HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 AM

Calgary in the Media

I noticed recently that Calgary is showing up a lot more in the media - top travel destination, top place to visit, best of this, best of that. I thought it might be good to have a general thread where we can post and discuss articles and media that reference Calgary.

I'll kick it off with this NYTimes article I came across online that talks about visiting:

In Calgary, Exploring the Cultural Side of 'Cowtown'

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:34 AM

They're saying low gas prices is boosting the tourism industry here, so we can probably expect more of these media mentions this year

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ke-in-spending

Honestly theres not much to see or do in Calgary. If I didnt live here I wouldnt take my kids on vacation here

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 12:37 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Other than the Stampede people likely don't come to see Calgary as the primary destination, but there is a lot of spillover from people stopping here on their way to see Banff/Waterton, etc.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 1:20 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwolf View Post
They're saying low gas prices is boosting the tourism industry here, so we can probably expect more of these media mentions this year

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ke-in-spending

Honestly theres not much to see or do in Calgary. If I didnt live here I wouldnt take my kids on vacation here
Is there an apostrophe shortage I haven't heard about?

There's plenty to see and do in Calgary- great restaurants, shopping, a city to discover. Since you live here you don't see it. I've had many visitors and they've never been bored and we always spend at least as much time in the city as in the mountains.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Is there an apostrophe shortage I haven't heard about?

There's plenty to see and do in Calgary- great restaurants, shopping, a city to discover. Since you live here you don't see it. I've had many visitors and they've never been bored and we always spend at least as much time in the city as in the mountains.
It is kind of like Singapore. Impressive built environment, but if you had seven days, better to spend 2 in Singapore, and 5 in Kuala Lumpur and the Malaysian rainforest. Calgary's nature reserve is a hill of grass. Yes - grass.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
It is kind of like Singapore. Impressive built environment, but if you had seven days, better to spend 2 in Singapore, and 5 in Kuala Lumpur and the Malaysian rainforest. Calgary's nature reserve is a hill of grass. Yes - grass.
I had a German friend over, first time in Canada after a few days in the Rockies and Vancouver. She was completely blown away by the scenery from Nose Hill in the middle of the such a large city, "nothing she has ever seen before."

The yellow grass and popular stands stood out to her more than the spectacular views of downtown did, never experience our autumn colours of yellow quite like this. She actually was more amazed by Calgary's landscape than Vancouver's. She said "Vancouver was is like Europe but with a few more mountains. Nothing special." (I disagree with this sentiment, but she said it with that honest and direct German way of describing things so I didn't argue).

She was from Munich - home of one of the best urban parks I can think of, the Englischer Garten - and she preferred Nose Hill because it was actually natural and had some ruggedness to it like a "park is supposed to be".

I disagree completely of course - I would take the Englisher Garten over Nose Hill any day - but it shows it is really is up to what someone's past experiences and interests are. People are drawn to places that are unlike where they are sometimes, even if that new place isn't somewhere people typically think would be interesting.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 12:59 AM

I'm happy with Nose Hill as long as it stays rugged, because it doesn't look like their is much mountain biking to be had in the Englisher Garten!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm happy with Nose Hill as long as it stays rugged, because it doesn't look like their is much mountain biking to be had in the Englisher Garten!
Oh I agree with you there. Perhaps we need a Nose Hill AND a Englischer Garten

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 6:40 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:10 PM
Master and Commander

You know Munich is very similar to Calgary in many ways.. One of them being the Chinook as Muncheners get the German version of these from the Alps.
I too agree Munich is leaps over Calgary but good on her to identify some things which we locals may never have considered, like nose hill..
MUC is relatively a flat city where YYC does have its share of hills and valleys offering up nice vantage points. The only elevated city shots i have seen of MUC is from their Olympiaturm or one of their many onion domed cathedrals.

Secondly, both cities hold each year the greatest outdoor show on earth!
Oktoberfest = 17 million visitors vs Stampede 1.1 million visitors. (though 10 day vs like 17 days)
Oktoberfest is the worlds largest beer festival and their midway is pure german engineering whose coaster caliber rivals that of theme parks, or West Ed Mall's Mindbender.
Beer tents there are a league on its own where our Cowboys or Nashville North can't match up to in terms of capacity and quality of booze. Though vibe and purposed themes are similar which related to our history.

There was another article mentioning Calgary (well a calgary based company) but was published in a rather negative light by the Wash. Post... Mind if I plug that in??
Don't want to be dissing my own city but it was kind of a shocking read.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post

There was another article mentioning Calgary (well a calgary based company) but was published in a rather negative light by the Wash. Post... Mind if I plug that in??
Don't want to be dissing my own city but it was kind of a shocking read.
People should be open to negative reviews as well as positive, that way we don't have our head in the cloud at all times.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 10:54 PM
Master and Commander

Here is the link I found the other day. This media attention puts Calgary on the radar in a very questionable position.
While not necessarily a negative article about Calgary or a Calgary company as I was over exaggerating but it certainly puts questions and suspicions into play of just what kind of shady business some of us are doing. I personally felt outraged and concerned when I discovered that a big company based in our city is helping North Korea advance in both economically and quite possibly militarily as well using Calgary made products which unfortunately has a wide variety of uses. Is this something we should be concerned about or should we just accept that it is all part of doing business, even if it is NK as before reading this article I didn't even know we had any kind of trade business with the hermit kingdom.
As a South Korean, this is really not good since the regime in DPRK is pure evil and their zealous strive to be a nuclear force under stiffening sanctions will enable them to make ingenious uses for whatever products they currently have in possession. In reality they may of unknowingly been doing biz with NK since that regime has a tendency to set up shadow companies in China/Malay etc where many seem to fall for it as nobody does background checks or not deep enough due dilligence.
This may open up a can of worms for discussion that can take away from this threads purpose, but I thought it needed to be shared so you guys can read it and see what your take is. For me personally, I don't like this one bit and nobody should ever be doing business with the North Korean Regime PERIOD!
Lastly, The article is just over a year old btw.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.668cab8474e2

The quote
"Inside the factory there sat dozens of huge boxes labeled Axeleron, a compound used for insulating cables that is made by Dow Chemical in Calgary, Canada. The boxes bore a production date of August 2014, before the current rounds of sanctions went into effect, although earlier measures banned the trade of “dual-use goods,” or products that have both civilian and military uses."

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:08 PM

Calgary’s Sled Island Festival Is For Those Who Still Love Live Music Discovery

http://uproxx.com/music/sled-island-...sic-discovery/

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
Here is the link I found the other day. This media attention puts Calgary on the radar in a very questionable position.
While not necessarily a negative article about Calgary or a Calgary company as I was over exaggerating but it certainly puts questions and suspicions into play of just what kind of shady business some of us are doing. I personally felt outraged and concerned when I discovered that a big company based in our city is helping North Korea advance in both economically and quite possibly militarily as well using Calgary made products which unfortunately has a wide variety of uses. Is this something we should be concerned about or should we just accept that it is all part of doing business, even if it is NK as before reading this article I didn't even know we had any kind of trade business with the hermit kingdom.
As a South Korean, this is really not good since the regime in DPRK is pure evil and their zealous strive to be a nuclear force under stiffening sanctions will enable them to make ingenious uses for whatever products they currently have in possession. In reality they may of unknowingly been doing biz with NK since that regime has a tendency to set up shadow companies in China/Malay etc where many seem to fall for it as nobody does background checks or not deep enough due dilligence.
This may open up a can of worms for discussion that can take away from this threads purpose, but I thought it needed to be shared so you guys can read it and see what your take is. For me personally, I don't like this one bit and nobody should ever be doing business with the North Korean Regime PERIOD!
Lastly, The article is just over a year old btw.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.668cab8474e2

The quote
"Inside the factory there sat dozens of huge boxes labeled Axeleron, a compound used for insulating cables that is made by Dow Chemical in Calgary, Canada. The boxes bore a production date of August 2014, before the current rounds of sanctions went into effect, although earlier measures banned the trade of “dual-use goods,” or products that have both civilian and military uses."
Doesn't seem like a big deal, Dow Chemicals has had their fair share of controversies, being a chemical company, I would think it's to be expected.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation