HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I'm less impressed than I used to be. When my wife was looking at getting a car, we looked at both Kia and Hyundai as options.

The Hyundais were pretty disappointing in person. While they are miles away from where they used to be, to me the build quality still feels cheapish. They seem to be put together well enough, but I got the feeling that they are using Walmart-level materials that look good for a couple of years and then just fade. The metal on the cars felt like it was paper thin. It wouldn't take a very powerful hailstorm for it to get destroyed.

Drove a couple of the cars as well, and they felt soft and squishy and just really generic. Great for the "cars are just appliances to get me to work and back" crowd, but other than that....no soul.

Kia we had a better experience, they looked better (much better styled....thanks to formed Audi guy Peter Schreyer), and seemed to have a little more soul. Still felt the same thing about the driving and build quality though. But at least they looked great.
You've done more investigation than I - I've not driven, just seen and read. The Optima looks very nice and on paper seems good value. If you compare it with other like priced vehicles I'd think it would do very well. The Genesis also has impressive numbers for the dollars. The Genesis with the optional motor destroys a BMW 335i, and with a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, can't be ignored.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Somewhat of a tangential item, but related to cars. I mentioned that we have two vehicles - mine a little fancier than my spouses. The observation is that people are actually nicer on the road when I'm driving my larger, fancier car, but if I'm driving my wife's more modest vehicle, people cut me off and have no or little respect. In the fancier car, people will actively slow down even when I'm supposed to yield. In the more modest vehicle, I've got to run the gauntlet. When I see people favouring me when in my own vehicle, it actually makes me feel a bit sad - might even be a reflection on how the world works. Anyone else have these types of experiences / observations when driving different vehicles?
I've found a huge difference in other drivers' behaviour depending on what I'm driving but based entirely on size. In sub-compacts other drivers tend to push me around and seem to consider a turn signal (when changing lanes or merging) as an invitation to hammer on their gas; in midsize cars it's better; in trucks and SUVs they tend to make room; in large cargo trucks they keep back and a turn signal never seems to elicit acceleration on their part.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
You've done more investigation than I - I've not driven, just seen and read. The Optima looks very nice and on paper seems good value. If you compare it with other like priced vehicles I'd think it would do very well. The Genesis also has impressive numbers for the dollars. The Genesis with the optional motor destroys a BMW 335i, and with a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, can't be ignored.
Yeah, the Optima definitely looks great. Best looking sedan in it's class imo.
The problem with Huyndai and Kia is how they drive though....they're kind of soft and squishy and have average handling. They are a great value and a solid buy for most people, but I'm not sure if they are necessarily great cars just yet for enthusiasts though.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 3:18 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Yeah, the Optima definitely looks great. Best looking sedan in it's class imo.
The problem with Huyndai and Kia is how they drive though....they're kind of soft and squishy and have average handling. They are a great value and a solid buy for most people, but I'm not sure if they are necessarily great cars just yet for enthusiasts though.
The steering never seems quite right in Hyundai/Kia front drive cars. I feel like I always have to correct the wheel. I like the looks of the Optima better than the Sonata.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
The steering never seems quite right in Hyundai/Kia front drive cars. I feel like I always have to correct the wheel. I like the looks of the Optima better than the Sonata.
What do you mean correct the wheel? I haven't driven either much(if at all) but are you referring to torque delivery or alignment? I have seen many a Hyundai wear unevenly on the inside edge

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:05 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
What do you mean correct the wheel? I haven't driven either much(if at all) but are you referring to torque delivery or alignment? I have seen many a Hyundai wear unevenly on the inside edge
I believe (but not sure) he's referring to an off centre feel of the steering. Jimby, am I right?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:08 AM
Great White Norf

and the looks of the Kia Optima are top notch. love the black roof too!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:26 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
I believe (but not sure) he's referring to an off centre feel of the steering. Jimby, am I right?
Sorry I was out all day. I have never owned a Hyundai but I have driven Elantras, a Sonata, and a Santa Fe and have heard that the Optima has a similar feel to the steering.
The Santa Fe I didn't like because the centre console was in the way of my right leg and I had to sit with my legs together which the boys weren't happy about. It felt really cramped for driving. The friend who owned the Santa Fe rolled it on an icy Deerfoot on-ramp so no more Santa Fe for me to drive.

Maybe Car and Driver can articulate it better than me, they call it self-centering of the steering wheel.

from Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ng-term-review

"But the Sonata’s biggest blunder is something we first noticed right after the car arrived. At speeds above 40 mph, the swoopy sedan’s path mimics its styling, eschewing a straight line for one decidedly more curved—specifically, the car pulls hard to the left. In a related issue, we noticed the steering wheel does not self-center. Initially, our dealer replaced the left-front strut and performed an alignment (both under warranty), but that didn’t cure the problem. After nearly 6000 miles, the car went back in and again had the same strut replaced with what we were told was an updated part. The Sonata had another alignment at that service—again, we were not charged—but still our car pulled to the left. Hoping the third time would be the charm, we took it back to the dealership at 8600 miles, where Hyundai engineers were waiting to examine the car. This time, both front struts were replaced, the car was aligned, and a field engineer drove it for 30 miles to verify the repair. Unfortunately, three hasn’t proved to be the magic number, and we’re still experiencing some pulling and self-centering problems. Various websites and owner forums tell us this issue isn’t isolated."

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry I was out all day. I have never owned a Hyundai but I have driven Elantras, a Sonata, and a Santa Fe and have heard that the Optima has a similar feel to the steering.
The Santa Fe I didn't like because the centre console was in the way of my right leg and I had to sit with my legs together which the boys weren't happy about. It felt really cramped for driving. The friend who owned the Santa Fe rolled it on an icy Deerfoot on-ramp so no more Santa Fe for me to drive.

Maybe Car and Driver can articulate it better than me, they call it self-centering of the steering wheel.

from Car and Driver:

"But the Sonata’s biggest blunder is something we first noticed right after the car arrived. At speeds above 40 mph, the swoopy sedan’s path mimics its styling, eschewing a straight line for one decidedly more curved—specifically, the car pulls hard to the left. In a related issue, we noticed the steering wheel does not self-center. Initially, our dealer replaced the left-front strut and performed an alignment (both under warranty), but that didn’t cure the problem. After nearly 6000 miles, the car went back in and again had the same strut replaced with what we were told was an updated part. The Sonata had another alignment at that service—again, we were not charged—but still our car pulled to the left. Hoping the third time would be the charm, we took it back to the dealership at 8600 miles, where Hyundai engineers were waiting to examine the car. This time, both front struts were replaced, the car was aligned, and a field engineer drove it for 30 miles to verify the repair. Unfortunately, three hasn’t proved to be the magic number, and we’re still experiencing some pulling and self-centering problems. Various websites and owner forums tell us this issue isn’t isolated."
Good to know. Not quite a drivers car. Maybe they'll fix this in the next rendition. They've done so well on a number of fronts that this would be a shame for them to fail on.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:

from Car and Driver:

Thats what I was referring to, it is odd because I see soo many hyundai's coming into my shop with uneven tires. when they are aligned it is often out, even after a relative short period of time.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
What is the police interpretation of "reasonable". Let's say dry sunny day, no cars, divided highway, no other car on the road, and you with a capable car. What would they let you do? Would they really let me go if I was testing my top speed?
What I heard was that if it was under 100mph you were fine. Above 100mph and it was a dangerous driving ticket. Never tested that theory myself. Didn't have a chance before they changed to 75.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, it is very flaky. It's like it won't update and all the cars will disappear. Have to close and open the app a few times to get it working again. I hope they get it updated to eliminate that problem. When it does work it is excellent.
I spoke to the Car2GO folks at Taste of Calgary and they're aware that their app sucks and are hoping for a fix fairly soon. On a positive note, I managed to win 40 minutes of rental time. So far my Car2Go hasn't cost me a penny as I managed to win 55 minutes at Inglewood's Sunfest.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:44 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I spoke to the Car2GO folks at Taste of Calgary and they're aware that their app sucks and are hoping for a fix fairly soon. On a positive note, I managed to win 40 minutes of rental time. So far my Car2Go hasn't cost me a penny as I managed to win 55 minutes at Inglewood's Sunfest.
They just released a map on their facebook page, looks to work much better than the app version. Plus it shows parking lots that you can use for free.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
They just released a map on their facebook page, looks to work much better than the app version. Plus it shows parking lots that you can use for free.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:28 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I've noticed the map on the nav system now shows the zone boundaries where you can end a rental, although that said, even though it now shows the north boundary ending at about 17 1/2 ave north, I tried to end on 17th ave north, and at about 16.5 ave, and it didn't let me do either, but it did before the map change.. odd.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This came up on the Top Gear page today:
Video Link

DROOOOOOOL!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
Round Head

Aston's - damn they are beautiful cars.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:00 AM
City of Blinding Lights

that Vantage is just soo pretty. If it makes Clarkson gush it must be awesome!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
that Vantage is just soo pretty. If it makes Clarkson gush it must be British!
There, fixed.

Astons are really pretty cars though... I once saw a DB4GT Zegato in person and it was one of the most beautiful objects I've ever seen.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:30 PM
Great White Norf

speaking of Aston Martins

This beauty was parked on my street a month or so back (worth more than probably ever other car on the block put together )

photo by ME

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation