HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:17 AM

Whether you hate them or not, the Baydo Towers are going to make that photo of our downtown look quite a bit better from that angle.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 3:46 PM

I thought 16th floor was 17th the last two weeks. So glad to see I missed a floor and this building's got the equivalent of 4.5 more floors to go? We finally have a tower you can see far down College Drive!

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:44 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:53 PM

This was my first walk around the river with the leaves out and flowers in full bloom. I've been extremely pessimistic about downtown Saskatoon with all of the crime that's happened over the last 12 months, but seeing and smelling everything in full bloom, seeing all of the activity both construction wise and people wise running and walking dogs around the meewasin trail has really uplifted my soul about the future of Saskatoon. I love the pictures from the west side meewasin trail - the lower view really captures how beautiful our downtown actually is - but most fail to see as we never fully see it with it being so low elevation wise. I did elevate the photos quite a bit, but I promise the greenery around the downtown is close to the same right now - it is exceptionally beautiful downtown right now and we have a shifting south downtown that is the envy of a lot of cities. This photos remind me of a few larger cities I've visited over the last few years from around the world, but the one thing those cities have is a lot more concrete to make room for the increased amount of population on trails.

I'm excited for all of the things that are about to happen downtown - the new Official Community Plan that's going to hopefully push our larger landowners downtown to actually develop their parking lots, the "Feature Building" seen in the last photo, the development of a restaurant in the pumphouse (The Keg?, let's start that rumour), sales of the remaining parcels of land in the south downtown, the arena convention center, the exceptional library, and more. I've lived in Saskatoon for ten years now, and the next 5 years are probably going to see more construction than the last 15.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 9:41 PM

Thanks for the pictures, roryn1. Gorgeous.

Despite some real headwinds for the downtown (and entire city) to contend with, I share your optimism for the future. I think the fundamentals of downtown are solid and we're building from a position of relative strength.

Cheers.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:14 PM

What is this Feature Building supposed to be and where is it going to be located?

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:26 PM

If you look at roryn1's first picture, it's to be a structure built into the grassy spot of riverbank (with no other vegetation) located between the stairs and the winding pathway. The River Landing plan calls for a building with a main floor restaurant and outdoor terrace (level with Spadina Crescent) and small retail on the lower level opening up on to the river promenade with bike rental or something like that.

If I recall correctly, the City put out a call for proposals about 10 years ago when River Landing was in its infancy and got no interest. So I think they held off on it to let things build out and a critical mass of activity to be established (and we're now getting there). I'm still not sure if it will ever happen. The "Future Feature Building" sign that has been there for 10+ years is kind of silly.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:44 PM

Feature Building not likely to happen any time soon, so they might as well put up some interesting piece of public art that could be moved if the site were ever to be developed.

Maybe get some inspiration from these??

https://www.farandwide.com/s/iconic-...6b5b338adc455a

Last edited by prairieguy; May 29, 2020 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:53 PM

There’s currently only 41 condos available downtown Saskatoon right now - like 7 of them from No 1 River Landing. I’m surprised how good the market is doing right now - definitely a need for more condos to buy that Baydo’s project isn’t filling! Come on local developers pull the trigger!!

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 7:29 PM

those are beautiful pictures!!! thanks for posting

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 11:44 PM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 11:38 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:51 PM

From top of Broadway bridge. Its already quite a bit taller than the East Tower.

Sill the equivalent of three floors to go for the atrium (I think).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 1:59 AM

Great pic. I walked by yesterday and with the reflections on the other towers I got big city chills 🤟

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:33 AM

https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1554914549

This states that once both towers are complete, around 2,000 people will be living and working in the area. I assume that is based on full occupancy which the buildings currently don't have (though, not far off). Regardless, this will have a profound impact on the surrounding amenities. I suppose I've never considered the massive impact this development will have on the whole ecosystem. I love it.

Would be great to see whatever ends up on the site that was originally going to be River City 2 include a on the ground level. Just a very random thought.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
https://sl2-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/us...pdf?1554914549

This states that once both towers are complete, around 2,000 people will be living and working in the area. I assume that is based on full occupancy which the buildings currently don't have (though, not far off). Regardless, this will have a profound impact on the surrounding amenities. I suppose I've never considered the massive impact this development will have on the whole ecosystem. I love it.

Would be great to see whatever ends up on the site that was originally going to be River City 2 include a on the ground level. Just a very random thought.
It's a pleasant change to see that the constructed buildings actually look better than the renderings (IMHO). Not something we see very often.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:21 PM

Great shot from this past winter:

http://www.urbancapital.ca/9rfjfa29t...g8302b4v3ygo79

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:18 PM

That is an amazing photograph!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 1:58 AM

This thing is really starting to get up there... amazing how much higher it looks now than just a week ago. Can't wait until the last floor is up with the massive atrium. Enjoy it, folks! Not every day we get to watch the province's tallest tower go up like this. Hopefully we won't need to wait decades until the next one comes around. Though, I suspect we won't!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riders78 View Post
That is an amazing photograph!
It truly is, but they must have Photoshopped the crane out of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan