HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Well I sure hope it gets better. As it sits it’s terrible, slap dash infrastructure and it’s over signaged because it’s a bad design. I wouldn’t call it a planning. fail , just not that well done.
As a user of the permanent bike lanes throughout the City, they work well where they exist imo.
The bike lanes I use predominantly on the south side don't appear to have the issues you are noting.
I've seen and used the 102ave and 122st bike lanes downtown & oliver and they seem fine as well. The 122st is just some painted lines, but it's not a busy road so it works.
They look pretty much identical to what I've seen in Vancouver. A mix of infrastructure; green posts, curbs, potted planters and just painted lines. I'm not sure what other things should be used. All these seem to work.

That said, I was used to riding around on the streets and sidewalks with no protection or space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:40 PM
Community Guy

A good meeting with Lime Bike today. Looking forward to next steps.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
A good meeting with Lime Bike today. Looking forward to next steps.
Must have been a hell of a good meeting. Lime map of locations has a nice bright green dot where Edmonton is though not yet listed. https://www.li.me/locations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 2:35 AM
Community Guy

...or Calgary, where they are now operating.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 2:16 PM
Community Guy

Coming soon to a city near you...

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1117793572206432258
@ianoyeg

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 3:11 AM

Scooters!!! Goody goody goody!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 5:52 PM
Community Guy

May 30
7-9pm
MacEwan Roundhouse

A free talk on best practices for bike share permits in Edmonton

About this Event
It’s looking like bike shares are coming to Edmonton! Third-party companies will get operator permits from the City of Edmonton to provide dockless bikes to Edmontonians.

How these permits work is still being explored.

University of Alberta Urban and Regional Planning students Kaelin Koufogiannakis and Stephen Raitz researched best practices for bike share permits (within an Edmonton context) and will present their findings and recommendations.

This public event invites citizens, community leaders and planners to explore how Edmonton can brrring brrring bike shares to the city.

It’s free.

The development of this study was initiated by Downtown Business Association and Old Strathcona Business Association.

This event is made possible through the generous support of the Roundhouse and Edmonton Community Foundation.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/brrring-...ts-61737209656

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:57 PM

Some of the hills on the river valley are killer. I wish they'd rebuild some of them, maybe with switchbacks if required, and limit the grade to 6%.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:16 PM

^all our river/ravine crossings bar the high level cross at at the lowest possible point. Makes walking, cycling and braking your car in winter a Nightmare. seems old versions of council were just as cheap as the current ones.

I don’t think it’s in the plans but I hope the extension lrt to ellerslie can include a new multi use path that doesn’t have the crazy elevation change (or random switching of sides of the road )

Also it’s pretty messed up that there’s always speed traps at the bottoms of the hills. Everyone naturally speeds up going down so quite the money maker for the city I assume.

Last edited by mintzilla; May 14, 2019 at 1:04 AM. Reason: fucking mobile posting

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:54 PM

Oblique bike question for Edmontonians, if I may.

Which store there would be best to check out for mountain biking shoes? I'm not well-acquainted with the range of stores there.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:25 PM
Community Guy

Red Bike
Hardcore Mountain Bike Store
United Cycle

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Red Bike
United Cycle
Thanks!

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Thanks!
Westend - Revolution and Mud Sweat and Gears

Terwilliger -Cranky's.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Red Bike
United Cycle
Best selection: United. Second best: Revolution

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:33 PM

Thanks again to all the aficionados.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
^all our river/ravine crossings bar the high level ate at the lowest possible point. Makes walking, cycling and braking your car in winter. Nightmare seems old versions of council were just as cheap as the current ones.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:05 AM

^edited

dont know if this site has a mobile version but posting on a phone is a disaster.
and how come autocorrect hasnt gotten any smarter in the decades its been around?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:36 PM
Urban Advocate

The unique geography of our wide and deep river valley makes crossing with transportation in any form difficult, but exceptionally so for human-powered options. Granted, those same geographic constraints give us the abundant green space that is expansive, magical and unique to our city all at the same time.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
The unique geography of our wide and deep river valley makes crossing with transportation in any form difficult, but exceptionally so for human-powered options. Granted, those same geographic constraints give us the abundant green space that is expansive, magical and unique to our city all at the same time.
So true.
After pedaling around all weekend and having spend a few years in Saskatoon...the River Valley in Saskatoon doesn't really exist within the "core" area, there isn't much "nature" but that said it's directly connected to the City and the Downtown and it's pretty easy to traverse. Somewhat similar to Calgary.
Edmonton on the other hand has this separation that affords so a disconnect form the urban enviro...but that is some ways is bad. You have to leave one world and enter another and where the two have blended, Edmonton has done a poor job finishing projects or fully integrating (Louise McKinney, Rossdale, Cloverbar, Riverdale/Dawson) at best it has nice quaint neighborhoods that are good for the residents and not really a place to visit.
That is slowly changing I hope and why I support the projects like the funicular (very well used this past weekend) and visions like Rossdale, the Gondola, the High Level Line park and even Alldritt tower. To bridge the urban and natural spaces with public amenities and spaces and to ease access to them for a broader public for a broader use within the Dawson to High Level areas which are already high disturbed yet still resiliently natural.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:53 PM

website set up for missing links in our bike infrastructure.

https://wikimapping.com/Edmonton-Bike-Plan.html

i added 23 ave between 111 street and 119 street. cant even imagine why this doesn't exist already. the entire rest of 23 ave is a bike path except this stretch. what in the fu....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton