HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 5:53 PM

Renderings of How we expect Winnipeg to Look in 10 years/15 years/20 years

Hello guys! Just something I thought could turn into a fun thread:

Anyone who wants a shot or has the skills to do this can go for it in your spare time; just make a rendering (either skyline shot or google map style aerial of the whole city) of how you think the city will look like in either 10, 15, 20, 25 years!

If you do a skyline shot just throw some random blocks/buildings in where you think they would be,

If you do a google map style satellite view, just draw in where you think the sprawl/city limits will stretch!

Essentially, a "fantasy" type thread if you will. If I had such skills I would totally try right now...(if anyone wanna gimme a tip on how they get those googlemap satellite images saved on their desktops?)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 11:51 PM

Close your eyes and picture Winnipeg right now.....k, got it??? That's how it will look in 10..15...20 years.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Pretty much like it does now... but with jetpacks.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:43 PM
What could go wrong?

I know the Calgary and Toronto guys are good (really good) at doing future renderings. I think it is a neat idea except that Winnipeg doesn't have/get a lot of proposals for skyline altering buildings. It would be fun to throw in placemarker buildings of where people think that there are possibilities of future development.

I too am not good at making these drawings but would love to see a 20-25 storey, triangle building at Notre Dame @ Elice & something, anything is better than the gravel lot at Portage & Main. Development of a 20-25 storey building on the pad at the Commodity Exchange Tower (360 Main). Some mid rise condos next to Earls on Main St. Something, anything on the lots across from the old post office building. Of course redevelopment on the pads at Portage Place. I would love a 600 footer somewhere but i realize that shorter denser towers are what we need right now......but since this is a fantasy thread what the hell - plunk it down at the lot on Graham across fro Cityplace & the CTV Building. I like the idea of spreading the height/focal point away from Portage and Main. We need some new angles to view downtown from.

Unfortunately Roccerfeller, I'm sure you will get most of the Winnipeg formers on this board poo-pooing this idea because it does nothing for street level presence, dead space after 6pm, blaa, blaa blaa.....

I think it is fun idea to fantasize, i just wish i could make it a visual for all to see.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:54 PM
Density and complexity

Corner of Albert and McDermot, circa 2025:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 3:07 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Well i hope they at least use red brick to "blend" in with the neighborhood.^^^
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 PM
I am a typical

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 6:26 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I think everything would be the same, except recladded in glass or transparent aluminum, and everyone will be "walking" with segways, and cars would be powered with hydrogen and batteries.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 6:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
How dense is the area of new suburbs? Does that bus line mean possible BRT or should we just start with LRT? How long ago was the last LRT study on that corridor done?

......actually don't laugh, with all the rapid transit studies the City of Winnipeg has done i bet there is a rapid transit study of that exact link.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 7:04 PM
I am a typical

Ontario has probably done about 20 studies regarding the highway between here and the border since the 1970s. It used to be served by a tonne of bus lines but now only Greyhound serves it, reluctantly. (The province had to bail them out even though it already has a Northern Ontario long distance bus system, called Northland, similar to the system in Saskatchewan.)

The new suburbs would of course be New Urbanism type concept suburbs centred on Ikeas. All of the houses would be accessed by bike lanes, cars would be stored underground via robotic lifts.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know the Calgary and Toronto guys are good (really good) at doing future renderings. I think it is a neat idea except that Winnipeg doesn't have/get a lot of proposals for skyline altering buildings. It would be fun to throw in placemarker buildings of where people think that there are possibilities of future development.

I too am not good at making these drawings but would love to see a 20-25 storey, triangle building at Notre Dame @ Elice. Development of a 20-25 storey building on the pad at the Commodity Exchange Tower (360 Main). Some mid rise condos next to Earls on Main St. Something, anything on the lots across from the old post office building. Of course redevelopment on the pads at Portage Place. I would love a 600 footer somewhere but i realize that shorter denser towers are what we need right now......but since this is a fantasy thread what the hell - plunk it down at the lot on Graham across fro Cityplace & the CTV Building. I like the idea of spreading the height/focal point away from Portage and Main. We need some new angles to view downtown from.

Unfortunately Roccerfeller, I'm sure you will get most of the Winnipeg formers on this board poo-pooing this idea because it does nothing for street level presence, dead space after 6pm, blaa, blaa blaa.....

I think it is fun idea to fantasize, i just wish i could make it a visual for all to see.
haha yeah

I just remember 1ajs posting in the skyscraper thread (Canada thread; from a Wpg free press article) about how there will apparently be 18 new towers downtown in the next 25 years so I thought there might be some fun with that!

Either way, I too dont know how to do renders haha

But as far as how the city could stretch out, here is my take on it (I got this image off of google image search)

This is my take 25-30 years from now of how city could fill out

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 7:46 PM
I am a typical

I can see it now. NIMBYs protesting with signs that read: "We don't want Headingly to lose its historic downtown's charm to suburbanization! WE ARE NOT WINNIPEG!"

(They have very small but neat printing.)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 8:24 PM
What could go wrong?

I want a black glass building in Winnipeg. A tall one. i believe there was a rendering around before for a Richardson or Great-West Life building located around Lombard that was black.

This one is in Rio. I love it if you could cut it in half and just use one of the ends as a tower on its own. (140 m, 41 fl)

photo:http://b.imagehost.org/0317/forum_1.jpg

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 9:12 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Well i hope they at least use red brick to "blend" in with the neighborhood.^^^
It will. It will also have some "innovative" colored lights and banners on the facade. It's going to really add some razzle-dazzle to the downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 12:29 AM

Id rather see smaller infill develop rather than high rises, if Winnipeg could just have 1/3 the street life and charm of Montreal....

I'd like to see something like this on Provencher on the former gas station site:

http://www.archdaily.com/68031/1111-...ig-architects/

And infill around the downtown like the following scaled projects:

http://www.archdaily.com/51744/bouci...enac-gonzalez/

http://www.archdaily.com/34581/the-h...er-architects/

http://www.archdaily.com/35108/remin...-architecture/

http://www.archdaily.com/32182/904-p...-architecture/

http://www.archdaily.com/20466/935-p...5-architecture

across from the MTS Centre could be homes to the returning Jets players:

http://www.archdaily.com/3547/tetris...fis-arhitekti/

http://www.archdaily.com/6547/lace-a...fis-arhitekti/

Corydon Osborne area:

http://www.archdaily.com/16194/formo...ha-architects/

Id like the green space opposite the ballpark developed into an urban type village of sorts:

http://www.archdaily.com/9442/studen...in-paris-ofis/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 12:38 AM

^^^ Those are some awesome looking buildings. I can think of a lot of places in Winnipeg that could use something at exactly that scale...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 12:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if that 535436 firm keeps it up we will get lots of kool nifty stuff

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 1:44 PM
What could go wrong?

WpG_GuY, i am with you 100% on those type of buildings. That is something that Winnipeg should try to aspire to right now. All we need to do is keep thinking out side the box (i say "keep" because i feel we are starting to do this with any of the 546..... Architecture projects, the Museum, Buhler Centre, Richardson College etc).

What i was dreaming of was more of a skyline altering, dreaming type of new buildings. I know we can't support them right now but it was just a kind of fantasy type of idea.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 4:14 PM

Wpg Guy, those are awesome buildings... I could imagine those filling up downtown or st boniface, or even osbourne up...great stuff

Biff, a black tower like the one you posted would be awesome. Did Great West Life actually have a tower rendering like that? They should get on that soon hehe

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 4:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

I really like this one for some reason. I guess i think that Winnipeg projects lack colour. You are right, it would look great on Provencher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan