HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:47 PM

According to the Telegram. Panago opening back up in September

Source: http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...tember-224739/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Chilly Willy’s is gone now too isn’t it. Prob not the best name for a pizza place. Lol.
Yep, sadly. They were a staple of Mt. Pearl growing up. Amazing milkshakes and exceptional slices.

I'd wager the owners retired and no buyers, which is odd because unless there's a needs up the road or something (I don't venture into mt. pearl too much anymore) that location was very exclusive. Relatively easy to get on and off the lot, centralized.

Oh well.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:42 AM

I'd recommend Chinched Bistro for the splurge over Mallard based on our experiences. Shamrock City Pub for local music and pub food. Erin's Pub for a traditional Irish music session early on a Fri or Sat night. Rocket Bakery for snacks and treats. Dildo Dory Grill has some great moose dishes and the Baccalieu trail is great. I'd go Avondale going north and come back on the Dildo side and don't miss Grates Cove. Great spot for seeing whales and icebergs.

Last edited by cowolter; Jul 17, 2018 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
According to the Telegram. Panago opening back up in September

Source: http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...tember-224739/
"the store is temporarily closed temporarily"

Hmm.. interesting.

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
"the store is temporarily closed temporarily"

Hmm.. interesting.

Ron.
Remains Viable For who exactly ? The Franchise ? Definitely not viable for the Franchisee, because this store was empty ALL THE TIME !!!
Obviously it was sold because she found some Sucker to take her headache off her hands. I feel sorry for the new person, because once they go through all their "Training" , they will quickly realize why the store was sold in the first place.
Best of luck to them, but I personally don't think they stand a chance.

Maybe their sales will be Ok when they " temporarily Open temporarily ", but in the long run, I smell trouble coming !

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:23 PM

This is unconfirmed, but I heard that an Olive Garden will be going into the old Christmas Warehouse building that's currently being renovated up on Kenmount/Kelsey intersection.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
This is unconfirmed, but I heard that an Olive Garden will be going into the old Christmas Warehouse building that's currently being renovated up on Kenmount/Kelsey intersection.
Skeptical. I feel like Olive Garden would be more interested in entering the Toronto market before the St. John's market.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Skeptical. I feel like Olive Garden would be more interested in entering the Toronto market before the St. John's market.
Hmm... I didn't realize Olive Garden had very little presence in Canada. Well, if it isn't hopefully something different will be going there. I really don't think we need another Tim Hortons or Dollarama!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 4:32 PM

I believe Olive Garden were very opposed to the seal hunt.. or maybe that was red lobster.. I don't recall who exactly, but one of them was and that's why we'd never see their franchise here.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 5:30 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Olive Garden was positioned to move into Canada a few years ago I had read. I forget the reasons why not, and maybe it is for the reasons above. I remember it being for financial reasons rather than culture.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Olive Garden was positioned to move into Canada a few years ago I had read. I forget the reasons why not, and maybe it is for the reasons above. I remember it being for financial reasons rather than culture.
There's an Olive Garden in Langley, BC.. and a number of locations in Alberta. They do have a presence in Canada and have been here for quite some time.

As for entering the Toronto market as someone mentioned - they were there already. All locations closed.

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:12 AM

Rocket Bakery is opening a new location in Churchill Square, next to Alpine Country Lodge, named Rocket-To-Go.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Does anyone have any news on this place? I saw it the other day. Its says opening early 2018. It is located in the plaza on Portugal Cove Rd/Newfoundland Drive.

This place is open!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrover View Post
This place is open!
D'Arcy Broderick and his wife I believe own and run it, from what I've heard, it's not a bad place- kind of like subway, make your own nachos. Haven't went in yet!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 12:33 PM

Wife and I headed to St. John's for 5 days in the middle of this month. Your top 10 places to eat downtown? Probably a mix of lunch/dinner. We're doing our best to hit the highlights; I haven't been to the city since I was 16 (30 years ago) and my wife has never been. We're staying at the Sheraton and are pretty fit so walking around isn't an issue, even with the hills.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Wife and I headed to St. John's for 5 days in the middle of this month. Your top 10 places to eat downtown? Probably a mix of lunch/dinner. We're doing our best to hit the highlights; I haven't been to the city since I was 16 (30 years ago) and my wife has never been. We're staying at the Sheraton and are pretty fit so walking around isn't an issue, even with the hills.
SHH could probably give a pretty extensive list of places to eat, but I'll throw in a few out there.

Check out Chinched for sure. You can either go for some tapas, or eat from their full menu; either is excellent.

If money is no concern, see if you can get into Raymonds (it may be hard on short notice), though if you don't feel like spending 350 bucks on a meal for two, check out Merchant Tavern. It's owned by the Raymond's crew, but is more affordable (but still excellent).

Sun Sushi is some of the best sushi I've ever eaten. Worth checking out if that's your thing.

Go to either Celtic Hearth or Duke of Duckworth for some traditional pub grub, or if you'd like slightly higher quality pub food, check out Yellowbelly Brewery for some decent food (plus beer!)

Mallard Cottage was always another must-eat place, though I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from them as of late. I doubt you would be able to get a table there anyway without booking months in advance, but if you're looking for a place to just sit down, have a few drinks, and eat some small grilled finger foods, their beer garden is worth spending an afternoon in.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:

Mallard Cottage was always another must-eat place, though I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from them as of late. I doubt you would be able to get a table there anyway without booking months in advance, but if you're looking for a place to just sit down, have a few drinks, and eat some small grilled finger foods, their beer garden is worth spending an afternoon in.
Mallard for brunch is excellent. Mallard for evening dining is a bit of a crapshoot. The menu changes every single day and they like to do themes (like almost everything on the menu is tuna something, or pork something) so if you have food allergies or sensitivities, it can be tricky to navigate. But for brunch?? Definitely go.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Mallard for brunch is excellent. Mallard for evening dining is a bit of a crapshoot. The menu changes every single day and they like to do themes (like almost everything on the menu is tuna something, or pork something) so if you have food allergies or sensitivities, it can be tricky to navigate. But for brunch?? Definitely go.
I've heard negative reviews of the brunch recently so I'm hesitant to suggest it. I'm sure it won't be inedible, but there could be better options that are more of a sure hit.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
With ONLY five days this was a challenge. Limiting it to downtown helps. Here is what I would recommend.

Breakfast / Brunch
Rocket Bakery - Coffee and pastries
Blue on Water - Full breakfast
Bagel Cafe - Very full breakfast

Lunch
Leos - best trad Fish & Chips
Greensleeves - great for wings/beer. (Sundance is good for this too)
Chinched Bistro - tapas etc.
Piatto - thin crust wood fire pizza and wine.
Merchant Tavern - just good food.

Supper
Raymonds - best resto in Canada. Do the wine pairing. You may not get a revervation though.
Basho - Sushi as good as Nobu. Steak is great too.
India Gate - I haven't found a better indian resto in my travels. Butter chicken is legendary
Saltwater - Always great seafood, especially during lobster season
Mallard Cottage - sunday's tasting menu will have you eating everything from seal to cod to moose and caribou. it's an experience.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
I've heard negative reviews of the brunch recently so I'm hesitant to suggest it. I'm sure it won't be inedible, but there could be better options that are more of a sure hit.
That’s unfortunate - I was there a few weeks ago and it was delicious as usual. The only bad meals I’ve had there were during dinner service. I’d personally still recommend for brunch, but to each their own.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's