HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Should tell that to the lady from West St Paul that somehow managed to go the wrong way in a traffic circle to try to get out the entrance on Kenaston and pulled out on front of my bus. I suppose she didn't really need the front end of her little SUV. Is the signage really that bad there?
The whole concept of traffic circles in Winnipeg is going on the assumption that people know you enter with a straight/right hand turn. It is very easy to mess up. The ones at the outlet mall also have two lanes coming in, the right lane is supposed to turn and the left lane continues into the circle. There is no barrier though to prevent both lanes from entering the circle and quickly finding themselves in a single lane. Across the street in the Ikea lot I am fairly certain the right hand lane runs into a curb than visually reinforces the turn. It makes a world of difference for people that are still learning how traffic circles work.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:34 PM

^ Count on IKEA to put it in simple terms that everyone can understand

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think there are too many stupid people out there. There is nothing wrong with the road network around the outlet mall. I think it is easy to navigate and there is boatloads of parking. People just want to park in front of the doors or don't travel around the building. 360 degrees of parking. The areas not paved are reserved for future buildings.
My thought too. I haven't been in there so I don't know the lot.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:36 AM

New Costco

This really looks like a new Costco location, judging from the drawings in item 3.
Westport Festival.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/mobi...443&SectionId=

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil’s neighbour View Post
This really looks like a new Costco location, judging from the drawings in item 3.
Westport Festival.

Someone on these boards did mention around Assiniboine downs as a Costco location a while back. So this is more confirmation.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:40 PM
What could go wrong?

My sources tell me that the Costco on St James will close and be redeveloped into a Costco Distribution Centre. A new Costco will be built at Assiniboine Downs and out on north McPhillips.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Westport Festival.

Sure does. Nothing screams Costco more than a tire center and propane station.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Mulvanny G2 is the Architect for Costco and they are on the layout plan.

This is the anchor that this development needs to get it going. There will also be a Boston Pizza there as well.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
My sources tell me that the Costco on St James will close and be redeveloped into a Costco Distribution Centre. A new Costco will be built at Assiniboine Downs and out on north McPhillips.
Distribution or Business Centre?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:45 PM
What could go wrong?

I heard Distribution. The St James Costco has become too restrictive as a retail site with parking and access and they were looking for a distribution centre for the Winnipeg region.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:52 PM

^^ We can all blame Target Canada and the merger of Lowe's and Rona for this Costco. Sources in the know at the time told me Target was confirmed for that site but it was obviously a new build that was being planned when the hammer dropped. The original site plan also had the mysterious "home improvement" store aka Lowe's.

Separate from the boring retail the site just screams that it is the perfect location for an IHOP. The area gets heavy traffic all times of year with teams going to the IcePlex and Bloomberg (soccer and baseball). Add in that it is the first/last stop as people arrive in/leave Winnipeg.

Between Costco, the previously announced hotels and the Boston Pizza the site will be getting close to fully developed.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Selfishly, I hope you are right - A north west Costco would be great for me

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Distribution or Business Centre?
Maybe a Costco Business Centre for the St. James location, the nearest is in Minneapolis there is also one in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:09 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I heard Distribution. The St James Costco has become too restrictive as a retail site with parking and access and they were looking for a distribution centre for the Winnipeg region.
Driving up and down St. James St. every day and passing by that stretch of road by Costco has been prone to accidents and backed up traffic, to the point where one day, the cops had to be called in and direct traffic in and out of the parking lot.

I really hope they move out of that location, even though it will be a loss for the area in a way.

Perhaps even build a replacement Costco next to the old Target location and use that land for space. The existing Costco warehouse would fit in the northeast lot, and have the southeast lot for parking, all while continue with the idea on opening up a store on McPhillips, and converting the old location to a DC.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 2:39 PM

Well considering the lack of home improvement stores in the area perhaps a Lowe’s is still in the cards

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:15 PM

Disappointed to hear McGavins Bread Basket on McPhillips has closed! No idea why and their Facebook page doesn’t say either. Apparently there is work going on in there. We have gotten bread there as long as I can remember. I think if i'm correct the Shoe Warehouse next door has also closed and they have combined the 2 spaces.

Last edited by vjose32; Nov 24, 2018 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Westport Festival.

Odd that the one might go ahead of the rumored McPhillips location.
Likely 5 in Winnipeg? City that loves a perceived deal.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:16 PM

I can't imagine Costco abandoning the #1 retail hub in the city altogether (Polo). Maybe they'd open a bigger new location somewhere nearby?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Mulvanny G2 is the Architect for Costco and they are on the layout plan.

This is the anchor that this development needs to get it going. There will also be a Boston Pizza there as well.
Probably a Dollar Tree just like in our vibrant Portage Ave. right across from Bell MTS Place!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 9:12 PM

Just had the strangest movie experience of my life at Landmark Cinemas Grantpark. Bought tickets 3 days ago to make sure we got our preferred seats as last week Fantastic Beast was sold out. We arrive and there is a massive line at 10am. As we get closer we see the doors are not open and no employees can be seen inside. There is no sign in the window. Checked social media, website, called and got nothing. We left,, and 5 hours later still have no clue what happened. We saw hundreds of children were there for corporate Christmas party,, no happy faces.

Anybody know what happened?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan