HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
The one replacing Searsucker on Colorado between 4th and 5th.
Wow. I thought it was the vaporware tower on San Jac, in the middle of the CC expansion.

There's really just so much going on right now. I have no idea how to measure a given Austin building surge (I've only been here for 5 years) but it seems like you could reasonably call this one of the "busiest" times (for groundbreakings, for permitting, for proposals, for general activities) in recent years.

It also feels as if the scale of what's in the pipeline is more significant than the recent past -- I'm thinking CC expansion, Statesman site, airport master plan, Project Catalyst, McKalla stadium -- all bracketed by the Project Connect insanity that's percolating in the background.

Anyhow -- I always feel like it's worth taking stock of the totality of the projects we talk about in individual threads. Taken together, it's really just amazing where we are and what we're seeing.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
...It also feels as if the scale of what's in the pipeline is more significant than the recent past -- I'm thinking CC expansion, Statesman site, airport master plan, Project Catalyst, McKalla stadium -- all bracketed by the Project Connect insanity that's percolating in the background.

Anyhow -- I always feel like it's worth taking stock of the totality of the projects we talk about in individual threads. Taken together, it's really just amazing where we are and what we're seeing.
When you think in terms of the total activity it really is amazing. We have over 40 projects underway or proposed between 300' and 850'. That is absolutely amazing for a metro of 2.2 million. And that is of course in addition to what has been built during the past few years and doesn't even count a significant number of planned/envisioned projects.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
When you think in terms of the total activity it really is amazing. We have over 40 projects underway or proposed between 300' and 850'. That is absolutely amazing for a metro of 2.2 million. And that is of course in addition to what has been built during the past few years and doesn't even count a significant number of planned/envisioned projects.
It is DEFINITELY amazing.

I would be curious to know what the success rate of our towers are in the boom era. That is -- when a given project makes it to the proposal stage, what are the chances it makes it in a relatively linear fashion through to completion? I think we have some healthy (and well earned) skepticism on this board, but I also feel like it's rare that a tower makes it to proposal stage and DOESN'T achieve lift off within the next year or so.

When I say that I'm thinking about the stuff we Forumers consider in planning/envisioning stage -- and from a probability standpoint what will reasonably make it to completion. I feel like a good chunk of what we know about WILL achieve lift off, eventually . . . and usually in a form that's consistent with original plans.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It is DEFINITELY amazing.

I would be curious to know what the success rate of our towers are in the boom era. That is -- when a given project makes it to the proposal stage, what are the chances it makes it in a relatively linear fashion through to completion? I think we have some healthy (and well earned) skepticism on this board, but I also feel like it's rare that a tower makes it to proposal stage and DOESN'T achieve lift off within the next year or so.

When I say that I'm thinking about the stuff we Forumers consider in planning/envisioning stage -- and from a probability standpoint what will reasonably make it to completion. I feel like a good chunk of what we know about WILL achieve lift off, eventually . . . and usually in a form that's consistent with original plans.
I agree, but that wasn't always the case ie: 80s and 90s boom and bust due to economic insecurity. Given the unprecedented and unforeseen population growth and a stronger financial position, this current boom is like a momentum changing steamroller, hard to stop except in the approval department and in some cases, funding issues. It seems everyone wants to have a piece of the Austin pie and the world has taken notice and the hospitality people are still bullish on the Austin market. There were plenty of cancelled projects back then that were both disheartening and disappointing. Some of the cancelled, planned buildings were quite nice. That's what makes the current building boom so remarkable and unpredicted. We didn't have any reason to see it coming except for the pure optimists among us. What's in the pipeline as you mentioned will be coming, I only hope I'm still alive when they happen.
As a footnote, I used to think we couldn't continue to meet the demand for new growth due to manpower and equipment shortages, but I keep meeting people from out of state moving to Austin for the construction jobs, and apparently, there are enough cranes and operators to fill the demand, so far. But there still could be a few projects on hold because of this so I wouldn't say we are full steam ahead.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 20, 2019 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:45 PM

Austin is having its moment for sure, but a somewhat similar construction boom is happening in all the major cities right now. The last time (maybe the only time) the US experienced this kind of explosive skyline growth was towards the end of the roaring 1920s. An amazing number of iconic US skyscrapers were actually completed in the early years of the Great Depression following the Wall Street crash and global economic failure. I'd love to believe that there are compelling reasons for the current construction boom, but I have a sense that this frenzy is unsustainable and the product of a lending environment that is metaphorically hooked on the meth or crack high produced by near zero interest rates. Having said that, I would truly love to see these projects built simply because I love looking at them, and I sincerely hope my gloomy/cynical outlook is just a product of old age.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

While there may be cities around the country seeing their share of construction, in terms of volume on visibly transformational scale, Austin stands out from the rest of the pack.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 9:57 PM

The ABJ has an article (with no new info) about this project that also amounts to a future downtown tower development round up. It also mentioned that Riverside Resources bought the real estate next to this tower where the Belmont is. I don't remember if that is news or not - there are so many tower plans.

Paywall alert of course:
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
The ABJ has an article (with no new info) about this project that also amounts to a future downtown tower development round up. It also mentioned that Riverside Resources bought the real estate next to this tower where the Belmont is. I don't remember if that is news or not - there are so many tower plans.

Paywall alert of course:
Well they might as well get rid of the Belmont. It's only an event rent space which I think should be limited or banned in Downtown for such buildings which should be contributing more than they are with their current use.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the atx View Post
when you think in terms of the total activity it really is amazing. We have over 40 projects underway or proposed between 300' and 850'. That is absolutely amazing for a metro of 2.2 million. And that is of course in addition to what has been built during the past few years and doesn't even count a significant number of planned/envisioned projects.
i

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:06 PM

S

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:19 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:22 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Skyscraper to replace sushi lounge on 6th St.

Ryan Cos. tower could rise 60 stories

This may be a few feet taller than 6XG given the apparent height difference between each of these two towers and 300 W. 6th.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
This may be a few feet taller than 6XG given the apparent height difference between each of these two towers and 300 W. 6th.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of this tower as it's shown in the rendering. Looking at it, this is going to be directly across the street from 6XG...and the two towers look to be really similar, and a similar height. I wish they'd differentiated this more, instead of it being a plan blue glass rectangle (albeit, a tall one).

....At least it won't have the monstrous metal-paneled parking podium that 6xG is going to have.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Wow, 300 W 6th is going to have no view at all pretty soon. Surrounded on all sides by some tall towers.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:02 PM

Amazing.

What does the article say about BBVA’s involvement? If you get tower naming rights, that’s gotta mean something significant....

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:28 PM

Wow. They keep coming.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:04 PM

[QUOTE=We vs us;8780365]Amazing.

y

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Wow. They keep coming.
g

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
--Tower will designed to complement 6 X Guadalupe
This is really important. I don't think it's a bad thing if they look similar - in fact I think it could be quite wonderful. They are cater-corner from each other, they could be almost like twin towers if they are similar height.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:18 PM
Old West Austin

Quote:
Around 750'?
If you zoom in on the renderings it appears to have only 6 floors of office above the parking podium, then the rest is residential. So my guess is less than 750'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin