HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

350 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 12:18 AM

Just my opinion, but I think this bodes well for the skyscraper option.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 12:46 AM

well played, sir. (in reference to Evergrey)

I agree, I think this maybe a good sign.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:19 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...sburgh-681417/

Quote:
Oxford Development Co. still in talks with possible high-rise tenants in Downtown Pittsburgh

March 30, 2013 12:07 am

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Another deadline will come and go without a decision by Oxford Development Co. on whether to build a 33-story skyscraper on Smithfield Street or renovate an existing building there.

Oxford initially had hoped to decide by the end of 2012 before extending the time frame to Sunday, the end of the first quarter.

While Shawn Fox, director of business development for the company, acknowledged that the firm probably won't meet that deadline either, he added that Oxford is closing in on a decision.

"It's not going to go that far into the future," he said.

Mr. Fox said Oxford still is in conversations with prospective tenants about anchoring a $238 million high-rise as well as those interested in the second option -- a $40 million renovation of the Oxford-owned, seven-story 441 Smithfield that would provide 180,000 square feet of class A office space and 20,000 square feet of retail.

"We're nearing a decision, but haven't made one yet. There are still ongoing conversations with tenants," he said.

Oxford has notified the tenants that are still in 441 Smithfield that they must be out of the building by May 31. As a result, the company will have to decide fairly soon which way to go at the site, Mr. Fox said.

If Oxford decides to build the skyscraper, the existing building would be demolished.

The company has made no secret of its desire to build an office tower at the site.

Peter Sukernek, vice president and general manager of Howard Hanna Commercial Real Estate Services, said Oxford probably will hold out as long as possible trying to land a tenant for the high-rise.

"I think they would wait as long as they possibly could and rightfully so. They've got just a gorgeous rendering of the building. It would be a great addition and an asset to Downtown. I would love to see them get someone," he said.

As for whether they're going to be able to find a tenant willing to pay high rates, most likely above market, to anchor the skyscraper, Mr. Sukernek turned philosophical.

"Real estate's like life. It's all timing. That tenant's not there today. But three weeks from now, boom, it could be there," he said.

In the past, Steve Guy, Oxford's president and CEO, said he had talked to both local and national companies, including energy-related firms, about taking space in the new tower.

Mark Belko: mbelko@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1262.
First Published March 30, 2013 12:00 am

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:43 PM

This is odd. The push back seems to suggest they want to build. Does that mean that they almost have that critical signed tenant and are covering themselves in case it falls apart?

I do wish they would propose to build on a surface lot instead. This is just odd.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 12:23 AM

How about a higher resolution rendering!

Image Credit: Pittsburgh City Paper

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:49 AM

http://350fifthpittsburgh.com/default-test.html

this is a link with a bunch of information on the renovation if they decided to go with that option. There are floor plans for office and retail on the site above.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 2:06 AM

^^^
This would seem to indicate that they have abandoned the tower for the renovation. That's what they website seemed to indicate to me, at least.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
^^^
This would seem to indicate that they have abandoned the tower for the renovation. That's what they website seemed to indicate to me, at least.
I get that notion too, but there are no articles on it, and Oxford hasn't released anything yet. Also, the last official update made it seem like they were really pushing for a tower. I think the website is just another way to entice tennants.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:25 PM

The old building is clearing out on schedule. Lots of empty storefronts and signs on both the First Commonwealth Bank branch and First Niagra Bank branch that the last day for business at the current location is May 31. Sbarro is still open as well but the rest of the storefronts are empty and abandoned.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:22 PM
Eurosceptic

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz2VKEATEkh

Quote:
Developer seeking anchor tenant for proposed Smithfield Street skyscraper

The office market in Pittsburgh is tight and demand is healthy, but local commercial real estate officials have mixed feelings about Oxford's chances of landing a major tenant.

“It is a good time to be in the commercial real estate business,” said Jim Scalo, president and CEO of Burns & Scalo Real Estate Services, Inc. Scalo has been seeking a major tenant for his proposed 16-story high-rise office building on a parking lot on Ft. Pitt Boulevard.

Royal Dutch Shell Plc, which is proposing to build a cracker plant in Beaver County, remains a potential as does Exxon Mobil Corp.

Downtown's office market has improved over the past few years with overall office occupancy at about 90 percent. However, several market reports say premier space is more scarce, with more than 95 percent of Downtown's total taken.

“I am of the opinion that (with) the (office) market strength of Downtown, Oxford may be able to build to suit an office building for a tenant. I am optimistic Oxford will identify an anchor tenant,” said Paul Horan, of Colliers International/Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 2:24 PM

Made a rough first try at it in sketchup to see other views, here they are:

Tried to recreate the one press shot here:

Second press shot recreation:

From Mon Incline overlook:

Duquesne Incline overlook (with tracks in the foreground even)

West End overlook (not a huge fan, kind of a wall is formed with citizens')

Coming into town on Vets' Bridge

Personal favorite, coming into town on 376 east

Somewhat disappointing, coming in on Fort Pitt Bridge

You can find the model in the link in my signature, but for some reason the textures don't come with it to google earth. I had to manually import the model file after I exported it in order to get the results above.

Overall I have got to say, if this is similar in size to Citizens' then this will have a huge impact, if it gets built. That, and combined with the new PNC tower, will be pretty amazing change.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:31 PM

Crazy how much the skyline would be filled in between this and the new PNC tower, especially from the veterans bridge angle.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 2:02 AM

Thanks for posting those pics. Citizens is 520 feet, and I get the impression that this will be in the 475-500 feet range. I wish it was slimmer, as some of the renderings for the pnc tower look stubby too, and if these are next to eachother then they will look like a pair of fat oompa loompas

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:04 AM

The city's incredible topography has a multiplying effect on any additional increase of density in the CBD. Love this city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:44 PM

^^^ I totally agree with your statement. I have always loved Pittsburgh's skyline and I always keep up with all new developments. You guys have a gorgeous city and should be very proud! I've never been to Pittsburgh but I would love to visit one of these days and take it all in...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ1970 View Post
^^^ I totally agree with your statement. I have always loved Pittsburgh's skyline and I always keep up with all new developments. You guys have a gorgeous city and should be very proud! I've never been to Pittsburgh but I would love to visit one of these days and take it all in...
Unfortunately I'm not one of "those guys", hopefully some day. If you ever visit Pitt youll get a good view of this building if you take the duquesne incline, which takes you to the top of Mt.Washington. That's Pittsburgh 101

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 11:29 AM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...levard-708310/

Quote:

To fund the improvements, Mr. Peduto would like to dedicate a portion of whatever public incentives are awarded to help with a proposed redevelopment planned by Oxford Development Co. on Smithfield or for any other future developments in the corridor.

Shawn Fox, director of business development and marketing for Oxford, said the company plans to seek tax increment financing, or TIF, in redeveloping 441 Smithfield, the seven-story property that borders Forbes and Fifth avenues.

Oxford is considering two options for the site -- a new $238 million, 33-story skyscraper or a $40 million renovation of the existing building there. Mr. Fox declined to say how much of a TIF the company would be seeking, but noted the amount would vary depending on the chosen option. TIF involves diverting for a period of years a portion of the tax revenue generated by a development to help pay for improvements in support of it.

Focus on entire street

Mr. Peduto sees the Oxford development as an opportunity to create a TIF district that would extend beyond the project so that infrastructure on Smithfield could be upgraded. He's open to the idea of approving TIF for the project "as long as it goes beyond the building itself." The same goes for any future development on the street, he said.

"When I have conversations with Oxford, it's not about who's going to be in the building but how we can reinvest in the area outside of the building so that we can rebuild that corridor," he said.

"With the Piatt development happening down the street at Saks Fifth Avenue, we'd be able to take a big section of that street and make it look and feel much different than it is presently."

Oxford, Mr. Fox said, welcomes a redo of Smithfield Street.

"The whole Smithfield Street corridor really needs an upgrade," he said. "We would be open to working with Bill Peduto in any way we can to help him see that through."

Mr. Fox said Oxford is still in conversations with potential tenants on both of the options under study. U.S. Steel is said to be considering several Downtown locations, including the proposed high-rise, if it does not stay at U.S. Steel Tower on Grant Street when its lease expires in 2017.

"We're still exploring options and have nothing to announce at this time," said Charles Rice, a U.S. Steel spokesman.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 PM

Great news for those of us who prefer the skyscraper to the refurbishing. Clearly, Oxford is going for the skyscraper option as they have passed numerous self imposed deadlines to make a decision and even more telling is that the building now sits empty and they could have already started the refurbishing during the past few months if they were going to do that. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Oxford ultimately comes out with a midrise option somewhere in the 20-25 story range seeing as how they are not having an easy time leasing a 33 story tower either.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 2:15 PM
Walkable CITIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooFlyPie View Post
I didn't realize this design was by Astorino. I looked into it and it was DLA architects. Which then confused me more. I did work with Astorino through a different company. I am familiar with;

http://www.astorino.com/
located on fort Pitt Boulevard, large AE firm, and has engineers

I am not familiar with;

http://www.dlastorino.com/
who is the firm that developed that hideous tower.

Different firm, same family that broke off and did DLA?
I looked at their site. Ugh. any type of design firm that uses the slogan "minimize risk. maximize results" scares me... LOL

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 2:51 PM
Walkable CITIES!

I'm confused. I thought maybe this hideousness was to replace the Warner Theater midblock.

but now I see it must be the corner site or 441 Smithfield Street

OK, All buildings can not be preserved, but there was a great effort to preserve 5th Avenue and it is finally paying off and they want to do this? Fifth Avenue survived Murphy's wrecking ball/mall and we are discussing this as if it were a good thing? They want to cash in on the success of Pittsburgh's Fifth Avenue renaissance and build this? This hideousness could be built, replacing any of the equally hideous parking garages southbalong Smithfield. OK. They want a Fifth Avenue adress? Build it using the facade of the existing buildings. San Francisco does it all the time. But to replace either of these buildings with THIS! You want a Fifth Avenue address make it look like a Fifth Avenue address. Generic does not belong on this very high profile corner. Fifth Avenue and Smithfield Street is probably Pittsburgh's most iconic corner and THIS is what they are proposing? We are going to say this is good just so we can say we have another skyscraper? I can deal with bad up to 20 stories but 33 stories there must be some architecture involved. Just sayin

Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; Dec 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive