HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:03 PM

I don't understand all the hate toward Trump. He is a wise businessman - he markets debauchery and gaudiness to consumerist tools with fat wallets and asses that believe any cheesy fool who has a loud voice and a gimmicky hairdo, and will accept any shiny gaudy piece of shit as classy as long as that fool tells them it is so, proclaiming his message by hanging billboards over the freeway where they can easily be visible to all the fine American women that drive their SUV's to pick up their children from soccer practice. Why spend time and money on quality if the customers can't tell class from gaudiness anyway? This is capitalism at its finest - wrap a lemon in shiny wrapping paper and sell it to a fool who doesn't know any better.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:09 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayznfuz View Post
Methinks you are referring to Trump Las Vegas? I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Wynn and had Mr. Trump's gold brick monstrosity out my windows. Be VERY happy this thing doesn't have gold glass. I thought Trump LV was tacky even for Las Vegas.
Yes, that was the building project I was referring to. I remember reading an interview with Adrian Smith where he recalled talking Trump out of using gold glass for this Chicago project. (All of Chicago thanks you Mr. Smith! And even us with Chicago envy down here in St. Louis thank you!)

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:26 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Just for all you peeps again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
We shouldn't befocusing on stupid comments like, "be happy its not made of staws". We have a right to demand quality, espcially if Trump is running aroung insulting the qaulity of other Chicago projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
This is capitalism at its finest - wrap a lemon in shiny wrapping paper and sell it to a fool who doesn't know any better.

GREAT! Thats EXACTLY what we want. I say Trump should shove his shiny lemon up his tailpipe and be damned with his "capitalism". The rest of it can still tell its a lemon.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Just for all you peeps again...

GREAT! Thats EXACTLY what we want. I say Trump should shove his shiny lemon up his tailpipe and be damned with his "capitalism". The rest of it can still tell its a lemon.
Agreed, bud sadly there are too many people in America that can't tell a lemon from the real deal, and there will always be douchebags like Trump capitalizing on that fact.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Some of you are forgetting that this is a residential building in the middle of a very busy business and entertainment area. The residents need some privacy, while maintaining the views they paid dearly for. The glass has to be reflective just for that reason. And that's not even factoring in energy efficiency.

And please, someone, post a single photo of an all-glass skyscraper that *doesn't* distort the reflections of nearby buildings. Good luck finding one.

You're all being too hard on this building just because it's a Trump.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Some of you are forgetting that this is a residential building in the middle of a very busy business and entertainment area. The residents need some privacy, while maintaining the views they paid dearly for. The glass has to be reflective just for that reason. And that's not even factoring in energy efficiency.

And please, someone, post a single photo of an all-glass skyscraper that *doesn't* distort the reflections of nearby buildings. Good luck finding one.

Agreed. I really don't see how this is any more "fun house" than the Regatta or the Chandler. Just seems like people are repeating the Kamin nonsense. Before he said anything and before word leaked that Trump might've cut corners to cut down on costs, the funhouse mirror thing never came up. And you gotta be joking if you think Trump cuts corners any more so than some of the other prominent Chicago developers (eg Loewenburg) who don't get nearly the same criticism for recent works.

It seems like we should be focusing our energy on the MoMo which really does have awful glass.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 9:59 PM
Chicago 2016

went down by trump but my camera wasn't working. i would have had some nice shots!

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Yeah, I agree with that. I understand that it is a prominent building, and of course we all want nothing but the best from such a thing.

But really, look at Trump's portfolio. This is much more of an Adrian Smith building than a Trump building, at least aesthetically. Some corners may have been cut (what project doesn't have this problem?), but I think the final product is going to be spectacular.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 2:00 AM
Chicago 2016

INTERIOR-

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:58 PM

From the webcam, it appears they are moving past the transfer floor on the east side, is this accurate?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:08 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Agreed. I really don't see how this is any more "fun house" than the Regatta or the Chandler.
Hello....its a supertall. And a supertall being built by a man who insults other Chicago projects.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:12 PM
THAT Guy

By the way

I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but Trump is coming to the site on Thursday at around 11 AM to hold a press conference and probably give some updates on the project.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 10:24 PM

A few recent shots...

View to the west from Lake Shore Drive - 2007-5-14

View from the Chicago River - 2007-5-17

View to the west from Wacker Drive - 2007-5-17

View to the northeast from Wacker Drive

View to the north down Wabash Avenue - 2007-5-18

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but Trump is coming to the site on Thursday at around 11 AM to hold a press conference and probably give some updates on the project.
Hmmm.....new project announcement, perhaps?

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
Let's Eat!

announcing his hair is fake....jk...lol...nice pic post...keep it

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Hmmm.....new project announcement, perhaps?

I doubt it, at least not in this city. This one isn't sold out yet. He's probably coming to pump up interest and improve sales.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
View to the west from Wacker Drive - 2007-5-17
Not seeing too many problems with the glass here. Nice work BVic.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:40 AM
Chicago

May 21, 2007

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:01 AM
BANNED

Wonderful shot, SolarWind! You always find the best perspectives.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 10:01 PM

Counting floors from the webcam I get that they're working on 33 on the east side, which would be one above the transfer floors.
So they should be just about ready to start moving again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive