HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 7:46 PM

Lightbulb HOUSTON | San Felipe Place | 221 FT / 67 M | 17 FLOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplot
Hines Plans a Shiny New 18-Story Office Building Across San Felipe from River Oaks

Hines is planning to build an 18-story office building on a 3-lane section of San Felipe between Shepherd and Kirby, across the street from tony River Oaks. The site is the 35,000-sq.-ft. former lushy garden and grounds of a Vermont Commons home, which features several trees and at least one giant oak. “No one knows anything about this,” a source tells Swamplot. “They think a few nice townhouses are about to rise from the earth. That is the story that’s circulating the hood.”

The site is on the southwest corner of San Felipe and Spann. The proposed building, designed by HKS and Ziegler Cooper, is meant to include approximately 170,000 sq. ft. of office space in 10 office stories; they’ll be sitting atop an 8-level parking garage. The main street entrance appears to front Spann St. Randall Davis’s now-reportedly “sold out” Chateau Ten 10-unit condo building is going up across that street, at 2221 Welch. The leaked rendering above is a preliminary design.

Hines appears not to have announced the project to neighbors, though obsessive Googlers might have come across a company press release from late last month that happened to drop the name of the project, which also happens to be its address: 2229 San Felipe. “The neighbors are only now starting to learn the truth,” claims a source. “They were led to believe that nice River-Oaks-type luxury townhomes were going to built on that corner.

Who knows who started that rumor, but that’s what we heard . . . To say that people are upset is an understatement . . . it’s going to be another Ashby Highrise brawl. . . . The River Oaks folks are not going to like tenants looking down on their pools, backyards, terraces, balconies . . .”

An entity connected to Hines bought the property last November. The company expects to complete the building at the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015.

http://swamplot.com/hines-plans-a-sh...ks/2013-05-16/

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:26 PM

HBJ had an article on the building this morning, so it's a little more than speculation.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 5:39 PM
Website Manager

An odd place for an office building, right in a lowrise residential neighbourhood. But I guess that's Houston.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:04 AM

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:03 AM

The nimbys have a website up, trying to stop this tower from being built. Construction begins this fall.

http://stopsanfelipeskyscraper.org/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A little to late for the NIMBY's.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:28 PM
Meh

I don't remember seeing the height posted for this one before. Where did it come from?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't remember seeing the height posted for this one before. Where did it come from?
Lol, I emailed the NIMBY's, asking for the height of the building (it's not posted on their website) and they gave me this pdf file that gives the height on the last page:

http://www.stopsanfelipeskyscraper.c...e_building.pdf

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:37 PM

220 feet, five inches.

Amazing that the architect allowed that much material to get into the hands of the project opponents.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 2:34 PM
Meh

It's probably public information. I've been getting building heights left and right in Austin through the city's website. I've been reading the heights straight off the building elevations just like that one. There's nearly not a project in Austin right now that I don't have a height for thanks to the city's website.

Houston's city website should have something similar where the public can review projects.

I would email the nimbys back and ask them where they found it saying you're interested in finding out information on other projects.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 1:41 PM

Hines is feeling some heat from the neighbors, responds:

Hines posts Q&A website for new River Oaks tower

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
Hines to break ground on San Felipe office tower in 60 days

Houston-based Hines will soon break ground on the 17-story office tower planned for 2229 San Felipe.

John Mooz, senior managing director at Hines, said Wednesday that the project has generated “remarkable interest.”

“In my 30-year career, I’ve never seen interest like we’ve had in this building. Obviously, it’s needed and wanted,” he said.

Hines plans to break ground on the 167,000-square-foot tower in the next 60 days, Mooz said.

The development has drawn ire from the surrounding neighbors, who have tried to fight against the development since it was announced. Signs in the area read, “Stop the San Felipe Skyscraper” and some residents have spoken to city council, started petitions and launched a website to fight the development.

Mooz called the San Felipe project a “boutique” office tower with nine floors of office space and eight levels of parking. Hines developed a website for the project, 2229sanfelipe.com, to address many of the questions and concerns raised by residents.
http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...staffblogshcat

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:49 PM

I'll believe this one is actually going to come out of the ground when they mention an anchor tenant or turn a shovelful of dirt.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 10:30 AM

Last edited by Urbannizer; Oct 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 8:57 PM

They should be close to starting this one.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:13 AM

Well more than 60 days passed by, but it looks work has begun.

1/1 by BaderJF on HAIF

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 3:08 AM

1/17 by Swamplot

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:42 PM

Darn, lawsuit filed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Lawsuit's goal is to halt tower in River Oaks area

A lawsuit seeking to stop a 17-story office tower under development in a River Oaks-area neighborhood blasts the project as "abnormal and out of place" in a grass-roots effort that observers suggest was emboldened by the recent success of the high-profile fight against the Ashby high-rise.

Cranes are already at work at 2229 San Felipe, despite the abundance of "Stop the San Felipe Skyscraper" yard signs in the neighborhood between Shepherd and Kirby. Opposition to the project, under development by Houston-based Hines, has included an online petition with more than 1,000 signatures, a website to fight the development and personal pleas to City Council.

Full Article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...ea-5257653.php

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:07 AM

Maybe they should post that petition to the White House website and see if it gets anywhere near enough signatures to get a response.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:35 AM

This is so much farther along then 1717 Bissonnet though. When I was driving down San Felipe within the last week I could see they had already excavated a good deal(probably a floor or so down) and had some rebar and concrete already going in. If this Lawsuit means anything, Hines sure isn't showing it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive