sears space Apple, Victoria Secrets or long shot H&M could relocate to the former Sears space to free up different space in the mall that is easier to split into smaller stores.

I was surprised Outlets opened without a Coach store. I would be even more shocked if when the drywall dust settles at Polo Park at Simons isn't finally in the mall. It has been close to a decade of them saying Winnipeg is on there list when the right opportunity happens. That said there isn't a much better opportunity than this and its clear CF is going to let the space sit for two years cause they have the right fit lined up.
I would like to see them do with Forever 21 what did above it, put a new corridor with stores through it and wrap it around to the other corridor. Of course it would require H&M move however they have the available space.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I would like to see them do with Forever 21 what did above it, put a new corridor with stores through it and wrap it around to the other corridor. Of course it would require H&M move however they have the available space.
It could be done but would likely mean moving H&M into the former Sears space. The question is how stable is the the potential replacement for Forever 21? Who would pickup the costs for the H&M relocation? Also would the mall be able to lease out the space easily and how much leasable space would be lost to corridors in the conversion? There could also be clauses covering the former dental centre space that limit how it is reused without inviting the dental centre back into the mall.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:17 PM

Very eye-opening story from CJOB/Global about the current state of affairs with regard to shoplifting in this city, along with some insight as to why downtown retail is so pathetic:

‘These are serious times’: Shoplifting up 77% in Winnipeg

https://globalnews.ca/news/5974035/t...7-in-winnipeg/

Quote:
Shoplifting is so rampant in Winnipeg’s stores that national retailers pause before opening stores downtown and police data shows a startling rise over the past year.

Winnipeg saw a 77 per cent increase last year in the theft of store merchandise under $5,000, according to police data.

“Every retailer deals with theft in one degree or another,” John Graham from the Retail Council of Canada (RCC) said.

“These are serious times that require serious focus.”

“When you look, on average, over $172 million annually is stolen from Manitoba retailers,” Graham said. “That’s a $172 million direct impact on consumers, really. It’s enormous.”

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 5:15 PM

Seafood City is apparently delayed until November, not sure why, the exterior is at least done.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
...I should add, construction has finally started on the Portage Ave Costco. It is mostly at the site prep stage with having utilities extended into the previously unserviced site. Work actually began a couple weeks back. Based on a general building structure of Costco I would suspect it opens in the "warm" months of 2020 as the parking lot will be the biggest obstacle to completion.
Good news! It can't open soon enough!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 11:04 PM

Would be nice to see police actually get their asses out of their vehicles and walk around downtown for once. Always see so many police cars driving around downtown, and almost never see uniforms on the sidewalk. That'd be a good place to start – just having a presence makes a huge difference.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Good news! It can't open soon enough!
I really hope the Portage Ave Costco doesn't open before Canada Day. The road infrastructure can handle The Ex but not sure how well it would deal with Ex + newly opened Costco at the same time. The road network does take a small hit when an event is happening but unless they create an artificial choke point it rarely backs up out of the site which is good. The variable nature of Costco traffic should keep things in control mostly. Far better than the existing sites anyway,

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:05 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Not meaning to dispute but....The Westport Costco is not under construction yet. There is early site and utility prep but not on the Costco site. They are constructing a commercial building next to the Dairy Farmers building. There is some site work beginning on the first parcel immediately SE of the traffic circle. The Costco is going on the NE corner of the traffic circle. The contractor hopes to start before the end of the year but is waiting on Costco.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:28 PM

And north McPhillips Costco? Is that an actual thing or just a rumour?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Actual thing
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 7:26 PM

Wasn't all the Costco stuff confirmed? Or just SSP confirmed?

2 new Costco's and the Polo Park Costco converting to some type of warehouse/pick up location.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wasn't all the Costco stuff confirmed? Or just SSP confirmed?

2 new Costco's and the Polo Park Costco converting to some type of warehouse/pick up location.
Nothing officially confirmed. Costco officially hasn't even confirmed the Portage Ave site despite their logo appearing on the variance application (or whatever that was on the CofW site).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan