HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 6:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Personally I find myself listening to far more "new" (2000+) music these days than anything from my glory years. So if I had kids, I could totally see myself sharing my iPod with them.

Although what I do listen to might not be all the "popular" stuff these days, so I'd still be a crotchety old fart who listens to crappy music.

Much more amusing would be to show my kids Atari and NES games.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:32 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Personally I find myself listening to far more "new" (2000+) music these days than anything from my glory years. So if I had kids, I could totally see myself sharing my iPod with them.

Although what I do listen to might not be all the "popular" stuff these days, so I'd still be a crotchety old fart who listens to crappy music.

Much more amusing would be to show my kids Atari and NES games.
True to some extent. I don't mind Taylor Swift (she has a good voice) but I draw the line at the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana.

Speaking of Hannah Montana, did anyone catch the Simpsons a few episodes back where Lisa was trying to fit in with the 'cool' girls and tried to get into an Alaska Nebraska concert?

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas_inc View Post
That's what Facebook is for.
"Little_Atlas"
What a little Princess! She is gorgeous!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 2:43 PM
Watchin em grow

Ah you are all rookies. My wife and I were finally able to take a vacation just for us after raising 5 kids. The youngest will be 14 next month.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:44 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

We're going to be baby-proofing the condo this weekend. Littletime has started rolling a lot and is starting to squirm around a bit.

Any recommendations on a good place to get basic things like the electrical socket plugs and drawer catches? I've seen a pretty good selection at places like Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFHeadstone View Post
Ah you are all rookies. My wife and I were finally able to take a vacation just for us after raising 5 kids. The youngest will be 14 next month.
No kidding. It's been 9+ years since ours were born and my wife and I have not had even a single night away on our own, let alone any kind of vacation.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:58 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Rona has a bunch of stuff, Walmart, Sears. I don't know which one I'd reccommend. Those places are likely all relatively the same price.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:59 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
We're going to be baby-proofing the condo this weekend. Littletime has started rolling a lot and is starting to squirm around a bit.

Any recommendations on a good place to get basic things like the electrical socket plugs and drawer catches? I've seen a pretty good selection at places like Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart or someplace similar is probably your best bet. The stuff is cheap, but the real fancy stuff isn't worth the extra money IMHO. I'm glad we are well past that stage, the house looked like crap with all the outlet covers, doorknob covers etc. Even our fireplace mantle edge was covered in foam pipe insulation for years.

One word of (probably needless) caution. In your situation make sure you have a 100% foolproof way of locking the balcony door to keep Littletime safely inside your apartment.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
No kidding. It's been 9+ years since ours were born and my wife and I have not had even a single night away on our own, let alone any kind of vacation.
No family in town (or just babysitters in general)?

Then again, the whole point of having kids is to enjoy spending your life with them until they're 21, so at least you're nearly halfway through living the dream.

Don't worry, within 5 years you'll be complaining that the oldest never wants to be around you.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I quite enjoy 'Third and Bird' on Treehouse.
Yes. Third and Bird, Pocoyo and Bob the Builder are quite watchable...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 8:14 PM

Quote:

We found a multi-pack of cupboard catches, socket plugs and doorknob covers at Toys R' Us for $13... there's only one cupboard he can get into and we put the crappy stuff in there for him. You can probably find the same as Wally world... think it was "Safety First" brand.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 8:15 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
One word of (probably needless) caution. In your situation make sure you have a 100% foolproof way of locking the balcony door to keep Littletime safely inside your apartment.
Oh yeah, I have definitely been making sure to keep that door secured from Littletime. Unless they make automatic deploying baby parachutes!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 10:20 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
"I used to be with it. Then they changed what it was, now what I'm with isn't it."
Isn't that part of a Grandpa Abe Simpson quote?

Nice reference!

I think there was a bit more to it...

"I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and wierd. It'll happen to you."
-Abe Simpson

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:31 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Pumpkin carving time!

There is something familiar about that pumpkin face...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:56 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Too cute!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:26 PM
Hare Expert

That's a weird little chair you've got.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 11:33 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Too cute!
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
That's a weird little chair you've got.
Weird? Sure. But I think the proper description is "awesome".

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 4:13 AM

Quote:

If I recall correctly, the prices at Ikea seemed to be a lot better on this stuff. Selection may not be as big:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/16249/

Wal Mart is often out of stock on basic items. Seems like Toys R Us had the biggest selection of stuff. Though, if you're not pinching pennies, the specialty baby stores will probably be able to give you better advice on selecting products.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:48 AM

here's a question for you all.... i live in the beltline about 1.5 blocks from a Macs and Tim Hortons ( well honestly i live about 2 blocks from a bunch of macs and time hortons.. LOL ) and i have a 9.5yr old and a 7 year old... both street smart... would you let them go to the store by themselves??

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:57 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopysheep View Post
here's a question for you all.... i live in the beltline about 1.5 blocks from a Macs and Tim Hortons ( well honestly i live about 2 blocks from a bunch of macs and time hortons.. LOL ) and i have a 9.5yr old and a 7 year old... both street smart... would you let them go to the store by themselves??
Speaking as a childless monster, but as someone who understands statistics well - possibly. If they went together, I don't see why not, but 7 is a bit young to be wandering around alone (kids can get lost).

Contrary to popular belief the chance of anything actually happening to them is just about zero. They're far more likely to be hurt/killed while you're driving them around. Last stats I saw in terms of stranger abductions in Canada - 5 in a year. 5. In a country of 30 million. Hundreds if not thousands of kids get taken every year, but the number that actually get taken by strangers - 5. The rest are all by family/friends.

Hell, they're more likely to get struck by lightning (although the exact numbers for that escape me at the moment).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation