HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
With our expansive clay soil in Regina, it doesn't make sense to build with a basement. I'm hoping to start construction of a fourplex spring 2017 using screw piles, and having a heated crawlspace.

There are too many houses here with failing foundations, it just doesn't make sense to continue building the way we do.
While I agree that Regina has terrible soil conditions, I'd still build a basement for a house. The space that a basement provides is invaluable to me and those purchasing homes.

A properly engineered basement with piles and proper drainage/backfill will last a good long time.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:10 AM

There are areas of Regina where basements consistently have issues (see Whitmore Swamp), but a lot of areas do not have issues. I think it's a generalization that basements are a bad idea here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
While I agree that Regina has terrible soil conditions, I'd still build a basement for a house. The space that a basement provides is invaluable to me and those purchasing homes.

A properly engineered basement with piles and proper drainage/backfill will last a good long time.
Agreed. The home at 13 Leopold is being constructed with piles. They poured roughly 10 of them, ~15 feet deep. Including the depth of the basement they will go down about 25 feet from ground level.

Also, the aerial perspective of the property is deceiving. What's shown in that picture is the footings which are about 10 feet below ground level. They will then pour basement walls on top of the footings to bring the basement up to ground level.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Agreed. The home at 13 Leopold is being constructed with piles. They poured roughly 10 of them, ~15 feet deep. Including the depth of the basement they will go down about 25 feet from ground level.

Also, the aerial perspective of the property is deceiving. What's shown in that picture is the footings which are about 10 feet below ground level. They will then pour basement walls on top of the footings to bring the basement up to ground level.
The footprint of the foundation looks quite small. Given all the expense and hastle they have gone through I would have thought they were building a bigger house.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Ripplinger Homes is advertising that they are building both of the new prominent Crescent area homes.

(13 Leopold Cres and 36 Angus Cres)
the house next to 36 Angus is hideous.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/36+...0e6d79!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
the house next to 36 Angus is hideous.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/36+...0e6d79!6m1!1e1
What? You don't like the masterpiece at the back?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Are screw piles the answer?? I'm not an expert on the subject, but have heard numerous things about not using them. Something about the screw going through the clay can cause issues with capacity. As in the screw just chews up the soil and you really have nothing supporting the load.
A 12" screw pile will support the same amount as a 12" concrete pile, they are significantly cheaper, the top is the same as a telepost, so they provide adjustability if there is movement. I have used screw piles on the last few projects that I have done, and at under $300 a piece, they cost less and do the same job.

Clay soil moves, concrete is very rigid and cannot take some of those stresses. IMO, there is no reason to fight the movement,

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
What? You don't like the masterpiece at the back?
Who lives there? Peter Parker?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 11:36 PM

Lakeview Infill

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/777/3...05db2515_b.jpg

Hi all,

New to the forum but have been a reader for years. Thought I'd share the project I'm doing on 2800 block Cameron Street. Would love to hear what you all think. Building on spec and can sell at all stages of construction. Listed on MLS.

Cheers,

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:27 AM

Independently, I like the house design. Having two of the same house side by side is quite ugly. You could change up finishes, window designs and sizes, massing. As is, it is quite the ugly development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCDevelopment View Post

Hi all,

New to the forum but have been a reader for years. Thought I'd share the project I'm doing on 2800 block Cameron Street. Would love to hear what you all think. Building on spec and can sell at all stages of construction. Listed on MLS.

Cheers,

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 12:16 PM

Nope

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Feb 9, 2017 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I have yet to see a modern box that I like. And they don't fit the neighborhood at all. What's the point of infill if it's not increasing density? Stucco is one of the cheapest and kitschiest materials available and no one has pulled it off yet.

Thankfully the city is banning flat roofs on infill.
And that's why we don't let the public dictate architecture. Otherwise we'll be stuck pretending that neo-Victorian pastiche is worthy of discussion.

No one has pulled off stucco? LOL!

The city is not banning flat roofs. And those houses don't have flat roofs, only the appearances of it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I have yet to see a modern box that I like. And they don't fit the neighborhood at all. What's the point of infill if it's not increasing density? Stucco is one of the cheapest and kitschiest materials available and no one has pulled it off yet.

Thankfully the city is banning flat roofs on infill.
Some of the flat-roof infills are fantastic and mix in fine IMO. There are examples of cheap looking poor designs in both traditional and modern styles. Stucco is the same. Some is crap, some is great.

I personally have a soft spot for flat roof.s I grew up in a mid-century modern home with one.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,
I think they look great. From what I see on Streetview they are replacing a single tiny house that I assume was not in great shape. There are some people that will never appreciate this style, but they should be a hit with the younger, upwardly mobile, demographic. I do agree with Someguy that you should try to differentiate them a bit more to try to get away from the mirror image thing. I realize this is a cost issue though. People want affordable homes but expect everything to be unique.

Last edited by Stormer; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,
I like the design of these two homes. They are an improvement over some of the rather dumpy looking homes on that same block.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

We drove past the new house at 13 Leopold this morning. (Sorry, didn't have my camera with me.) It is quite a big house. That lot didn't seem that big with the old house there. It'll be interesting to see how it looks once the fence goes down to see where the property line is and how much space there actually is around it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:54 PM

Does anyone know off hand why Padwick Road in Harbour Landing hasn't completed its full loop?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Does anyone know off hand why Padwick Road in Harbour Landing hasn't completed its full loop?
Well the whole loop is complete, but I assume you mean to the south.

It isn't owned by Dream and it being developed by a church.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan