HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 2:05 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
What is everyone's real name? Aside from Kevin or Kyle, etc...

I'll start, mine is James. We have all known of each other for years now, yet we do not really know each other on a first name basis!
Let's see if we can't expand on that request. NAME, OTHER WEB PRESENCE, WHERE YOU RESIDE, RANDOM FACT

Obviously, I am Kyle.

I have a blog: The Post-Karmic Stream

I live in the Deco District, 78201.

Ed Garza (former mayor) is my neighbor (2 houses away).

Who's next?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 5:18 PM

Cody......(cody backwards is ydoc)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 6:07 PM

I'm David. This is my rarely-updated and quite boring blog. I live in Kansas City right now but am a native Texan. I was mostly raised in SA, but was born in Amarillo.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 7:04 PM
James

Well, I have a myspace (then again, how many 20 year olds don't), but that's quite it with other web presences. Born and raised in SA. My dad is usually somewhere around here yet he never posts anything.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 12:13 AM

Here's a map I made showing how Texas fits into regions of the U.S.
This is based on my own travels, opinions, research, etc.
The map is open for debate! haha

Dark gray: Southwest
Light gray texture: Gulf Coast
White: South

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 4:53 AM
Dryer lint inspector

i'd say the gulf coast region between victorial county and louisiana border could be southern as well. galveston and houston still have a lot of southern traits.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 5:24 AM

I'm Bryan i'm 28 was born in San Antonio but only lived there a year then my parents moved to austin and have lived here since. I also have a myspace page www.myspace.com/sweetatxguy

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:50 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
What is everyone's real name? Aside from Kevin or Kyle, etc...

I'll start, mine is James. We have all known of each other for years now, yet we do not really know each other on a first name basis!
So yep, my name is Kevin. I was also born in San Antonio. My folks had a family friend/doctor who practiced there. The doctor who delivered me was Houston Wade. We went back down to San Antonio around 1988 so my dad could see him since my dad had developed a hurnea. I got to meet him then. He passed away in 1990 I believe. We went to his funeral. I went too. I asked if I could go too because I felt like it was important somehow. Not everyone gets to meet the person who delivered them and attends their funeral. It was kind of odd actually.

I'm 4th generation Texan on my mom's side. Her family is from Wales originally. My dad's side of the family is German. My dad was born in Germany in 1951, and they immigrated to the US in 1957. I was only the third person in my family to be born in the US.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 1:30 PM

NY Times: In Austin, Vinyl Is Still Vital

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 5:14 PM

Not all parts of the "Southwest" counties that border the "South" counties would I consider to be in the Southwest. If most of the county fell west of a straight line drawn down from the border of Tarrant and Parker county, then I highlighted that county.

This map showing the line dividing the Southwest from the South is more precise. According to this, if driving I-35 you would cross into the Southwest as you enter Williamson county. From I-10, you would cross over as you enter Caldwell county. From HWY 190, you would cross over about 5 miles west of the I-35/190 intersection.

The expression that Dallas is where the East ends, and Fort Worth where the West begins seems to be pretty much true haha...not just for cultural reasons but for geographical reasons as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 1:32 AM
Meh

I'm always struck by how flat it is north of Austin. Even just up the road in Williamson County on their eastern side, it's really flat. Kind of strange when you look at western Travis County just ~20 miles away. Some of the areas of Williamson County could pass for West Texas in places like Midland and Lubbock almost. Quite flat. The difference between say Williamson County and Hays County is really very striking even though they're in the same metro and are less than 50 miles apart. Even the vegetation is different. Hays tends to be more forested, rockier and hillier.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 2:25 AM

^^^ Yes, and the eastern side of Williamson county is, according to the line, in the South

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm always struck by how flat it is north of Austin. Even just up the road in Williamson County on their eastern side, it's really flat. Kind of strange when you look at western Travis County just ~20 miles away. Some of the areas of Williamson County could pass for West Texas in places like Midland and Lubbock almost. Quite flat. The difference between say Williamson County and Hays County is really very striking even though they're in the same metro and are less than 50 miles apart. Even the vegetation is different. Hays tends to be more forested, rockier and hillier.
Its similar in the SA metro if you start in Wilson county (mostly flat) and drive 50 or so miles northwest into Bandera or Kendall county (hilly and rocky). Heck, you could even start in southeast Bexar county and go to the northwest part and see a drastic difference just within one county.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:30 AM

I've been lurking around this forum for about the past year and half, but haven't made any post, so this is a good of a time as any to introduce myself. My name's Tom, I'm a HS Senior, and live about an hour north of Austin. I'll be an architecture major at UT next year, and can't wait for the move to Austin . Interestingly enough, this forum - along with travels - is what really got me into pursuing architecture as a career, so thanks for the construction/proposal updates all of you have provided.

I'll also be going to SXSW Thursday - Saturday next week, and hopefully, I'll get a chance to check out more of the construction/newer buildings downtown.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:31 AM
Meh

^Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the the free concert at Auditorium Shores just south of downtown Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Friday Bob Schneider and the ARC Angels will be playing there. Great place to listen to some live, free rock and roll and drool over the skyline.

Here's the schedule.
http://sxsw.com/schedule

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:49 AM

^I'm going to as many free shows as I can since SXSW passes are insanely expensive. I'll definitely be going to Auditorium Shores on Thursday for Cold War Kids and M. Ward, will probably go on Friday too. Saturday, I'll be hanging around emo's for the free day shows and auditorium shores again. Anybody have recommendations for food downtown or south Austin?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:57 AM
Meh

Are you staying in town? If so, where? South Austin, particularly north of Ben White, has so many good restaurants. My favorite is El Gallo on South Congress. It's the best Mexican Food around and is reasonable. It's located across the street from Saint Edward's University. If you go on campus there's a really nice view of the skyline from up there. There's also Restaurant Row on Barton Springs Road in South Austin. There's a strip of restaurants there of all different types. It's within walking distance of Auditorium Shores, just a few blocks.

Here's El Gallo's website:
http://www.elgallorestaurant.com/

And here's the view from Saint Edward's University across the street.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:18 AM

I'm staying with my cousin and his girlfriend in their apartment in south Austin, on Slaughter Ln., during SXSW and during college(would prefer a dorm, but I'd get free housing for 5yrs with them and get to come out of college nearly debt free). I'll check out El Gallo and Restaurant Row. Thanks for the info

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:31 AM
Meh

I know where that is. My sister and her fiancee live on Slaughter.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 6:03 AM

Oh, nice. I'm not sure how long my cousin plans to stay on Slaughter since the have a tendency to change apartments every year or two. Something a little more central would be nice since he works all over Austin and his gf works downtown in the BoA building and plans to get her law degree at UT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral