HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:39 PM

Yikes. Not closing 66th until the very last stage?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:20 PM

Groat Road Bridges info session tomorrow
https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...d-bridges.aspx

Date: Tuesday November 29, 2016
Time: 4-8pm

I'll try to make it because I'd love to find out why they aren't building a new multi-use path on the west side of the river crossing.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:15 PM
Change is good

because there is no need for a multi-use path on the west side? There is one on the east side which is no where close to being at capacity. The only time its a problem is during the Heritage festival. I don't think the city needs to spend multi-millions to add a multi-use for a 3 day event. Even during the event the bridge multiuse is only really busy for a few of the hours of the day.

Much better things to spend money on ...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:19 PM
Community Guy

^concur... in full. Other priorities unless I a missing something here.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:25 PM
HVAC guru

Looks to me that all they're planning on doing is replacing some deck joints and the wear course, and improving access to the existing pedestrian crossing. Don't see anything about adding a pedestrian lane to the west side..

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:33 AM

Adding a multi-use path on the west side of Groat Bridge is not just for congestion during park events, but for improved accessibility. To get between Hawrelak Park and the existing Groat Road sidewalk, one has to navigate through that clusterfuck of an intersection on top of the Emily Murphy Park Road bridge, including an even narrower walkway.

Moreover, there is a path on the west side of Groat Road north of River Valley Road. Would it not make sense to extend this across the river? Would this not make for an improved bicycle route between the U of A and north of the river?

When the east side Low Level Bridge was revamped years ago, they replaced a narrow wooden sidewalk with a wide paved sidewalk. These bridge construction projects are the best opportunities to improve them, not just simply maintaining them.

I thought Edmonton wanted to improve bicycle and pedestrian access across the city, especially in the river valley? Why aren't they doing this here?

I agree that changes to the Groat/Victoria Park intersection aren't really necessary. But if they're going to do it anyway, do it properly and adhere to the multi-use principles being trotted out by council.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Adding a multi-use path on the west side of Groat Bridge is not just for congestion during park events, but for improved accessibility. To get between Hawrelak Park and the existing Groat Road sidewalk, one has to navigate through that clusterfuck of an intersection on top of the Emily Murphy Park Road bridge, including an even narrower walkway.
This. Every year I walk to Hawrelak a dozen times or more throughout the summer & it boggles the mind how terribly laid out the sidewalks are to get there from Oliver. It's inconvenient, cumbersome & more than a little dangerous.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:21 PM
Change is good

So instead of crossing at emily murphy park bridge, you would still have to mind your way around on the north side. I see no difference.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 3:43 PM
HVAC guru

You can take the stairs at the south end of the bridge down into Emily Murphy then take the multi-use trail around Mayfair to the park

Probably adds 10 minutes to the walk but it's a lot nicer than walking up Groat road

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:24 PM
Community Guy

^yup this and whether going to Heritage Days or for a ski, it is a very marginal difference in terms of time and effort given what the costs might be. That said, if they are doing it, great.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 5:33 PM

Or under the LRT bridge to Kinsmen then Emily Murphy. It's a great path.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:14 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:00 PM
HVAC guru

^ I was surprised at the schedule I saw. I may see a free flow Yellowhead before I leave this town yet!

Now to twin thru the park and get rid of the gates so that the trips home to BC are less slow and agrivating!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:13 PM
Community Guy

Such a critical piece of the puzzle for our city, but also a very long timeline.

Don`t twin the park, just a few more passing lanes.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 7:43 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ I was surprised at the schedule I saw. I may see a free flow Yellowhead before I leave this town yet!

Now to twin thru the park and get rid of the gates so that the trips home to BC are less slow and agrivating!
I think they should twin it through the Park as well. It doesn't need to be a wide ROW, 4 lanes separated by a concrete barrier like they do along portions of the Trans-Canada.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 8:28 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 8:35 PM

As for Hwy 16 through Jasper, one idea I like which likely won't fly:
A new Hwy 16 from Hinton to Jasper that follows the CN rail line, and make the current road a tourist-only road akin to Bow Valley Parkway. Only thing I'm not sure about with this notion is through Yellowhead Pass and Mt Robson Park since I'm not sure if twinning is doable through there but I doubt there's a better route nearby.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
What is happening at Fort Road and Wayne Gretzky drive - some sort of crossover road for Fort and Wayne Gretzky?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 5:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^I think it's called a diverging diamond interchange. They are currently building one in Calgary at MacLeod Trail and 162nd Ave. It's supposed to be superior for left turns but I'm not convinced it wont be chaos for the first bit.

Great news about Yellowhead becoming a freeway.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
From my perspective, the advantages of the Macleod/162 Ave DDI won't be fully apparent till Stoney opens in 2021. Till then, I don't feel like the west-south movement will be heavy enough to realize the full advantage and people will be asking why they didn't just build a normal partial cloverleaf or a diamond. In any event, it's bold for them to plan one on Yellowhead with no real precedent in Canada for how it might unfold, of course there's plenty of time to amend the plan before they dig in. Might I suggest they do not open a DDI in October so they can maximize the number of months the painted arrows will be visible before they're snow covered.

A DDI would be the perfect fit for Gateway/Calgary Tr and Ellerslie Rd, heavy left turn volumes both ways. They just built that bridge in 2000 or so though, no way it gets fixed now. Instead they just mailed it in and spent $200m on 41 Ave.
There are a lot of DDIs in the U.S. and the reviews seem to be very positive. Why would the ones in Calgary and Edmonton be any different? As long as they have good signage like the various DOTs have been using I don't see it being an issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton