HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 6:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
When you look at that map and think of the IKEA and this airport development, the amount of work they have Kenaston doing seems totally unrealistic. You probably need an expanded Kenaston *and* the Bishop Grandin extension.
Yes I agree, the city's infrastructure will be seeing alot of upgrading in the coming years, including the extension of Kenaston to the Perimeter Hwy.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A decade later...

I didn't even know that this thread existed. Now we can just discuss Headingley Bypass (PTH 190) here, not in the Perimeter Highway thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
A decade later...

I didn't even know that this thread existed. Now we can just discuss Headingley Bypass (PTH 190) here, not in the Perimeter Highway thread.
The more things change the more Winnipeg’s roadways remain the same!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:39 AM
Back from the dead

These guys have been all about talking about what they're going to do without ever actually doing any of it since...well, forever. It's like a tease in that they will go as far as they can without committing a cent to something just to shut people up. It's always been that way. It took what, 50+ years for them to build rapid transit?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:07 PM
What could go wrong?

The next phase of dividing Hwy 1 through Headingley will go this year - this phase will be from the weigh scales back to Bridge Rd (PR 334). In my mind this is the trickiest phase because of all of the businesses located so close to the existing Hwy. There are still 2 more phases to complete the dividing of this roadway...Blumberg to Camp Manitou Rd, Camp Manitou Rd to the Perimeter.

The Bypass project is still in the books but in typical Manitoba fashion...who knows when it will happen.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The next phase of dividing Hwy 1 through Headingley will go this year - this phase will be from the weigh scales back to Bridge Rd (PR 334). In my mind this is the trickiest phase because of all of the businesses located so close to the existing Hwy. There are still 2 more phases to complete the dividing of this roadway...Blumberg to Camp Manitou Rd, Camp Manitou Rd to the Perimeter.

The Bypass project is still in the books but in typical Manitoba fashion...who knows when it will happen.
Through Headingley? You mean shoehorning the freeway through the current alignment? Hmm it means that we can't convert the Perimeter Highway & Portage Avenue interchange into anything other than replacing the loop from Perimeter Highway North to Portage Avenue West with a flyover then.

Actually, since I should live up to my name (Shoehorn Freeway c.a. 2017), let me see how this can be done.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Not a freeway, just creating a safer divided highway like the other portions currently existing through Headingley.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ah okay. Even then, I think that can still set the stage for shoehorning the freeway through there in the future. An interchange at Assiniboia Downs, another one by the amusement park, an overpass at Dodds Road - Manitoba Street and closure of all other access will do.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Ah okay. Even then, I think that can still set the stage for shoehorning the freeway through there in the future. An interchange at Assiniboia Downs, another one by the amusement park, an overpass at Dodds Road - Manitoba Street and closure of all other access will do.
There won't be a freeway through Headingley… the plan is to go around it. If you look at the interchange of 101/190, you can see that provisions are there for 190 to extend west to connect with the TCH near St. Francois Xavier and bypassing Headingley. Your guess is as good as mine as to when that will actually happen, though.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There won't be a freeway through Headingley… the plan is to go around it. If you look at the interchange of 101/190, you can see that provisions are there for 190 to extend west to connect with the TCH near St. Francois Xavier and bypassing Headingley.
Oh yea I remember. We've been talking about this every now and then. I'm just curious how feasible shoehorning is.
I get that a bypass can have a speed limit of 110 km/h whereas shoehorning will cap it at 100 km/h though. Also from what I've heard, RCMP Manitoba doesn't take it well when people go 20 km/h over.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Oh yea I remember. We've been talking about this every now and then. I'm just curious how feasible shoehorning is.
I get that a bypass can have a speed limit of 110 km/h whereas shoehorning will cap it at 100 km/h though. Also from what I've heard, RCMP Manitoba doesn't take it well when people go 20 km/h over.
With enough money you can shoehorn just about anything anywhere, but I wouldn't expect this province to break the bank on a project like that

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:01 PM

The current #1 will never be a freeway through Headingley. They've worked on creating a median, etc for a number of years now. It'll always be 50/60kmh. The bypass will be the freeway, maybe, someday.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Not a freeway, just creating a safer divided highway like the other portions currently existing through Headingley.
MI urban jobs are the worst.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
There are still 2 more phases to complete the dividing of this roadway...Blumberg to Camp Manitou Rd, Camp Manitou Rd to the Perimeter.
Isn't Camp Manitou to the Perimeter already divided, or is there more work to come on that section?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:59 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
They want to promote CentrePort so the logical and likely approach will be to extend 190 through to somewhere east of St-François-Xavier.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:17 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
They want to promote CentrePort so the logical and likely approach will be to extend 190 through to somewhere east of St-François-Xavier.
Makes me wonder if Headingley & St Francois, will see a building boom... if Headingley is sandwiched between a freeway and a highway, it might just become the equivalent of Stony Plain/Spruce Grove, west of Edmonton. Especially if industrial areas & residential start escaping Winnipeg over taxes, municipal fascism, and other "quality of life" factors. The old highway (Portage Avenue) could become a services and commercial hub, residential would push north of that to the new freeway/bypass, and whatever CentrePort doesn't soak in for industrial development - considering lack of space or lack of will to develop Winnipeg into cleaner and "smarter" industries - maybe it will set up in Headingley/Rosser, instead?

Also begs the question: can St. Francois Xavier densify more? And will there be any opposition to suburnanizing the hamlet? If this is done right, considering ex-urban growth outside the Perimeter including employment growth, Headingley and St. Francois Xavier could see alot of boosted development and growth, along with some tourism aspects?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 1:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now that you mentioned it, I can see why it isn’t built yet. Ditto for Deacon’s Corner Bypass on the southeast side of things.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Isn't Camp Manitou to the Perimeter already divided, or is there more work to come on that section?
They want it built with a median like the other stretches. There is a minimum distance they need to achieve.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The current #1 will never be a freeway through Headingley. They've worked on creating a median, etc for a number of years now. It'll always be 50/60kmh. The bypass will be the freeway, maybe, someday.
It's 70 km/h and likely to stay that way. The work of reducing access and separating traffic flows isn't so they can lower the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
If there are upgrades planned as Biff suggests it will likely be rolled in with the redesign of the Perimeter overpass of Portage Ave. Basically the existing merge/exit will be converted to a through lane and new lights will be put in place east and west of the overpass to allow traffic exiting the Perimeter to make left turns.

The City of Winnipeg bulk water filling station on the southwest corner was either permanently closed or undergoing major reconstruction. Also the access road at the southwest corner is to remain in place but with some realignment near Portage Ave, mostly moving the corner slightly south before the Portage Ave approach. It is being done to allow for a new alignment of the east to south merge lane, likely do to expanding from two through lanes to three through lanes and perhaps extending the merge area.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Makes me wonder if Headingley & St Francois, will see a building boom... if Headingley is sandwiched between a freeway and a highway, it might just become the equivalent of Stony Plain/Spruce Grove, west of Edmonton. Especially if industrial areas & residential start escaping Winnipeg over taxes, municipal fascism, and other "quality of life" factors. The old highway (Portage Avenue) could become a services and commercial hub, residential would push north of that to the new freeway/bypass, and whatever CentrePort doesn't soak in for industrial development - considering lack of space or lack of will to develop Winnipeg into cleaner and "smarter" industries - maybe it will set up in Headingley/Rosser, instead?

Also begs the question: can St. Francois Xavier densify more? And will there be any opposition to suburnanizing the hamlet? If this is done right, considering ex-urban growth outside the Perimeter including employment growth, Headingley and St. Francois Xavier could see alot of boosted development and growth, along with some tourism aspects?

Fascism. Seriously? I don’t get what is wrong with paying taxes, but it ain’t fascism. Wow, talk about biting the hand.And poor critical thinking. And zero thinking about the future, future opportunities, future customers. Just right here and now. Sounds like an albertan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan