HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That south wall will be changing as it’ll have the stairway wrapping around it which should make it more interesting and dynamic.
Oh right haha the image is at the top of this page.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:24 AM

They started attaching the stairs on the south side of the building today.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 7:44 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 7:50 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:06 PM
Back from the dead

I know I'm in the minority here but that shit on the side looks like cheap siding to my eyes. It'll look even worse as the building ages.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 8:19 PM
the first stamp is free

re. exterior stairs: No sir, I don't like it.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:57 PM

I'm willing to wait until the stairs are done before casting judgment, but the early indications are not positive... it looks like a very odd and idiosyncratic configuration.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
re. exterior stairs: No sir, I don't like it.
Totally agree. Would be ok in southern US or Vancouver. Ice, snow, scary.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:26 PM

Wow open metal stairs, that’s horrendous. Imagine you’ll be able to see into them from the ground. What a hot mess.

It’s a good thing these are apartments and not condos, can’t imagine being duped into buying this junk. After seeing the inside of 62M, I would never purchase a condo by this firm without serious inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I know I'm in the minority here but that shit on the side looks like cheap siding to my eyes. It'll look even worse as the building ages.
I don’t think anyone here has said they like it. How come the city didn’t allow the building on Maryland to use tin siding (even made them redo it), but here on beautiful Waterfront in the historic Exchange it’s not only ok but considered modern and nice? Double standard for connected designers? Don’t like it.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
You are definitely not in the minority. The other new development coming down the street is also covered in the same.

Any word on the other building at the pump station? Has it started yet?

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 7:09 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You are definitely not in the minority. The other new development coming down the street is also covered in the same.

Any word on the other building at the pump station? Has it started yet?
I just walked by there yesterday, the phase 2 spot is still a gravel parking lot - hopefully it gets started soon!

Unrelated: The east exchange has really grown into something pretty impressive. I remember walking around there just after the waterfront buildings went up and there were still so many abandoned buildings in the area. The amount of restored buildings and life on the streets (well... life mid lockdown... still pretty impressive considering) is nice to see!

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Wow open metal stairs, that’s horrendous. Imagine you’ll be able to see into them from the ground. What a hot mess.
Plus isn't the space below supposed to be used for a patio or something? Maybe my memory is off but I thought the waterfront side of the pump house was going to be a CRU. Not the best view upwards if that's the case.

Quote:
I don’t think anyone here has said they like it. How come the city didn’t allow the building on Maryland to use tin siding (even made them redo it), but here on beautiful Waterfront in the historic Exchange it’s not only ok but considered modern and nice? Double standard for connected designers? Don’t like it.
I think the issue with the Maryland building was that they changed the siding material from the original proposal which was approved. Either way these giant sheds should not be allowed. The ridges in this siding will catch dust and look like shit. But is stucco any better really?

Perhaps this pump house site was such a bitch to redevelop that lenience was given by the city.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Unrelated: The east exchange has really grown into something pretty impressive. I remember walking around there just after the waterfront buildings went up and there were still so many abandoned buildings in the area. The amount of restored buildings and life on the streets (well... life mid lockdown... still pretty impressive considering) is nice to see!
Totally agree, the East Exchange is starting to live up to its potential. As a next step, it would be nice to see more shops and restaurants with a streetfront presence. Things have improved over the last decade but it feels like there's still a long way to go. It wouldn't really take much either. But still, very positive overall.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:34 PM
surely you agree with me

That stair is cool. Like the fire stairs on the old buildings.

I love this building. I wish it wasn’t in front of the pumping station but the building itself is really interesting.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 8:56 PM

Pumphouse update. Looks like they (smartly) decided against adding that monstrosity of an entrance awning at the ThinkShift entrance. It also def looks like it's just an elevator in the separate column thing.

Website has nothing yet but signs say 1 BR starting at $1400 and 2BR Penthouse at $2650 :| ...all utilities and internet included though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the update buzzg.

The stairs are a bit perplexing. Where do they reach ground level? Do you need to do laps around the building?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:57 PM

^ They start in the north corner lobby.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:37 AM

My sense is the stairs are there as a fire escape type requirement, not necessarily the main access to the suites which would be the elevator.

There was an army of washers, dryers and dishwashers on James Ave yesterday morning waiting to be hauled up to the suites.

And the top floor units are 2 story with private roof top patios - can you imagine the views?!?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:42 PM

Maybe they could've switched sides where the elevator tower and stairs are located. I just don't find the stairs appealing. My opinion I guess. Looks like they just tacked it onto the side as cheaply as possible. if they intent to ply homage to fire escapes on old buildings, well done.

Overall though, the building is decent. 2 level suites with rooftop patio is definitely cool.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Pumphouse update. Looks like they (smartly) decided against adding that monstrosity of an entrance awning at the ThinkShift entrance. It also def looks like it's just an elevator in the separate column thing.

Website has nothing yet but signs say 1 BR starting at $1400 and 2BR Penthouse at $2650 :| ...all utilities and internet included though.
It looks kinda cool and unique - but that's some serious rent for an OSB and 2x6 box on stilts with suicide stairs, fully exterior access and the entrance into your suite via the bedroom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan