HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:40 AM
Community Guy

The Edmontonian - 41 - 136m -NEW TALLEST CONDO

Will be the nicest tower in the city IMO and only 10m from the tallest in the city.

Identification
Official name The Edmontonian
Emporis Building Number 307088

City Edmonton
State Alberta
Country Canada

Technical Data
Height (struct.) 136 m 447 ft
Floors (OG) 41

Building in General
Type of construction high-rise building
Main usages
Status proposed

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:41 AM
Community Guy

oh and yes...this is in EDMONTON.

dont like the name

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:36 AM

I like it. Too bad they couldn't just add another 11m though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 5:21 AM

Agreed, unfortunately due to the downtown airport this is pushing the maximum allowed height.

But very nice design, very suitable for its size.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:14 AM

I like the design accept for the base, it doesn't suit the rest of the tower IMO. It could also do without that roof overhang.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:25 PM
Community Guy

^the base is suitable and works well IMO...it is on a major street which should have commercial main floor.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

great proposal, but drop the unoriginal name.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 6:46 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
great proposal, but drop the unoriginal name.
And what? Call it Fusion? Matrix? The Grosvenor?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 7:17 PM

I think this is a very nide building, but it would look so much better without the roof piece with the trailer awning attached to it

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:57 AM
Meh

I like it. I do like the hangover on the roof. One note though, I think the hangover would look better if it were equally as long as the part to the left. Have the hangover go all the way to the edge of the facade instead of cutting off before the edge. Either that or remove it completely.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
And what? Call it Fusion? Matrix? The Grosvenor?
How about the Tarsands Tower?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:14 PM
Derp

Quote:
Condo tower could be first of many
Proposed 41-storey project surrounded by vacant land being eyed by developers
Ron Chalmers, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 2:39 am
EDMONTON - BCM Developments is planning a 41-storey condominium tower at 101st Street and 105A Avenue -- extending the downtown's northward expansion.

The proposed site, a gravel parking lot on the east side of 101st Street, now is surrounded by vacant land, under-used retail space and men's shelters.

But the area could be transformed by the Aurora condo project to the west, where construction will start soon, by the Station Lands mixed-use project to the south, which remains unscheduled, and possibly by a new hockey arena to the south, now being considered by a mayor's committee.

It's a good area close to the downtown, and I think you'll see more towers going up," Max Raimondi, BCM's development manager, said Thursday.

The building, tentatively called The Edmontonian, would have three levels of underground parking and a six-level above-ground parking podium with ground-level commercial space -- topped by a narrower tower with 35 to 38 storeys of condos.

Project architect Terry Hartwig already has met with the Edmonton design committee, which, he said, persuaded him that the parking podium, above ground level, should be "wrapped" with condos on the outer edges "to soften the look of the towers, and put more eyes on the street."

The roof of the six-storey podium would provide outdoor "amenity space for residents," he said.

"On about the 30th floor we would have a sky garden, two or three storeys high, with a great view of the city and the river valley," Hartwig said.

The building would be finished with greenish-blue glass and stucco detailing. It could include geothermal heating and a gas-burning electrical generator that would power the building and supply electricity to the grid.

It will be lower than Manulife Place, only slightly taller than the CN Tower, and would not obstruct City Centre Airport flights, Raimondi said.

Still, the height could be a concern as it relates to density, with about 220 units planned on an 1,800-square-metre site.

"I think density will be the one issue," Hartwig said. He hopes the building will be seen as an asset to the community, with "an elegant, beautiful tower" and ground-level amenities such as a coffee shop to increase pedestrian activity.

BCM has not formally announced its Edmontonian condo plan but some details have appeared on a website, www.connect2edmonton.ca -- an online forum sponsored by the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation and other agencies.

Connect2Edmonton has reported that The Edmontonian currently is its second most-frequent discussion topic. Recently posted comments questioned the building's proximity to the airport flight path, debated above-ground parking and praised the tower design.

BCM is preparing to present the plan to a community meeting before asking city council for a re-zoning.

Raimondi expects construction to start in about two years, subject to pre-sales.

BCM's other activities include The Zen condominium, with 86 units, under construction at 114th Street and 105th Avenue, The Max, a 93-unit condo development with construction soon to start at 113th Street and 105th Avenue, and the 81-unit Fuzion condo development, proposed for Whyte Avenue and 102nd Street.

rchalmers@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2007
A related story regarding this project.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 3:59 AM
Community Guy

EDMONTON | The Edmontonian | 278 M / 912 FT | 71 FLOORS

Sky Garden, Edmonton - rumored to be 50 floors and 545' now (formerly the Edmontonian).

http://www.bcmdevelopments.com/image...dmontonian.jpg

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:00 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

It looks really interesting so far, hope they release renderings of it so that we get to see this project in full.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:01 AM
Meh

Cool. This would be a new tallest I'm guessing.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 2:47 PM
Community Guy

Yup

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

Enlarged

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:19 PM

Wow this will be a great addition to the skyline! This seems to have come out of left field, but I like what I see so far.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:30 PM

166 meters for those of us who struggle visualizing Imperial units!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 4:36 PM
Community Guy

Rumours have it significantly higher than this though... 700-800'. Keep in mind though that the developer behind it does mostly low-mid rise projects and this is not exactly the best area at the moment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive