HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 8:35 PM
arf

^Good point. I think the first thing to determine is what we are voting on and what quorum is needed to make it so. There should only be two choices. Regina and Saskatoon are not big enough to warrant separate sections of any sort.

I propose 2 options:

1 - an SSP local for Winnipeg within the MB/SK subforum
2 - remain as is

In ten years when Saskatoon reaches 500,000 people (although that will require a bounce back in resource prices pretty soon) we can vote on Saskatoon getting a locals section.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 8:57 PM
BANNED

I say Winnipeg should have a separate section within the MB/SK forum. That way all those who are scared about being "separated" won't have far to look to feel whole again

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:16 PM

Are we just going to vote on this every time some newb comes in and brings it up? We voted on this not that long ago, and as 1ajs pointed out, we've voted on it 5 times already.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:50 PM
arf

^Well the thread starter isn't exactly a newb. They joined in 2006.

We have voted on this many times. I am firmly be in the nothing needs to change or even vote on this camp. But Cheswick makes a valid point that the marjority of people saw Winnipeg potentially needing a separate area.

The soap opera continues. I'm waiting for the veiled threats to come in.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 10:30 PM

My vote is to bring NW Ontario into this forum! :-D

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 11:21 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
But they've only got one thread that's mixed with NE Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 12:47 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

FWIW, and I can't remember whether I voted on this issue or not...

I support separating MB & SK subforums.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 12:53 AM
BANNED

I should clarify. My vote ISN'T for separating Manitoba and Saskatchewan into separate forums. My vote if for Winnipeg to have its own SSP section WITHIN the Mansask forum.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
As one of Canada's largest cities and one of the most historically important metropolises of the continent
I think that part of the reason might be because of statements like this, no matter how tongue-in-cheek.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 2:02 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I should clarify. My vote ISN'T for separating Manitoba and Saskatchewan into separate forums. My vote if for Winnipeg to have its own SSP section WITHIN the Mansask forum.
More clicking to get to the same stuff? My experience with the forum over 14 years has been that the more fragmented it gets, the less interesting it gets. Having said that, it's also true that we might be past the point of no return anyway, so that a separate Winnipeg forum has no real impact other than to tidy things up a bit. Whatever you kids want...

However, I certainly wouldn't want to do it based on the "SimCity" logic of "We have attained population X, so now we get a Y" with no particular attention paid to the actual real-life desirability or feasibility of Y.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 3:32 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I used to advocate a separate forum for Winnipeg. But after a while, I realized that remaining the status quo is the best way to go for everyone here, despite the numerous Winnipeg topics around here. It is definitely clear though that both here on the forums, and geographically, Winnipeg is the largest city of its size within the realms of both Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Whereas, Saskatchewan has a more spread out population, with the majority in Saskatoon and Regina.

This is not going to end in a manner where the Winnipeg section will get its own forum within Man/Sask. As mentioned before, this has been put up for votes 5 times, and all of those polls voted down the idea.

If Winnipeg get its own section, you might as well have dedicated forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan instead. I feel that the geography and population distribution of both provinces reflect on the forums here, and having them united here gives it more of a sense of activity.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 11:11 PM

Keeping it as-is is highly symbolic - despite every other place doing things one way, we're the odd man out and have every excuse in the book for why the status quo remains. I hear also that freeze-thaw cycles wreak havoc on the PHP tables.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 1:24 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
We actually did that back when Mansack was created, but Dylan reversed it on the basis that we shouldn't have a province split between multiple sections, and at the time I was the only active Thunder Bayer on the board. There are now several more.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan