HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The issue is properly timing the bottom. Obviously there will be some gains to be had long term, short term I don't think this is the worst of it yet. This virus hasn't peaked in the US and there will be further shut downs. The economy is not moving if people are at home not working and not spending money. We could also see a second wave in China once they start opening for business once again.
That is right, if you have access to capital it should be deployed in intervals over the next few weeks. It is not however critical to buy at the bottom at the risk of missing the boat. At this point with markets losing 30-40%, gaining that in itself is worth the temporary loss if it continues to dip further over the short term. This is where wealth is created, don't let this drop make you skiddish. Health related recessions tend to be much shorter lived then other types.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Fund managers keep a large resevoir of cash on hand for just this reason.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 1:22 PM

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 4:50 PM

I wonder what it will take to put a halt to hi-rise construction in Calgary. I was there last week and even though the Alberta economy is struggling, more tower cranes continue to pop up around downtown. It's driving me nuts! It's like they are addicted to these projects and can't stop even without having tenants lined up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:39 PM

This is a bit of a weird thing to ask here but is anyone aware of a vendor to access industrial grade N95 masks in bulk? The province of Manitoba is attempting to source these in large quantities but many typical vendors are unable to keep up with requirements. Since this is commonly used in construction I figured some people here might know of businesses that sell these masks. If you can, please send me a message with some vendors and possible contact information for these vendors.

Additional acceptable International Standards include:
• N95 (United States)
• FFP2 (Europe)
• KN95 (China)
• P2 (Australia/New Zealand)
• Korea 1st class (Korea)
• DS (Japan)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Just how thick is Coun. Vivian Santos. sometimes you keep your mouth shut and move on after her removal from the police board after failing a security check.

The more we hear the more we know why, which all seems lost on Santos!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:35 PM
What could go wrong?

I shook my head at that information last night as well. Personally knowing a drug dealer (not just a guy who had access to a joint either) and letting them drive your Benz would lead me to believe that you shouldn't be on the police board. She is losing credibility when she says that she and her husband didn't know that he was a drug dealer and have since severed all ties with the individual. I find that very hard to believe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Just how thick is Coun. Vivian Santos. sometimes you keep your mouth shut and move on after her removal from the police board after failing a security check.

The more we hear the more we know why, which all seems lost on Santos!
Regardless of her particular situation - the process has brought to light how the WPS has final say in who becomes a member of this oversight Board (via the secretive security checks). That in itself is problematic, and if nothing else, it should be changed to ensure that an independent 3rd party (RCMP) conducts the security checks.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Regardless of her particular situation - the process has brought to light how the WPS has final say in who becomes a member of this oversight Board (via the secretive security checks). That in itself is problematic, and if nothing else, it should be changed to ensure that an independent 3rd party (RCMP) conducts the security checks.
I agree with you here^^^
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I shook my head at that information last night as well. Personally knowing a drug dealer (not just a guy who had access to a joint either) and letting them drive your Benz would lead me to believe that you shouldn't be on the police board. She is losing credibility when she says that she and her husband didn't know that he was a drug dealer and have since severed all ties with the individual. I find that very hard to believe.
She let the drug dealer drive her white Benz, he got stopped, so she then lends another of her vehicles to the said drug dealer but yeah he was just an acquaintance according to her, doesn't everyone lend out their vehicles to people they barely know?!

Just how dumb does Santos think Winnipeg citizens are, but we do know she obviously isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer!

The WPS played nice with her after her denial of a spot on the police board, stupidly she felt the need to say too much afterwards!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
That is fair but I thought it was pretty funny how the woke Twitter acab crowd rushed to Santos' defence since it turned out that there was more than a little substance to what the police were saying. Sure this situation has exposed some of the flaws in the process, but only someone totally naïve or a liar could say that she has been unfairly targeted here. I expect that she will follow rrskylar's advice and walk away from this instead of having her affairs put in the public spotlight.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:48 AM
the first stamp is free

^ if the worst of it is that her good friend is a drug dealer, then meh.

If her security clearance denial is based on that scenario, and it appears to have been somewhat known prior, she really has nothing personally to want to hide, and honestly, yes by all rights she should be free to argue her case to an independent 3rd party.

Quite frankly, sometimes having the perspective of the other side of the law is something that would be of benefit to this Board, not a hindrance. Especially if if the person in question has a clean record.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

If her security clearance denial is based on that scenario, and it appears to have been somewhat known prior, she really has nothing personally to want to hide, and honestly, yes by all rights she should be free to argue her case to an independent 3rd party.

Quite frankly, sometimes having the perspective of the other side of the law is something that would be of benefit to this Board, not a hindrance. Especially if if the person in question has a clean record.
agreed.

theres to many jaided people in the system

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:

Lots of people who have no record themselves, know friends or family who have been in trouble with the law. That's especially true for poor and disadvantaged people. Those are also the exact demographic the police board is supposed to ensure are not mistreated by police, so they should have representation on the board. Is the expectation that anyone who has a friend or family member who's been in trouble before, completely break ties with that person instead of trying to help them? Because that's only going to make their situation worse and lead to more crime......

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Lots of people who have no record themselves, know friends or family who have been in trouble with the law. That's especially true for poor and disadvantaged people. Those are also the exact demographic the police board is supposed to ensure are not mistreated by police, so they should have representation on the board. Is the expectation that anyone who has a friend or family member who's been in trouble before, completely break ties with that person instead of trying to help them? Because that's only going to make their situation worse and lead to more crime......
The police source gave the impression that this was not just some situation where she happened to have a second cousin with a grow op or something like that. I don't think the police would do something like this lightly and I think there is an onus on Santos to clear the air. I think it's odd that the instinct of many here is to act like the police have some sort of vendetta against her.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:24 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I don't think there is any sort of vendetta. However the WPS can't continue to be left in the position to approve or deny candidates to a Board who has some degree of oversight over the WPS.

To me, that is the situation that has been brought to light here, Santos' appropriateness of a candidate notwithstanding.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This isn't a poor or disadvantaged person she knows. It is a drug trafficker. Not just a drug dealer but someone who distributes drugs to drug dealers. I would imagine they know exactly what they are doing and have no intention of quitting as I'm sure it is a very lucrative profession. This is not a small time, oops I made a mistake type of criminal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:04 PM

Reduced school zones

So this little gem is on Elgin Avenue. A school zone where the school in question closed in 1980. A full 40 years ago.

I'd previously posted pictures of its recent reconstruction for an upcoming centralized ambulatory care centre here in Winnipeg.

I'd definitely contest it if I got a ticket here.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

contact ur city councler and if nessary make a speach on it at a councle meeting

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:28 PM

That school zone sign isn’t much different than the “construction” zone set up on the floodway bridge on highway 59 North. Never was it ever a construction zone. How our minister of transport thinks this is acceptable is beyond me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan