HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Pin Observation Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Phoenix Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:15 PM
New Yorker for life

PHOENIX | Observation Tower | 420 FT +

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/52074

Bjarke Ingels Has Phoenix Pinned, Plants Giant Observation Tower Downtown

December 19, 2012
Branden Klayko

Quote:
Phoenix-based developer Novawest wanted a new signature project for the city’s downtown, an observation tower from which to admire the far-off mountain ranges and dramatic Southwestern sunsets, so Bjarke Ingels proposed to scoop out the spiraled negative-space of New York’s Guggenheim Museum rotunda and plant it 420 feet above downtown Phoenix. Ingels’ “Pin,” a 70,000 square foot observation tower is elegant in its simple form, a ball on a stick, indeed evoking some far away Gulliver on a real-life version of Google maps finding his way to the Sun Belt. In another light, Phoenicians could ostensibly see a larger-than-life Chupa Chup or an upended mascara brush, but that’s the beauty of pure form, right?

Visitors will be able to ride one of three glass elevators up the reinforced concrete core to the top of the Pin’s observation spiral, where flexible exhibition, retail, and recreation spaces will showcase panoramic views of the surrounding region and descend, round and round, to a restaurant in the lower portions of the sphere.

“Like the monsoons, the haboobs, and the mountains of the surrounding Arizonian landscape, the Pin becomes a point of reference and a mechanism to set the landscape in motion through the movement of the spectator.” Bjarke Ingels, principal at BIG, said in a statement. “Like the Guggenheim Museum of New York offers visitors a unique art experience descending around its central void, the motion at the Pin is turned inside-out allowing visitors to contemplate the surrounding city and landscape of Phoenix. Like a heavenly body hovering above the city, the Pin will allow visitors to descend from pole to pole in a dynamic three dimensional experience seemingly suspended in midair.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.designboom.com/architectu...rvation-tower/

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...-proposed.html

39-story observation tower proposed for downtown Phoenix

by Mike Sunnucks
December 20, 2012

Quote:
A Danish architecture firm and an Arizona real estate developer are proposing a 420-foot modernistic observation tower that would be located in downtown Phoenix and billed as a tourist destination.

That would make the tower close to 39 stories and the tallest building in Arizona.

Bjark Ingels Group (BIG) designed the proposed Phoenix Observation Tower. Novawest LLC owns real estate in Phoenix and wants to locate the tower near the Phoenix Convention Center and US Airways Center.

"This is the right place and the right time for a signature project for downtown Phoenix and we knew the design needed to be something extraordinary. Big has delivered something exceptional, blending form and function in a way that will change the local skyline forever and will give visitors a once-in-a-lifetime experience." said Brian Stowell, a Novawest principal.

The architecture firm unveiled the tower plans Wednesday evening. The tower includes an open-air spiral sphere at the top and could also include restaurants and special event space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:16 PM
Come As You Are

Wow, amazing!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:37 PM

This would be amazing, a landmark for sure.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 PM

Phoenix really needs something, I'm not sure this is it. This looks more like a water tower than an observation deck. But in this case, I guess you have to take what you can get. The stem section needs work.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:53 PM

I don't find it that tall, but I like it very much that spiral layout, very unique, but they should do it 200 meters tall.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:07 AM

Love the spiral.

The siting is a little mediocre but otherwise, it's quite cool.

How long do you suppose it would take until people started calling it The Big Blow Pop?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

It could be a little taller, but not by much. I think because of the nature of the tower, it shouldn't get too high. One you get above a certain height, the spiral doesn't really work. But as it is now, it's closer in height to the surrounding buildings, giving a great view of the surrounding area. It's what I like about the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. It's high enough to get a great view, but you aren't looking down on everything far removed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

Sweet. I've been looking for just that perfect viewpoint for endless sprawl and smog.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:15 AM
them bones

420ft wouldn't make it the tallest building (Chase up the way is 486ft), but it would be the 2nd tallest. IIRC, zoning (i.e. the airport) only allows for about 475ft on that block.

Interesting concept, but I think the site is where the W Hotel project was partially killed due to the preservation issues of the athletic club building. To me, due to the proximity of other similar sized towers, this would be far better suited to the Hance Park area between downtown and midtown.

The best promontory points in Phoenix are its mountains and will always be so.

From a design perspective, that outdoor level at the top with all that concrete would be brutally hot and oppressive in the summertime. I don't necessarily expect a Danish designer to really understand that about Phoenix. The design approach there has to be entirely about shade.

*EDIT*
If you look closely, you can see that the renderings show it in a few locations around downtown (all within 2-3 blocks). According to the Phoenix guys, this would be built on the Arizona Science Center block, which is not shown here and is at 6th and Adams. That would give it a little better view of downtown, but also explains why it is so short (closer to the airport).

Last edited by plinko; Dec 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 6:06 AM
Never Dell

It's always good to have more things for visitors to do.

Damn it Howard, I was going to say that. Of course that would be the nickname.

I like that the lower levels would be shady. Big issue.

I also like that it looks relatively unusual, but would it in reality? Glass is more reflective than that. It would look more like the typical ball-on-stick than the renderings suggest. Likewise, they'd probably end up enclosing some things like restrooms, kitchen, etc.

But I'm not sure the observation tower concept is good here. First, it's too common, and new ones have less wow factor. Second, is there really enough to look at? Distant vistas are common from most streets and buildings. Successful observation towers tend to have a lot to look at in the neighborhood, with most/all points on the compass being interesting. Third, while the Phoenix area has a lot of tourism, a small percentage of it is Downtown (this would be step in changing that, but only one step).

Being this close to the core could be problematic. In my city, there's a lot of pushback on allowing highrises anywhere near our tower. Likewise, other towers block the view in some directions when they're too close, vs. being far enough that they're part of the view.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 9:53 PM

It looks (IMHO) like a lollipop.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 5:43 AM
BANNED

I think Phoenix should focus more on creating a better downtown rather than these gimmicky attractions.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 6:15 AM

Developer of planned tower moves to metro Phoenix

http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...o-phoenix.html

The Denver-based developer working on a proposed 430-foot observation tower in downtown Phoenix has opened an office in the downtown CityScape development and plans to move its corporate headquarters there, the company said Thursday.

Novawest LLC, a real-estate development firm focused on infill development, was founded in 2009 and also has an office in Langley, Wash.

As part of its relocation plan, Novawest has added veteran Phoenix-area commercial developer Jay Thorne to its team of principals.

Novawest said it also is working on developing a coffee lounge for working professionals at CityScape, 1 E. Washington St., in Phoenix.

Novawest is small operation with a staff of four, including the company’s three principals. There are no immediate plans to hire additional staff, a company spokeswoman said.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 7:32 AM

It looks like a giant honey swirl stick. I don't really like this design as of now. It would look better if they thickened the stem, and if the added a mast so it would be exactly 475 feet.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 7:04 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I think they should make it taller, like around 200 or so metres. At that height it would be easy to build a skyscraper that would block the view of the Observation Tower.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 7:57 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I think they should make it taller, like around 200 or so metres. At that height it would be easy to build a skyscraper that would block the view of the Observation Tower.
I agree. Making an obs tower that barely taller than the tallest existing buildings and quite close to them is a set-up for getting overtaken and surrounded in a couple of decades.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 9:22 AM

bekicookscakesblog.blogspot.com

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 4:04 AM
The good old days are now

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 2:20 PM
Khan

Really love the design. I think it would work better in a more urban location where there the views included skyscrapers instead of just mountains though. Put this in Shinjuku, Central, the City of London, etc., and I think "the gallery" would be a lot more interesting to look at (according to my tastes, anyway.)

Still, love the design. Wish they would replace the top of the Calgary Tower's KFC bucket with this. Congratulations, Phoenix.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive