HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:41 PM
Closed account

Let's pray for W.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:45 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
The one in Portland has so much emphasis on art in each of the rooms-- it floors me how flat-out awesome the rooms are without being over-the-top.
we had an all-white room (bricks/walls/bedding, etc) that had a hidden shower (the wall slid over) that revealed a 4-head bright red walk-in shower. it was unreal. so simple and so astounding. we could see the water from the room and we had a 10 minute walk to the market for fresh organic donut peaches in the morning. had great espresso, great weather, and great times. simple things make the PNW the greatest place on earth.

(and now back to 100 degree 90% humidity in san antonio...)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Come on now, you know it's never 100 degrees with 90% humidity. Though imaging that is almost nightmarish.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:50 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Come on now, you know it's never 100 degrees with 90% humidity. Though imaging that is almost nightmarish.
honestly, the last 10 days or so have been nightmarish - and its only june. thankfully its windy today - gotta mow the lawn when i get home.

90% humidity may have been an exaggeration. just don't get me thinking about cool, crisp summer days in PNW again.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:50 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
we had an all-white room (bricks/walls/bedding, etc) that had a hidden shower (the wall slid over) that revealed a 4-head bright red walk-in shower. it was unreal. so simple and so astounding. we could see the water from the room and we had a 10 minute walk to the market for fresh organic donut peaches in the morning. had great espresso, great weather, and great times. simple things make the PNW the greatest place on earth.

(and now back to 100 degree 90% humidity in san antonio...)
Seattle and Portland are great-- Seattle is the big city big brother of Portland, but they both share the same love of the aesthetic and the human elements. Even tourist spots in the city are geared toward locals equally. That's why I can't imagine living anywhere but the PNW or SA

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
honestly, the last 10 days or so have been nightmarish - and its only june. thankfully its windy today - gotta mow the lawn when i get home.

90% humidity may have been an exaggeration. just don't get me thinking about cool, crisp summer days in PNW again.
I actually have liked the last few days. Sunny skies, windy with low-ish humidity.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:02 PM
Closed account

humidity came back though....

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:06 PM

Yes, but because it's an overcast day.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:13 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I actually have liked the last few days. Sunny skies, windy with low-ish humidity.
i guess i got spoiled in africa. summer highs in the 70s with lows in the 50s... i'll leave weather talk to steve browne. i don't care how hot it gets as long as you keep coming up with great finds like the joskes thing, sirking.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:15 PM
Closed account

SA weather could be worse. We could live in some vicious combo of Phoenix and New Orleans (hurricanes, humidity and 120 degree temperatures )

edit: Back on subject. Would the current building be torn down, or just renovated?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Historic Joske's building purchased by Rivercenter Mall owners

June 5, 2008 3:25 PM ET

An iconic property in downtown San Antonio could soon find itself part of a larger rehab of the area's leading shopping destination.

New York-based Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp. (AAC) has purchased the former Joske's department store building from Little Rock-based Dillard's Inc. The firm has also announced plans to revitalize the property.

The building, which dates back to 1867, spans a total of 550,000 square feet on Main Plaza. At present, a Dillard's department store occupies about 160,000 square feet of the property.

In 1988, the building became part of a regional shopping center known as Rivercenter Mall. AAC, in turn, purchased Rivercenter in July 2005.

According to Barry Lustig, senior vice president of leasing for AAC, "Negotiations between Dillard's and AAC for the acquisition (of the Joske's building) began in early 2007, and were critical to our redevelopment plans."

In addition to renovating the Joske's building itself, those redevelopment plans also include adding some new retail and high-end restaurant venues to the mall, adds Rivercenter General Manager Chris Oviatt. The lagoon area of the mall along Commerce will be renovated, and plans also call for "major updates" to the mall's interior.

"We're calling this a Grand Re-Imaging," Oviatt continues. "It's been 20 years since Rivercenter opened, and AAC is excited about the opportunity to revitalize this iconic River Walk destination."

As for the Dillard's store in the Joske's building, it will remain open through mid-August, according to Dillard's spokesperson Julie Bull. Her firm is currently working to relocate employees at the Rivercenter store to the retailer's four remaining stores in San Antonio.

The Joske's building first opened to the public back in 1867 -- the first of a chain of Joske's department stores that would ultimately dot the retail landscape in Texas and Phoenix. The store was founded by German immigrant Julius Joske.

The chain was ultimately purchased by Dillard's in 1987. As part of that deal, all of the department store's moniker went from Joske's to Dillard's.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:13 PM

There are some sweet looking renderings of what the building will eventually look like. I'll see if I can find them online. The renderings basically make this look like an entirely new downtown development.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jun 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The building, which dates back to 1867, spans a total of 550,000 square feet on Main Plaza. At present, a Dillard's department store occupies about 160,000 square feet of the property
Don't they mean Alamo Plaza?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 12:14 AM

Yes they do.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 1:23 AM

I thought Dillard's was based in Dallas?

This will be a cool redevelopment, but I have to be honest that I'm going to miss the old Rivercenter Mall. It could take away from some of the unique "small town square" feel of Alamo Plaza as well, but that's not necessarily a bad thing really.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I thought Dillard's was based in Dallas?
Arkansas

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:10 PM

The original store was in Main Plaza, but they moved to the Alamo Plaza site a few years later. I don't know that they're doing any lofts/condos on top. And I heard if there's any hotel portion, they might build that in place of a parking garage rather than on top of the Joske's.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...N.36e07ff.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:09 PM

What do y'all think? Its definitely got a Southern CA/South FL vibe, which is odd considering they want to make the mall portion look more "Hill Country".

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:24 PM

^^^ Not bad, but I was hoping the white facade would be going. Afterall, didn't the original Joske's facade look like the McDonalds across the street...red brick and white trim??

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:46 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

What do y'all think? Its definitely got a Southern CA/South FL vibe, which is odd considering they want to make the mall portion look more "Hill Country".
I think that would be defined as "Hollywood Hill Country".

It definitely livens up the area, though...

I wonder if this couldn't be our answer to Victory Park in Dallas (specifically AT&T Plaza). you know, video screens, high-end retail, fine dining, and a little bit of ooh and aah to wow the dense pedestrian traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio