HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:09 PM
BANNED

/brininstool and lynch
1620 S MICHIGAN
CHICAGO USA

Originally planned as two independent twelve story structures, this building shares a common core that functions as a bridge joining the two. The north structure is perpendicular to the street to offer a vertical contrast with the horizontally oriented south structure. Its perpendicular orientation also maximizes the north structure’s views of the Loop and the surrounding outdoor living spaces.
The south structure aligns with the sidewalk and the principal massing on Michigan Avenue. Its varied insets become outdoor living spaces that humanize the structure’s monumental scale. A two story base common to both structures establishes a cohesive retail and residential streetscape. Translucent glazing encloses the additional second level parking, while an articulated metal siding systems conceals the building’s ventilation system.

Materials: Architectural concrete, aluminum window-wall and storefront, clear and translucent glass, pre-finished aluminum composite panels, pre-finished metal panels, clear anodized aluminum grilles.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; May 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 7:05 PM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

I don't really see how this qualify as "an example of progressive architecture".

Perhaps it has something to do with the engineering (that I was too lazy to read about), but that building looks bland compared to most buildings going up in, say, Copenhagen/Malmö right now.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 11:30 PM
if I sang out of tune

its a beautiful example of modernism. Nothing progressive about it, all its ideas are sourced from other, years earlier.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't really see how this qualify as "an example of progressive architecture"
well, it's beautiful for one. and it's extremely progressive compared to the crap that has become the norm out here in chicago.

but on a more serious note, i see stuff like this as great examples of this rebirth of modernism that we've seen since the start of the new century. it is something that the post-modern era help to bring about (howover painful the process was though). that is, the post-modern era help to break modernism out of its rut, and it is now in a period of rebirth. and i believe this is that.

i don't know. maybe this falls under the 'great buildings' part of the title!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:05 AM
low life in a tall place

muppet & Adrian
Fair enough!

Two photos of the Turning Torso from my Flickr stream;

r

There is a lot of progressive architecture in the area of Malmö where the Turning Torso is located. I might head out there today to shoot some pictures.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:14 AM
low life in a tall place

What do you think of this rather unknown building in Shanghai? Hardly "progressive" perhaps, but I think it is pretty nice.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 10:17 AM
low life in a tall place

Probably has been posted before in the thread, but going through my Flickr stream I decided to post these shots of Nouvel's Torre Agbar.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 11:39 PM
fried white rice

^^^
It's incredible to see something like this being built in Europe (along with TT and Swiss Re, I would say)... we've become too "practical" and "efficient" and forgot about the sense of beauty and sexiness in architecture of significant buildings... which of course may look like a good thing (why waste money and space?) but on the other hand, the West being as rich and prosperous as ever, IMO, can afford to do a bit of such "wasting" sometimes... it won't make much of a difference if the profit will hit $10bn or $9.97bn would it?

Only those few buildings will make it to architectural textboks and will remain as "heritage" in the future... the only reason why all these wonderful churches and "old towns" remain all around Europe and are valued so much is simply because back in those days they did indeed put luxury and poshness in the front when building something.

Which is why I'm so amazed and happy to see all those super-sexy designs being implemented in Chinese cities, even though they manage to keep a decent balance between coolness and practical indicators (which could not be said about places like Dubai building 800m tall towers just for the sake of making it 800m).

P.S. that photo really rocks!

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 7:33 AM
BANNED

i miss the early days of this thread, when people would come in here telling me how ugly everything is and wrong i am.
ahhh nostalgia.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
BANNED

That's because you haven't been posting any pictures of bugs humping boxes lately. Most of the stuff you've posted lately is actually good, that bug humping a box was hideous.

Even now I find your tastes on the edge of what I will tolerate since I am an extreme form follows function guy. All these bendy weird buildings get to me after a while, I think a few are good, but a whole movement of them I reject.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
BANNED

WILL ALSOP
PECKHAM LIBRARY
london

The public library at Peckham, south London, completed late in 1999, is part of a concerted programme of regeneration and community growth for this part of the borough of Southwark and forms one element in a new public square. SMC Alsop's architectural approach responds to, and interacts with, a client brief which seeks to redefine the role of the library in the local community.

After the practice's appointment (through a process of competitive interview), SMC Alsop launched an intense dialogue with the community to discover what sort of building Peckham's inhabitants wanted. Different groups who would eventually use the building; schools, disabled forums, inhabitants of Peckham, were consulted at design workshops. The result was a striking example of the new community architecture. Eschewing the idea of a library as a static and somewhat rarefied preserve of accumulated knowledge, wisdom and informat ion, the Peckham model proposes that the 21st century library should reach out to the community, encourage access to knowledge and embrace the diversity of the local population.

SMC Alsop's first major building in London, the Peckham Library brings together a number of themes and ideas which have long preoccupied the practice. Most obviously, there is the conviction that the public domain is enriched by strong form and vivid colour.

Traditionally, a library is conceived as a 'serious' building, but for SMC Alsop seriousness of purpose does not preclude either high style or wit. The practice habitually elevates its buildings above ground level, so that users connect with sky and views and the building itself, whatever its function, gains in presence. A by-product of this strategy is that buildings gain a 'sixth facade' -- an underbelly which can form the cover for a public space at ground level.

The Peckham Library is supported on concrete-filled steel columns, angled to form an irregular arcade which encloses a covered space, an extension of the new square. External claddings are chosen for durability and for their expressive textures and colours -- pre-patinated copper and steel mesh contrast with coloured glass (used on the north facade). The library itself is at fourth floor level, the short arm of an inverted 'L', with offices, meeting rooms and other ancillary facilities on the lower floors.

Video Link

*alsop

Last edited by Tom Servo; May 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:43 AM
BANNED

THE MAN BEHIND WAR AND ARCHITECTURE.

Lebbeus WOODS
[visit his website. read his blog.]

Architecture and war are not incompatible. Architecture is war. War is architecture. I am at war with my time, with history, with all authority that resides in fixed and frightened forms. I am one of millions who do not fit in, who have no home, no family, no doctrine, no firm place to call my own, no known beginning or end, no "sacred and primordial site." I declare war on all icons and finalities, on all histories that would chain me with my own falseness, my own pitiful fears. I know only moments, and lifetimes that are as moments, and forms that appear with infinite strength, then "melt into air." I am an architect, a constructor of worlds, a sensualist who worships the flesh, the melody, a silhouette against the darkening sky. I cannot know your name. Nor you can know mine. Tomorrow, we begin together the construction of a city.

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

[lebbeuswoods.net]

Video Link

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 5:08 PM
Closed account

Some of these drawings need a lot of help!

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:19 AM
low life in a tall place

Thought I'd represent my current location again - this one's due for construction next year.

--------------

360° \ Space Group Architects
-- Malmö, Sweden

22 000 m2 Hotel with Conference and Spa Centre in Malmö. In addition to the Hotel’s 250 rooms, there exists a conference facility with a 900 seat congress Hall and a Spa Centre of more than 2000m2. Located on the Swedish side of the Øresund Bridge connecting Denmark, the hotel is destined to become an icon for the throng of visitors and commuters using the gateway.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:31 AM
low life in a tall place

Not sure this qualifies for this thread..

-------------

Emporia \ Wingårdh Arkitekter
-- Malmö, Sweden

Scandinavia's largest retail park. Within a box, following the urban pattern of the area, two glazed inlets open the block. These apertures invite the within.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:37 AM
low life in a tall place

Last one, I promise.

-------------

Point Hyllie \ CF Møller Architects
-- Malmö, Sweden

Point Hyllie will be an important part of the new urban space around Hyllie station square. The development consists of four tower blocks rising up from a column-supported base. The tallest building is approximately 95 m high, the next-tallest 49 m, and the final two between 29 and 23 m high. The two tallest buildings, the twin towers, will symbolise a gateway to Sweden, but also a gateway linking the Hyllie residential area with the square. The buildings have been designed to allow the project to be adapted to human dimensions, and there is a soft but supple transition between high and low. The project will encompass 300 homes as well as offices and shops, and will form a distinctive landmark in the area.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:50 AM

AdrianXSands.

Lebbeus Woods is my all time favorite.
It's amazing that you posted all those examples of his work
and no one comments.

To me, they're astonishing.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:56 AM
BANNED

NICE STAFF!!! i'd never heard of ANY of those!!! SUPER COOLNESS!

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Not sure this qualifies for this thread..
dude, i made this thread to showcase awesome architecture. anything awesome qualifies!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture