HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 6:00 PM

^ Further to my post above...

I received a call from Qualico. They told me that utilities construction IS taking place right now. Tenants are still being acquired and as it sits right now, the area will be open for business MINIMUM 3 years from now. By 2020, it should be bustling with businesses, traffic, people.

This project is still a go as of now.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:35 AM

Highway 2 through Red Deer:

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 6:05 PM

More talk about the upcoming Southpointe Junction here:
http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happenin...22-street.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Highway 2 through Red Deer:

Video Link
Keep this video public. It will be interesting to compare your video with a new one after the Gaetz/QEII project is finished.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:29 AM

Officially 'game on' at 67th/30th roundabout.

All extensions have been connected and it fully opens to traffic on Sept. 28th by 9am.

Beautiful. It is a major stepping stone towards the North Highway Connector. The Citys focus in the NE will be the NHC construction for the next few years along with the future 20th Ave.... it's going to be awesome.

http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happenin...wednesday.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 6:30 PM

Gasoline Alley to get residential and commercial project. Pic in article.

Some highlights from article:

Quote:
Sylvan Lake-based Emerald Developments Ltd. is planning to start work soon on a project that will feature a ground-floor grocery store, pharmacy and doctors office topped by 60 one-two-and three-bedroom rental suites aimed at the 55-plus market.
Quote:
The county will allow only four buildings in Gasoline Alley to exceed six storeys as part of an intermunicipal development with the City of Red Deer.

Emerald’s project would be the second. A six-storey, 65-unit apartment building near Liberty Avenue and Lake Street was approved last year.
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/busin...rcial-project/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:45 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Gasoline Alley seems to be an odd place for residential development.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 8:37 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Understatement of the month...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Gasoline Alley seems to be an odd place for residential development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ Understatement of the month...
Haha. You would think so.....

Follow this link and prepare to have your mind blown.

https://reddeercounty.civicweb.net/f...02?preview=736

Here's a little blurb from that link.
Quote:
Over the next 15 to 30 years, Gasoline Alley West is projected to house an estimated 5000 to 8000 people in a diversity of housing forms
Edit: This development has been in the works for at least 10-15 years.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 4:47 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ You win. That's kinda crazy.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 11:07 PM

As it appears today, it would seem that it's a node geared towards the travelling public, but as the plan suggests, it will be its own self contained bustling community. I am surprised to learn that Gasoline Alley is part of RD County and not RD City! Wonder if RD City has plans to annex it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Haha. You would think so.....

Follow this link and prepare to have your mind blown.

https://reddeercounty.civicweb.net/f...02?preview=736

Here's a little blurb from that link.

Edit: This development has been in the works for at least 10-15 years.
Wow. the lunatic planners have taken over the asylum.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
As it appears today, it would seem that it's a node geared towards the travelling public, but as the plan suggests, it will be its own self contained bustling community. I am surprised to learn that Gasoline Alley is part of RD County and not RD City! Wonder if RD City has plans to annex it?
When RD County came up with the plan, the City of RD was not very happy about a proposed 8000 person community on their southern doorstep. In the mid 00's, the City needed to annex County land and it turned very sour, really quickly. In fact, during the negotiations for annexing, things got so bad that the City went ahead and tried to annex the entire property of Gasoline Alley. The process broke down big time and they went to mediation over it.

After that, they worked things out and things have been very favorable for both the City and County ever since.

So in short, the City is good with the residential proposed for Gas Alley, and the City did end up with annexed land that increased their land size by 50%.

But if you were to look back in the mid 00's, the relationship was very different between the two.

Lots of people do think that Gas Alley is a part of RD city but yah, it's been county property the whole time. And it's the County's golden egg (tax revenue). It's probably why they opposed a QEII realignment when AB Transportation wanted to route QEII around Gas Alley.

There's lots of history to learn about this area. haha.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:54 AM

Regarding my post above. Here is some history between Red Deer and the County of Red Deer. It's an interesting read on past growth problems and where the future growth is headed. These two articles are from 2007 but it covers everything pretty well.

This first link is an overview of the problems and has good info and history. Little bit of a long read, but it's interesting to see where they ageed and disagreed.
http://www.reddeerarea.com/Red-Deer-...background.htm

This second link contains a lot of the same info but goes a little further into certain things. It also contains good infographics and explanations.
http://www.reddeerarea.com/Red-Deer-...ive-growth.htm

Current City of Red Deer boundary map is here: http://reddeer.ca/media/reddeerca/ab...d/IndexMap.jpg

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:01 AM

Pics of the new expansion at Red Deer College. Coming along nicely. It's gonna be great!

Pics here:

http://rdc.ab.ca/about/community/can.../photo-gallery

ALSO, the camera owl boxes are finally online to provide 'live' views of the Gaetz/QEII interchange project!!!!

Available here:

http://alberta.owlbox.ca/HomeDiscovery.aspx?homeID=1425

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 11:02 PM

And so begins the residential development of Gasoline Alley.

Quote:
A major residential project is getting underway in Gasoline Alley.

Red Deer County plans have long envisioned a large residential component for the Gasoline Alley area but development has been slow.

Calgary’s Lamont Land Inc. is about to change that.

Red Deer County’s municipal planning commission approved the creation of 86 lots near Laura Avenue and McKenzie Road. It is the first phase of an anticipated six-phase, 700-lot project.

Lamont senior development manager Scott Lamont said they have already started grading and hope to see houses going up in the early fall.

Lamont, said it will be a typical neighbourhood with single-family homes, duplexes, townhomes and a pair of multi-family sites.

Two builders have already signed on, Red Deer’s Falcon Homes and Edmonton’s Bedrock Homes, which is a newcomer to this market.

Originally, Lamont was looking at 140 first-phase lots but pared that down to better reflect local markets.

“We just felt at the time that was too big of a phase based on what the economy is doing,” he said.

Lamont said the timing is right for the project, especially with the province well into its $80-million Hwy 2 interchange project.

“We think that Gasoline Alley, in particular, has a lot going for it,” he said, pointing out commercial construction has remained strong despite the recession.

While the city’s housing market has not fully bounced back, there is demand for housing in south and southwestern Red Deer, he said.

“This kind of rounds out some of the choice that consumers have,” he said. “People are interested in that area and I think it will spur a lot of activity.”

Dave Dittrick, Red Deer County director of planning and development services, housing has been strong in the county with 140 starts last year and about the same projected for this year.

“This Liberty Landing project, we think, is going to fill an important niche — starter homes, more affordable housing for younger people,” said Dittrick.

The county’s $6 million investment into Gasoline Alley and the province’s highway spending is triggering a lot of interest from developers.

“Given the flyover project, we’re anticipating big things to happen in 2018 and 2019.”
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...asoline-alley/
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
And so begins the residential development of Gasoline Alley.

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...asoline-alley/
Hi Tru.Albertan, thanks for the post. The Red Deer forum has been pretty quiet lately. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

I'll chime in with the others - it shocks me a little bit to think of Gasoline Alley as a place where people would like to live. I'm interested to see how all of this pans out.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
Hi Tru.Albertan, thanks for the post. The Red Deer forum has been pretty quiet lately. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

I'll chime in with the others - it shocks me a little bit to think of Gasoline Alley as a place where people would like to live. I'm interested to see how all of this pans out.
Yah no worries.

I'm very interested in how the whole Gasoline Alley residential pans out. It's going to be tucked in behind all the commercial on the west side. Wouldn't be a bad place to live actually. They are already planning some road upgrades. We'll see if this takes off.

Like I said above, it's been planned for a long time. The County of Red Deer really wants Gas Alley to explode into something quite different than exists now.
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:22 PM

Updated construction pics for the Gary W. Harris building at Red Deer College.

http://rdc.ab.ca/about/community/gar.../photo-gallery
Are going insane.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 6:15 PM

Here is more info on "Liberty Landing" which is the first phase of a 6 phase build out for Gasoline Alley West. (Residential development). This is what the county hopes to see.

https://reddeercounty.civicweb.net/document/28488
Are going insane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia