HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:54 PM

If there are 7 projects ready to go, that is fantastic. Let's go.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:07 PM

Does anyone know if this development is still happening at Railside even though Skip is at TNS now? It looks really nice.

https://www.atlrg.ca/techoffice

Last edited by buzzg; Jun 24, 2020 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:21 PM

Does anyone know if anything is still happening at rail side? I thought there were supposed to be shovels in the ground last year. If things don't start happening soon, we'll have to wait another year until anything can happen.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:34 PM

I think it was discussed earlier in the thread. That skip building is not happening unless someone else would step up to be a tenant.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:41 PM

The Forks is still operating at less than 20% staffing. They had VPs doing gardening and bussing tables last week, and haven't posted on Instagram in 3 months lol. I have a feeling COVID will delay this again.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 5:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Does anyone know if anything is still happening at rail side? I thought there were supposed to be shovels in the ground last year. If things don't start happening soon, we'll have to wait another year until anything can happen.
My understanding in recent talks with developers is that everyone is waiting for the Forks to start doing site infrastructure. Wait...wait...wait....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:43 AM

Any updates on this?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:38 PM

I heard they were hoping to start geothermal after Labour Day, and be ready for shovels next summer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:20 PM

Thanks for the update

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:23 PM

No prob. The hold up is still on the city to officially give construction approval. The geothermal work is on the current Forks land (mostly under Festival Field), so they don't need to wait on that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I just had a dream this afternoon where I saw lots of wood-frame construction going on at the Forks "railside" area. In this dream, the north side Forks entrance was closed off and there were construction earth moving vehicles on the site.

So maybe this is a premonition dream that something is imminent.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:01 AM

I wish^^

But nothing is imminent.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:37 PM

Ya the geothermal is the only possible thing that could happen this year at this point. The city needs to get its shit together and move forward with this already. COVID should be pushing them to fast track this to keep development money flowing, yet they don't seem to be in any rush.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:19 PM
the first stamp is free

^ what's the rush? Did you see Manitoba's population figures this year? Demand for new construction is going to be soft for a little while. Unless there are some Federal $$ somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:11 AM

River Trail was extended north on the Red River to Bannatyne today, should be officially announced and open in the next couple days. This will kinda be The Forks' first official foray into waterfront development – I know they're trying to see how they can activate near Bannatyne, safely.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
River Trail was extended north on the Red River to Bannatyne today, should be officially announced and open in the next couple days. This will kinda be The Forks' first official foray into waterfront development – I know they're trying to see how they can activate near Bannatyne, safely.

Would love to see Alexander Docks along with Waterfront North activated and winterized...

Go Forks Go !!!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Would love to see Alexander Docks along with Waterfront North activated and winterized...

Go Forks Go !!!
Isn't there always a trouble spot where the ice doesn't form very well just past the confluence of the rivers (at the Provencher Bridge)?

The last could of years it seems like there's signage in that area warning of thin ice and visible pools of water most of the time.

Otherwise I find it very strange that they usually extend the trail south on the Red all the way to the St Vital Bridge, and not to the North to the exchange or even the Disraeli bridge.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:45 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Isn't there always a trouble spot where the ice doesn't form very well just past the confluence of the rivers (at the Provencher Bridge)?

The last could of years it seems like there's signage in that area warning of thin ice and visible pools of water most of the time.

Otherwise I find it very strange that they usually extend the trail south on the Red all the way to the St Vital Bridge, and not to the North to the exchange or even the Disraeli bridge.
That's also my understanding as to why they've never extended north.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:53 PM

They have extended north before, just not often. That is true about the trouble spot, but it all depends on the freezing cycle. One year 3 or 4 years ago the Assiniboine froze really choppy so the trail was only on the Red.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
For the benefit of anyone who reads this and then heads to Bannatyne with their skates -- like I did! -- it's only the walking trail that has been extended. The skating trail doesn't go north of the Forks, same as any other year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan