HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^^^^ I agree, nothing in the high-end spectrum, but the type of outlets that could service hundreds of 24/7 residents next door, throwing in the office workers as well during the day.

..Although, as I believe you mentioned, the Man.Hydro Bldg. hasn't exactly created much of a demand in that regard..
City Place mall management was very disappointed in that. they expected a lot more hydro staff to walk the 2 blocks through the skywalk to come to City Place and use the food court instead of them turning left and walking across the street to Portage Place.

I don't know if its going to make a difference long term in new tenants, but the gentleman who was the head of the property management company running City Place for MPI for years is no longer there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Does MPI really have any incentive to get the retail back up and running? They, by default, acquired a shopping mall. Not trying to be a downer. Just seems to be the way they've been leaning.
No, but in the hope of new and revitalized urban development in the core, we'd hope they would make an effort..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:58 PM

On some TNS news, crews are sure getting that hole dug quick. They've got shoring exposed all the way along the north wall. Starting to turn the corner along the west wall. Hopefully start to see some work for the tower crane foundation soon.

I noticed S&J is hauling all the clay down St. Mary, west to Sherbrooke, then northwards. I wonder where it's all going.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
No, but in the hope of new and revitalized urban development in the core, we'd hope they would make an effort..
Yeah, for sure. Time will tell.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:01 PM

I am not sure you can blame MPI, it's Triovest that has to deal with getting tenants and filling up the mall levels.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:03 PM

Definitely lots of space available at City Place.

http://leasing.triovest.com/?provinc...&Submit=SEARCH

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:06 PM

^^^^ Their was a blurb in the freep today from the Construction Industry on job creation.

400+ Workers over a 4 year timetable..The 4 years was what interested me.

They're projecting the 4 towers and build to be complete on a 4 year timetable,..2020 !?!
But of course, How can you predict the sales of condo units to reach the needed level to begin..ie: Sutton Place Residences?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I am not sure you can blame MPI, it's Triovest that has to deal with getting tenants and filling up the mall levels.
Yeah, I doubt it matters that much who the landlord is... if the customers were there, the mall would grow. But that isn't the case.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Definitely lots of space available at City Place.

http://leasing.triovest.com/?provinc...&Submit=SEARCH
Good God, the former Asia Gifts store is available, and is 4400 sf with rent "negotiable" and additional rent at $20 psf. That's over $90,000 a year in additional rent alone, plus whatever base rent was applied. If that's what Asia Gifts had to pay, how on earth did they ever pay the bills when all they had were crappy vases and Scarface blankets that no one ever seemed to buy?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:32 PM

They did it ongoing since before 97, Lease rates have sky-rocketed and clientele has diminished..Although I'm beginning to veer into the retail based discussion..I bought all my Chinese meditation ball sets there. I spent at least 1k there in the past..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
On some TNS news, crews are sure getting that hole dug quick. They've got shoring exposed all the way along the north wall. Starting to turn the corner along the west wall. Hopefully start to see some work for the tower crane foundation soon.

I noticed S&J is hauling all the clay down St. Mary, west to Sherbrooke, then northwards. I wonder where it's all going.
It looks like once they got out of the foundation area of the old bus depot that the excavation started to move faster.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:02 PM

Not sure if anyones looked through the leasing tab on the website. This is the link to a brochure.

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/wp-co...s_brochure.pdf

Clearly Sutton Hotel came to the table late in the game. All the documents, including the image gallery, show a different design for the Carlton Inn Site. More in-line with the colouring and design of the main square.

Also, looks like they had TDS locked up since at least May of 2015. Test fit PDF's are dated such.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It looks like once they got out of the foundation area of the old bus depot that the excavation started to move faster.
Yeah, must be. I wonder if they took it slow to make sure there were no surprises.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, must be. I wonder if they took it slow to make sure there were no surprises.
Like hydrocarbon contamination from the oil tanks in the heating plant (if the bus depot was not connected to the Eaton's power house?) or drippings from all buses in the departure stalls. I am sure they dripped a lot of oil and antifreeze over the years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:26 PM

Re: TDS - Founding Partner in True North Square

We are excited to announce that Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP (TDS) and TN Square Inc. have concluded a lease under which the firm will become the first Manitoba-based business to be a tenant in True North Square in downtown Winnipeg. We are proud to join with other anchor tenants, The Sutton Place Hotel Company and The Bank of Nova Scotia, in the creation of True North Square.

This project will be the most important downtown development in Winnipeg in a generation. When the Partners learned of the transformative move that True North was undertaking, we made the strategic decision to step up and play a key role in this exciting project. Just as our predecessors played a leading role in the development of 201 Portage Avenue some 25 years ago, we are confident that the present and next generations of our lawyers will continue that legacy in True North Square.

Our promise as an anchor tenant is that we will create a state-of-the-art office that will be fitting for the vision that True North has for this incredible project. Through the use of highly efficient space design and leading edge technology, we will consume fewer resources and will step up to the challenge of creating an environmentally friendly workplace. Our office will be ultra-modern and highly efficient. It will focus on making the best possible use of space, technology and natural light.

We are passionate about this project. Today, we are calling on other businesses to join us. We have signed a lease for the top 3 floors of the magnificent 17-storey office tower that will be constructed at True North Square. There is room for more Manitoba businesses to make the commitment and be part of this project. We made the strategic decision to be a founding partner and anchor tenant because we know it will be in the best interests of our firm, our clients, the City of Winnipeg and the Province.

The law office we are creating will be unlike any you have seen before. We are committed to providing our current clients and lawyers, as well as their next generations, with premises that will meet and exceed their present and future requirements for more collaborative relationships while taking full advantage of state of the art technology. We will be more agile, flexible and efficient in how we work and serve our valued clients.

If you have any questions about our move to True North Square, please contact your TDS lawyer directly or visit our website at www.tdslaw.com for more information.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Called Eaton Place, we are the only major city where we were ashamed of our past and The Eaton name? why?
The name change came in 2001 when David Thompson's Osmington Inc. wanted to re-brand the building in advance of the MTS Center opening.

From I remember hearing was he did not want his building to be associated with a "loser's name' even though most Winnipeger's at the time knew where Eaton's downtown was located and find Eaton Place.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:12 PM
Create and Conquer

I know this isn't super important, but ive been trying to figure out if the hotel is as tall as tower 2. does anyone have any idea? I myself haven't found any reliable way to compare them.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 1:56 AM

CityPlace has really morphed into officer work support retail. That said the pet store always did feel out of place. The mall itself had a street level door for a long time near the current Shark Club street level entrance.

As for the Eaton's annex the stories from my dad make me think he went back to the days that what is now CityPlace was the Eaton's catalogue warehouse (?). Also pretty sure back in the day at least the annex portion also included retail in the basement.

In terms of the Eaton's Place movie theaters, they were a bit smaller than the Towne but from memory the experience was fairly similar.

The change in CityPlace is to the point the old MPI staff cafeteria that was still there about 15 years ago seems to be gone now likely shifting demand to the food court.

Going forward, I think the best move for CityPlace would be to open up the Hargrave street level units to have patios. They definitely have a master plan at play and are executing it. The center court Reno seems to have been done to perhaps host gatherings of some sort? If we are really lucky maybe Eastern Chrysler will reopen their satellite dealership there too

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 3:58 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
CityPlace has really morphed into officer work support retail. That said the pet store always did feel out of place. The mall itself had a street level door for a long time near the current Shark Club street level entrance.

As for the Eaton's annex the stories from my dad make me think he went back to the days that what is now CityPlace was the Eaton's catalogue warehouse (?). Also pretty sure back in the day at least the annex portion also included retail in the basement.
It was the sale annex ... we used to get taken there on Dec. 23 to buy Christmas presents when we were little, armed with the $2 we'd saved up, or whatever it would have been. You could come out with great gifts for that much. I believe it had replaced the loading area for the horse-drawn delivery vehicles that Eaton's used to have, as late as the 1940s.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:07 AM
What could go wrong?

Pure speculation here but I am wondering if we might be getting a tower crane on Sunday. There are special event no parking signs on Carlton outside of the CTV Building from 3pm to 3 am.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan