HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:58 PM

Change is in the air - starting September 27th

It was nice while it lasted but we're closing down the Cherry Creek Trail.

Denver to Replace 14th Avenue Bridge, Add Multimodal Safety Enhancements
Quote:
DENVER – As part of the Elevate Denver Bond Program, which voters approved in 2017 to fund critical improvements to infrastructure, Denver’s Department of Transportation & Infrastructure (DOTI) will replace a 60-year-old bridge on West 14th Avenue between north and southbound Speer Boulevard... The bridge is expected to reopen to thru-traffic in February 2021, weather permitting, with intersection improvements continuing through spring 2021.

Per City of Denver

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I meant DURA, not HUD. The exterior is crumbling, so that's all I can speak to.
Probably stucco pealing. That is pretty common.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:37 PM

The clock strikes midnight on September 30th

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...to-clock-tower
Quote:
DENVER — This is the last weekend to view the “Night Lights Denver” on the Daniels and Fisher clock tower, before the installation ends on Sept. 30.

The art installation features 10 different artists' creations using video mapping and projections.

Image courtesy Denver.org

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:06 PM

looks like a 'for lease' sign is up where the TRAIN development in rino was supposed to go...

in other news, wtf is up with the barricades in the middle of the streets we drive? how is this doing anything but making things more dangerous as we try to navigate around these things clogging up intersections? they make it harder to see and force us to enter space in the road where we shouldn't be driving.
hell, i had the wind blow one over nearly killing my dog the other day. this just may be the the stupidest response to covid yet. let's take perfectly safe slow neighborhood streets and throw a bunch of flimsy barricades in the way for no good reason so we can somehow act like shared streets something. moronic.

the next moronic thing is the portapotty that they just dropped into a perfectly safe and not homelessy park in the area. guess they're ready for that no homelessy part to change.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 8:21 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
in other news, wtf is up with the barricades in the middle of the streets we drive?
This is not news, this is a rant.

Quote:
how is this doing anything but making things more dangerous as we try to navigate around these things clogging up intersections?
If they're slowing you down and making you pay attention, they're helping. But really you need to be more specific. Are these up for construction? Then you know why they're there. Are they up for an event? Then you know why they're there. Are they up to make outdoor seating available for a struggling restaurant? Then you know why they're there.

Quote:
hell, i had the wind blow one over nearly killing my dog the other day.
Seriously? Did it blow over and hit your dog causing serious life threatening injuries? Or did it just blow over in the vicinity of you and your dog, causing you both to jump a bit?

Quote:
the next moronic thing is the portapotty that they just dropped into a perfectly safe and not homelessy park in the area. guess they're ready for that no homelessy part to change.
Who is this "they" you speak of? If it's a stupid porta potty placement, you need to talk to Homeless Outloud. They put them up all over the place.

I know, we should not engage with this irrational whiner but I guess I couldn'g help myself this time.

Last edited by Curtis Park; Sep 29, 2020 at 8:26 PM. Reason: Realization

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:44 PM

The owners of 1295 Race St, a 6 story apartment building on the NE corner of Cheesman is applying for a demolition permit. From what I've heard, there aren't any immediate plans to demolish the building, nor are there concrete (pun!) redevelopment plans, but this lot is zoned G-MU-20, so it could potentially be redeveloped into a 20 story condo or apartment building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:50 PM

It looks like PMG is changing the program for the X3 Denver project.

According to the plan, parking will be added to the project (the current plan has no parking) removing two floors of residential. This building is still planned for 22 stories.

From the requested modification:

Quote:
SDP Amendment 1 - The purpose of this amendment is to document the addition of 2 parking level (for a total of 74 parking spaces) and the removal of 2 residential levels, leaving a total of 351 units. This amendment includes programmatic and/or square footage changes on levels 1-7 of the project. Changes to levels 8-22 are minor and largely related to the redistribution of the column grid. The building elevations have also been updated to accommodate these altered levels.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 7:21 PM

Disappointing, but at least it's moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 9:40 PM

X Basecamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
It looks like PMG is changing the program for the X3 Denver project.

According to the plan, parking will be added to the project (the current plan has no parking) removing two floors of residential. This building is still planned for 22 stories.

From the requested modification:
Quote:
SDP Amendment 1 - The purpose of this amendment is to document the addition of 2 parking level (for a total of 74 parking spaces) and the removal of 2 residential levels, leaving a total of 351 units. This amendment includes programmatic and/or square footage changes on levels 1-7 of the project. Changes to levels 8-22 are minor and largely related to the redistribution of the column grid. The building elevations have also been updated to accommodate these altered level
Sounds familiar but not identical.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...own-tower.html
Quote:
Phoenix City Council approved ... a GPLET for the development of a 19-story, 375-unit apartment project that will include 6,000 square feet of commercial space and 144 parking spaces planned for Second Avenue and McKinley Street. According to city documents, a minimum of 10% of the units will be designated for workforce housing.
In exchange for the 'workforce' units, PMG will receive a property tax abeyance for 8 years.
Quote:
According to... documents, the project, called X Basecamp will cost about $92 million to build ... X Basecamp will be developed by the same developer as Society Phoenix on Monroe Street and Third Avenue.
So the critical question is

What will they end up naming this latest project in Denver?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 9:46 PM

Construction on 103-unit affordable housing development in Capitol Hill to begin soon

By James Rodriguez – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Sep 30, 2020, 3:05pm MDT

Quote:
The developers behind a planned affordable housing project at 13th Avenue and Sherman Street in Capitol Hill will soon begin tearing down the existing buildings on the site to make way for a six-story, 103-unit apartment building.

The 120,000-square-foot project, located a block away from the State Capitol, is aptly named Capitol Square Apartments. The roughly half-acre site includes two dilapidated warehouses at 1271 and 1275 Sherman St. as well as a portion of the parking lot immediately to the south, all of which are owned by the Colorado State Land Board.

Mile High Development and Brinshore Development, the project's developers, are working to secure the last of the necessary permits before beginning demolition. George Thorn, president and founder of Mile High Development, told Denver Business Journal the group expects to receive those permits and begin work in October.

The development team is targeting a June 2022 delivery, Thorn said. On Thursday, Oct. 1, the team is hosting an official unveiling ceremony at the site, which will include remarks from Gov. Jared Polis.

Capitol Square Apartments will include 73 one-bedroom units and 30 two-bedroom units above two levels of parking, one of which will be below ground.

The architect on the project is KTGY Architecture + Planning. Milender White is the general contractor.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Construction on 103-unit affordable housing development in Capitol Hill to begin soon

By James Rodriguez – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Sep 30, 2020, 3:05pm MDT
Capitol Square Apartments

Image courtesy Mile High Development

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
I know, we should not engage with this irrational whiner but I guess I couldn'g help myself this time.
This is a blog, after all, which is for opinions and we all have lots of those.

I don't find bulldurhamer's post to be particularly irrational. Good guess that there are many more who share his frustration. While the style might be different it's not unlike something wong might say.

Speaking of street improvements

Lane Closures Planned Along Santa Fe Drive For Safety Improvements
September 28, 2020 By Audra Streetman - CBS4 Denver
Quote:
DENVER (CBS4) – Drivers can expect lane closures along Santa Fe Drive over the next several weeks. Denver’s Department of Transportation & Infrastructure will install safety treatments along the corridor from 6th to Colfax Avenues.
Oh my... What are you going to do to one of my favorite streets.
Quote:
Officials plan to reconfigure Santa Fe from three travel lanes to two in order to calm traffic and reduce vehicle speeds. The changes will center driving lanes and add a five-foot buffer between on-street parking spaces and the existing sidewalk. The construction will create two “parklets” next to the sidewalk to provide a place for people to sit. The city is also adding new bike racks, seating, planters and lighting enhancements.

Crews will also use bollards and paint at intersections to shorten the crossing distance for pedestrians. DOTI is also realigning bus stops and adding left turn lane signs at 6th, 7th, 8th and 11th Avenues.
Let's Go High Brow

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...reetscape.html
Quote:
In our Winter 2020 update, we informed you that our Santa Fe Streetscape Artist Committee selected three local artist who will enhance Santa Fe Drive with their artistic talents in three buffer areas within the project boundary.

Quote:
Alexi High - Alexi is a fourth generation Denverite born and raised on the west side within what would later become the Santa Fe Art District. He currently keeps a studio at the Artists on Santa Fe building and creates work in clay and mixed media. Alexi's work is abstract and contemporary and incorporates industrial and architectural themes. www.alexihigh.com

Quote:
Bimmer Torres - Denver-born street artist Bimmer Torres has created iconic, site-specific art throughout Denver. He specializes in aerosol paint and the use of other mediums to add profound but meticulous aesthetic depth to his work. He likes to entice the curious minds and challenge perspectives through his visually, colorful work. www.bimmert.com

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:40 AM

Rendering of The Cameron, courtesy of JLL via Mile High CRE

Cypress Real Estate Advisors to Develop Upscale Apartment Community in Denver
September 29, 2020 By Mile High CRE
Quote:
Cypress Real Estate Advisors (“CREA”) has received $67 million for the construction of The Cameron, an upscale apartment community located at 4545 E. Warren Ave. in Denver. The Cameron will be a five-story, 361-unit wrap property, consisting of 30 studio, 239 one-bedroom and 92 two-bedroom apartments.

Led by Denver-based Principal Chase Hill and Development Associate Adam Wallace, CREA in partnership with Ben Hrouda of Flywheel Capital, will develop The Cameron on 2.94 acres as the first of a two-phase build-out plan upon a larger 5.35-acre assemblage.
Cypress was the original owner/developer of Denargo Market, specifically building the The Yards and The Crossing at Denargo Market. They are also famous for building the CIVIC Lofts in the Golden Triangle.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
This is a blog, after all, which is for opinions and we all have lots of those.
Not a blog, bro. I know you like to post here like this is your personal blog site, but this is a forum. We're not all talking to you, so it's okay the shut your mouth once in a while.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Not a blog, bro. I know you like to post here like this is your personal blog site, but this is a forum. We're not all talking to you, so it's okay the shut your mouth once in a while.
I stand corrected and as Burger King would say: "Have it your way"
Quote:
What is the purpose of forum?

A forum is a place, situation, or group in which people exchange ideas and discuss issues, especially important public issues. The organisation would provide a forum where problems could be discussed. In ancient Roman towns, the forum was a square where people met to discuss business and political matters.

OR - a medium where ideas and views on a an issue can be exchanged.
You might recall that I was not the OP; I was responding to two previous comments.

That said, in these COVID times, sometimes 'we' just need to vent a little. Hopefully you felt better.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

(Decided to make two posts instead of just one)

Denver real estate market thriving, except for one area
Sep 30, 2020 By: Sean Towle - The Denver Channel
Quote:
DENVER-- Downtown Denver used to be so full of life before the COVID-19 pandemic. “Downtown is kinda silent, and it's kind of a 180 from last year,” Denver High-Rise Living founder Lori Greenly said.

“People are looking for single-family homes and townhomes. They’re moving out of downtown and the condos,” Keller Williams Downtown broker Megan Kemp said. “COVID has really impacted condos in the central business district and people who wanna move downtown,” she said.

Brokers who specialize in condos say it's a trend in the district, not the condo market as a whole. “I’m tracking these price reductions in 80202 right now, because there's some pretty sweet deals,” Greenly said.
Today's Denverite points out that rental rates are down ~5% from a year ago according to Apartment List.

I see all this as a good thing - for now.

I can recall in previous years speculating on the 'end of the RE cycle.' But with construction going on and on, even accelerating we mostly gave up talking about cycles and their ending. BG918 would occasionally issue a 'warning.'

Adjustments

With a focus on the downtown market this feels like more of an adjustment, both as to lifestyle preference and affordability. Chances are we see a lull in new downtown construction. But things will settle soon enough and hopefully costs of construction come down. (Not sure about the rising costs of lumber...) Unfortunately, with lots of new suburban construction (country-wide) lumber prices will be hard to predict.

What I'd like to see

Hopefully, we see more developers look to building TOD outside of the city center. Cypress Real Estate Advisors is but one example of wanting to develop urban/suburban product. There's lots of opportunity for suburban TOD.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:21 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
(Not sure about the rising costs of lumber...) Unfortunately, with lots of new suburban construction (country-wide) lumber prices will be hard to predict.
Can we log it faster than it burns down? Market prices will tell.

Downtown is f'ing weird. Central Denver is f'ing weird. Not a surprise to me that people are fleeing. As more of our offices talk seriously about whether we will ever re-open, and make a vaccine a condition to any re-opening plans... folks are moving on with their lives and making other plans. The die-hard urbanists who stay behind, expect cider prices to plummet. Why? Because bunt_q is going to be the best damn lawyer/orchard-tender there is. Yields gonna skyrocket.

Last edited by bunt_q; Oct 2, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:59 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Downtown is f'ing weird. Central Denver is f'ing weird. Not a surprise to me that people are fleeing. As more of our offices talk seriously about whether we will ever re-open, and make a vaccine a condition to any re-opening plans... folks are moving on with their lives and making other plans. The die-hard urbanists who stay behind, expect cider prices to plummet. Why? Because bunt_q is going to be the best damn lawyer/orchard-tender there is. Yields gonna skyrocket.
Gonna have that million dollar apple farm? First step- start with two million dollars.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:06 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Because bunt_q is going to be the best damn lawyer/orchard-tender there is. Yields gonna skyrocket.

How many orchards / trees can I grow in 210 square feet? With the plummeting air quality, I'm not really using my patio anymore. #urbanfarmer
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Downtown is f'ing weird. Central Denver is f'ing weird. Not a surprise to me that people are fleeing.
The thing that's causing downtown (and adjacent neighborhoods) to feel so dystopian to me lately - even more so than COVID - is the massive homeless camps everywhere. It's hard to feel good about your neighborhood (or the state of the world in general) when you have to walk by/through camps every time you mask up and venture out into the world.

It's a phenomenon that began long before COVID, and really started to accelerate a couple years ago - and I don't quite understand what exactly is behind it. It can't just be housing costs. Even with the housing costs, you can find a way - roommates or whatever you gotta do. And it's not like there's been a sudden dramatic increase in mental health problems and addiction. Has there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West