HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 2:44 AM
Urban Dreamer

Traffic Bridge

A city report recommends tearing down the iconic Traffic Bridge and replacing it with a modern replica.

The highly-anticipated report, released Wednesday and set for debate Monday night by council, says the bridge should be replaced with a modern steel truss replica with wider lanes, at a cost between $27 million and $34 million.

A modern replacement “balances the needs of the community while reducing engineering and financial risks,” the city report says.

The entire structure, including three-metre-wide bike and pedestrian walkways on either side and significantly wider traffic lanes, would be close to double the width of the current bridge, at roughly 13.5 metres.

“One hundred years from now the new bridge will be the historic bridge,” Mayor Don Atchison said in an interview.

“This is a bridge right now that we’re not sure how much work needs to be done on it (to save it). We know 60 to 70 per cent of the bridge cannot be saved already. So when we start working with the rest of it. . . maybe it’s 100 per cent, we don’t know, and the costs can escalate. If it ends up being $50 or $60 million, people are going to say, ‘Why would you have done that?’ ”

The city’s administration is recommending a design-build process that would ensure a new bridge would be designed to meet modern engineering standards and incorporate the “heritage and architecture of the existing bridge.”

The bridge would cost $130,000 less per year than a rehabilitated Traffic Bridge, the report says. It would be built on refurbished piers, which need $4 million of work to bring them up to the 80-year lifespan expected for any of the options.

Increasing the width of the bridge will allow fire trucks and buses to use the bridge, which isn’t currently allowed, and will reduce the chance of sideswipe collisions, the city report says.

The other remaining options for the closed-down bridge — rehabilitate the 103-year old structure for $24 million to $34 million or replace it with a conventional girder and deck bridge for between $26 million and $35 million — are not recommended in the report but could be revived if they receive majority support from council.

Preserving the Traffic Bridge had benefits, the report said, mainly as a heritage icon. The city’s founding bridge, it’s also the last surviving Parker through truss bridge. As such, the city could access senior government funds for national historic recognition it may otherwise not be able to.

But it wasn’t recommended because of the high risk of cost increases, more expensive annual maintenance and the risks with the old steel not being up to modern standards.

The city will have to come up with a strategy either through borrowing or other government programs.

The future of the bridge has become one of the most polarizing issues in the city since it closed in late-August after inspectors found it was at risk of collapsing.

The closure expedited an ongoing public consultation process that narrowed the bridge future to three options.

Meanwhile, opposition among heritage groups is growing to any option that doesn’t save the Traffic Bridge in its original design.

The entire core faculty of the University of Saskatchewan’s planning program — Ryan Walker, Avi Akkerman, Jill Gunn and Robert Patrick — co-signed a letter urging council to give the bridge official heritage designation and rebuild it according to its original design.

“A decision by (council) to re-construct the current bridge according to its authentic heritage characteristics will be looked back on as an investment in the public history of this city,” the planning professors write.

dhutton@thestarphoenix.com
© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Tear+d...#ixzz15b9Qaas4

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:01 AM

Traffic Bridge

I think that the City report hits the nail on the head for what needs to be done with the traffic bridge a replica is a must. This bridge will be one of the main entrances to River Landing and it must be functional for buses as well be functional for increased pedestrian and bike traffic.

As for the historical society they would be much better off putting their efforts into ideas in how to maintain some of the bridge heritage in a different way.

I believe it would be great to the the East section of the bridge that the City is now saying they will remove be incorporated into one of the walk ways along Meewasin close to the existing bridge. Or possible somehow incorporated into a path leading to Nasser's River Landing Village. I think this would be an excellent way to commemorate Saskatoon's historic traffic bridge as well as tying our future to the past.

Now if the historical society took an idea like that and ran with it I think they would find much more support. The current bridge layout just isn't functional for the next 100 years for Saskatoon, especially if we want our Downtown to grow in density.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:24 AM
Urban Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measuring Stick View Post
I think that the City report hits the nail on the head for what needs to be done with the traffic bridge a replica is a must. This bridge will be one of the main entrances to River Landing and it must be functional for buses as well be functional for increased pedestrian and bike traffic.

As for the historical society they would be much better off putting their efforts into ideas in how to maintain some of the bridge heritage in a different way.

I believe it would be great to the the East section of the bridge that the City is now saying they will remove be incorporated into one of the walk ways along Meewasin close to the existing bridge. Or possible somehow incorporated into a path leading to Nasser's River Landing Village. I think this would be an excellent way to commemorate Saskatoon's historic traffic bridge as well as tying our future to the past.

Now if the historical society took an idea like that and ran with it I think they would find much more support. The current bridge layout just isn't functional for the next 100 years for Saskatoon, especially if we want our Downtown to grow in density.
I agree completely. As much as I'm all for preserving the few historical aspects of Saskatoon, I don't think the width of this bridge should be one of them. Ensuring that all possible transit connections are made for future growth is a must within the city.

A side note, I went to see Carme Pinos give a lecture on some of her projects today and one interesting one was a park that is being built in Madrid over removed railway tracks. This space separated the old city from the new city and is now a doorway to both. I instantly thought of Saskatoon and the warehouse district and the possibilities if the city can remove the rails.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 10:11 AM

I do not like the idea of a replica, mainly because it would not be a replica; it would be stylistically similar to the current Traffic Bridge at best. Even worse, it is more expensive to both build and maintain than a conventional bridge. It is a half-assed solution that will placate neither the historical society (they view it as pale imitation of the original) or people who think the traffic bridge is ugly.

That said, I do not want to rehabilitate the current bridge. First, doing so is too expensive (150k maintenance per year). Second, given the bridge's recent history, I am reluctant to trust any estimates regarding its future lifespan or cost associated with its future lifespan; engineers told us in 2005 that it would last another 20 years, and they were clearly wrong. Finally, I want Saskatoon to become a more bike-friendly city, and the current Traffic Bridge is anything but. A new bridge will have bike lanes and widened vehicle lanes, not to mention two pedestrian paths on either side. For those who wanted a bridge dedicated to pedestrians/cyclists, this is the next best option.

Our growing city clearly needs a new and reliable bridge with enhanced features. A "replica" steel truss bridge is not my preferred option for the reasons I have discussed, but it is far better than sinking more money into a bridge that no longer wants to stand.

Oh, and maybe the city will take this as a lesson to maintain is infrastructure? We wouldn't be losing our 100-year-old+ bridge if the city applied a coupe buckets of paint to the bridge every couple years. Disgraceful.

edit: I like the above suggestion for incorporating sections of the bridge into the Meewasin Valley! We need to do something to preserve the bridge... something that does not involve rehabilitating it .

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:58 PM

If people want to save part of the bridge and incorporate it somewhere along the river my problem is that I have a feeling it may look tacky and out of place. But if they can make it work and look good then i'm all for it.

On a side note, all of you who post photos on here, how do you keep them at a reasonable size? I would like to post some, but all my previous ones have been enormous sizes, is there a scale thing on this site or do you have them on a seperate blog and import them smaller? a little help? I tried looking on this website for info but came across none.
thanks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:39 PM

I think the replica is making the best of a bad situation. The bridge should never have been allowed to deteriorate to the condition it's in now, but years of neglect and inaction from city councils past made it happen. Now as a result, we've lost yet another piece of our history.

Like you, I don't trust the assessment of the original bridge's future lifespan after a rehab. We got burned before, and my gut feeling is that we'd just be throwing good money after bad. I'd be afraid that four years later, we'd be told it's unsafe again and be right back in the same situation.

The girder bridge option was a bad idea from the get-go. We don't need yet another ugly, flat bridge that looks no more attractive than an overpass. We already have one and another one's under construction.

The truss replica will at least give us a new, functional bridge with a bit of aesthetic value and historic symbolism. The cost difference between it and the girder bridge is marginal, so people can't really bitch about the price tag.

Link: Traffic Bridge Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I do not like the idea of a replica, mainly because it would not be a replica; it would be stylistically similar to the current Traffic Bridge at best. Even worse, it is more expensive to both build and maintain than a conventional bridge. It is a half-assed solution that will placate neither the historical society (they view it as pale imitation of the original) or people who think the traffic bridge is ugly.

That said, I do not want to rehabilitate the current bridge. First, doing so is too expensive (150k maintenance per year). Second, given the bridge's recent history, I am reluctant to trust any estimates regarding its future lifespan or cost associated with its future lifespan; engineers told us in 2005 that it would last another 20 years, and they were clearly wrong. Finally, I want Saskatoon to become a more bike-friendly city, and the current Traffic Bridge is anything but. A new bridge will have bike lanes and widened vehicle lanes, not to mention two pedestrian paths on either side. For those who wanted a bridge dedicated to pedestrians/cyclists, this is the next best option.

Our growing city clearly needs a new and reliable bridge with enhanced features. A "replica" steel truss bridge is not my preferred option for the reasons I have discussed, but it is far better than sinking more money into a bridge that no longer wants to stand.

Oh, and maybe the city will take this as a lesson to maintain is infrastructure? We wouldn't be losing our 100-year-old+ bridge if the city applied a coupe buckets of paint to the bridge every couple years. Disgraceful.

edit: I like the above suggestion for incorporating sections of the bridge into the Meewasin Valley! We need to do something to preserve the bridge... something that does not involve rehabilitating it .

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:04 AM

New bridge No. 1 pick
City recommends steel truss structure over other proposals

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix
November 18, 2010

A city report recommends tearing down the Traffic Bridge and replacing it with a modern steel truss structure.

The highly anticipated report, released Wednesday and set for debate Monday by council, says the bridge should be replaced with a similar-styled steel truss bridge with wider lanes, at a cost between $27 million and $34 million.

A modern replacement "balances the needs of the community while reducing engineering and financial risks," the city report says. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/bridge...#ixzz15gpezWhy

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 7:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so its going to die the death of scrap? what a shame

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 11:58 PM

Sounds like the City has been listening to us

Reuse options for the traffic bridge:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Saskat...334/story.html

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:11 AM
working stiff

Another City of Saskatoon special. Councilor Neault wants wider driving lanes for...*drumroll*...trade show tents.

Video Link

This beat is totally danceable

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan