HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:14 AM

Raiders’ Jon Gruden felt Winnipeg field was ‘perfectly fine’, insinuates Packers had issues with turf
3Down Staff - August 23, 2019

Raiders head coach Jon Gruden was not concerned with the turf at IG Field in Winnipeg for his team’s NFL pre-season game.

“The field, I don’t know what that was all about. We thought the field was perfectly fine,” Gruden said.

“I’m not going to make a big deal about the field. We liked the field. We thought the field was perfectly ready to roll. You’ll have to ask Green Bay about that.”

Packers bench boss Matt LaFleur tried to keep his thoughts about the surface to himself.

“We were going to have all our starters play and it was just one of those deals. I didn’t think it was – we certainly have all played on much worse surfaces in our life. But it was just one of those deals where they weren’t playing their starters, so we just decided to sit them,” LaFleur said.

“It was definitely different. It was the same conditions for both sides and you just deal with it.”

LaFleur was pressed again about the reasoning behind sitting his starters – including Aaron Rodgers – for the exhibition contest.

“We didn’t feel like that was something I wanted to do. Because I didn’t want to do it. No reason other than that, I didn’t want to do it,” LaFleur.

“It was a combination of a lot of things that I don’t really want to get into right now. I just didn’t want to put our guys at risk.”

That last word would imply LaFleur felt there was a chance his players could be injured due primarily to one area in each end zone where goal posts were removed.

By the sounds of it, Gruden would have played on a full 100-yard regulation field instead of shortening it to 80, but the Packers pressed the issue.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 4:46 PM

They should have just played on the regular CFL field. I mean, they do all sorts of different stuff in exhibition anyway to try out other things, rule changes, new goalposts, whatever. The only downside is realizing that the CFL field would make for more exciting football.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
They should have just played on the regular CFL field. I mean, they do all sorts of different stuff in exhibition anyway to try out other things, rule changes, new goalposts, whatever. The only downside is realizing that the CFL field would make for more exciting football.
That would have been cool to see. But that may have showed the world that Canadian football dimensions may have made a better brand of football. And under no circumstances can the “Shield” be tarnished. (Although it’s already severely tarnished)

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Aug 24, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 8:28 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
That would have been cool to see. But that may have showed the world that Canadian football dimensions may have made a better brand of football. And under no circumstances can the “Shield” be tarnished. (Although it’s already severely tarnished)
Never mind the fact that the receivers and cornerbacks would have had NO IDEA what to do with all that width.

Extending the NFL field 10 yards is one thing, but widening it by 12 is entirely another.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Never mind the fact that the receivers and cornerbacks would have had NO IDEA what to do with all that width.

Extending the NFL field 10 yards is one thing, but widening it by 12 is entirely another.
Like I said, it's exhibition, they could figure it out.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:22 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Like I said, it's exhibition, they could figure it out.
I was being a bit facetious but football is soooo regimented. CFL field dimensions would have led to havoc in scheming and play calling.

If Green Bay was that put off by a couple of relatively small patched areas of turf, imagine the angst over a 65 yard wide field. How could they possibly evaluate player performance?!?!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:33 PM

Saskatoon is home to another pro sports championship team yet again...

Saskatchewan Rattlers won the 2019 Canadian Elite Basketball League Championship yesterday at SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon.

It was last game before retirement for hometown hero Michael Linklater. The International 3x3 star was also part of the University of Saskatchewan team that won the National Championship in 2010 also with same Rattlers Head coach Greg Jockims.

"The Saskatchewan Rattlers defeated the Hamilton Honey Badgers 94-83 to capture the inaugural Canadian Elite Basketball League Championship on Sunday. (Devin Heroux/CBC Sports)"

The CEBL is expected to add one more team to the league next year and have plans in the future to bring pro basketball to new markets like Winnipeg, Vancouver, Red Deer, Calgary, Quebec, Ottawa, Maritimes.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...gers-1.5259592

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:28 AM
Go Chiefs!

Really disapointed in FAA. Yes, he's young, yes Shapovalov played PERFECT TENNIS but he is seeded is expected to win some matches.

As for Andreescu, I really believe she is the woman to beat in this year's US Open.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Really disapointed in FAA. Yes, he's young, yes Shapovalov played PERFECT TENNIS but he is seeded is expected to win some matches.

As for Andreescu, I really believe she is the woman to beat in this year's US Open.
I remember a few months ago you said FAA proves again he's got more potential than Shapo after beating him in whatever tournament that was.

At the time I was wondering if that was some good ol' ribbing between members as we tend to have regional rivalries here. Kind of like talking shit with your friends. Or was that serious in nature? I don't watch tennis a lot like I used to 15+ years ago but is there a discernible difference in potential between the two or is that some hometown bias?

I would love it if those guys became the next Sampras and Agassi representing the same country but throwing that out the window and trying to beat each other to win majors.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:20 PM
ハルウララ

It was a tough draw for FAA with an (18) seed. Effectively getting a former top 20 that's been having a down year, let alone a player that knows him inside-and-out. Not worried about FAA long-term after yesterday match.

Shapovalov, Pospisil, and Andreescu all looked really good in the first round.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:08 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I remember a few months ago you said FAA proves again he's got more potential than Shapo after beating him in whatever tournament that was.

At the time I was wondering if that was some good ol' ribbing between members as we tend to have regional rivalries here. Kind of like talking shit with your friends. Or was that serious in nature? I don't watch tennis a lot like I used to 15+ years ago but is there a discernible difference in potential between the two or is that some hometown bias?

I would love it if those guys became the next Sampras and Agassi representing the same country but throwing that out the window and trying to beat each other to win majors.
FAA clearly had an off day. I still think he has more potential. He did more than Shapovalov if you compare their performance as an 18 years old.

Also his current ranking of 19 is higher than the career high ranking of Denis (20) despite FAA being more than a year younger.

Shapovalov is more aggressive than FAA but his decision making needs a lot of impressive, but FAA is able to hold and stay in points much longer due to a better defensive game. With added weight (he just turned 19), he will be an even bigger force and should break into the top 5. With that being said, Shapovalov also has top 5 potential but I don't him winning Slams.

Nothing to do with where they're from.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:59 PM

World Cup Americas women's softball qualifiers on now at Softball City in Surrey BC.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
World Cup Americas women's softball qualifiers on now at Softball City in Surrey BC.
CBC providing full coverage of Canada's games. Canada is smoking everybody. One thing that is shocking me is how fat some of these teams are. I don't think you would have seen that 20 years ago, the Canadian team is the only one that seems to be decently fit.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 5:00 AM
Go Chiefs!

Shapovalov is out after an incredible effort. 5 setters vs Monfils (#13 in the world). I am surprised he kept such a high level throughout the 3h34 minutes match. He just needs to take the extra step to be able to beat top 10 players on a regular basis.

As for Andreescu, as I said there is no one to stop her except maybe Osaka. The woman's game is way too weak now that Serena isn't as dominant and Bianca is a beast so...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:54 PM

After narrowly losing to Mexico yesterday, Canada, behind the pitching of Danielle Lawrie (sister of Brett) punches its ticket to the Tokyo Olympics.

Catcher Kaleigh Rafter corked one to straight center in the 5th, for a walk off, mercy rule (7 run) win over Brazil

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 6:22 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
North America's Oldest Football Rivalry

Hamilton Tiger-Cats, courtesy of Tourism Hamilton

The oldest football rivalry in North America writes another chapter today as the Toronto Argonauts clash with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in one of the 'Labour Day Classics'. The Canadian Football League showcases 4 classic rivalries each Labour Day weekend and the matchups never change. Saskatchewan plays Winnipeg, Edmonton plays Calgary, Toronto plays Hamilton, and Montreal plays Ottawa.

The battle for football supremacy in Southern Ontario has continued to be contested since their first game against each other back on October 18, 1873. Hamilton and Toronto, quite predictably, are also the 2 oldest professional football teams on the continent ......and by a long shot.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats trace their roots back to the Hamilton Football Club, founded in 1869. They changed their name to the Hamilton Tigers in 1873 then merged with the Hamilton Wildcats in 1950. The Toronto Argonauts were founded in 1873 and were founded by the Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour...ton_vs_Calgary
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Argonauts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilt...nchise_history

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Canadian Football League showcases 4 classic rivalries each Labour Day weekend and the matchups never change. Saskatchewan plays Winnipeg, Edmonton plays Calgary, Toronto plays Hamilton, and Montreal plays Ottawa.
The one thing that will make it complete is the Coastal Bowl between the Lions and the Schooners.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:05 AM
Go Chiefs!

Andreescu off to the QF of the US Open.

She was not focused at all during that second set so naturally she lost. That meant she had to play longer than expected. 1h56 min on the court when Mertens, her next opponent, took 1h07 min to beat Ahn in her match (and was quite fast in her other matches).

Mertens also finished her match at 6PM while Bianca just wrapped things up at almost 1AM so she will get a little bit less rest.

Things like that make all the difference in a Grand Slam tournament which a completely different beast than other tournaments. Plus with her injuries history, you want to keep the matches as short as possible and have enough energy for the QF, SF and F.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Andreescu off to the QF of the US Open.

She was not focused at all during that second set so naturally she lost. That meant she had to play longer than expected. 1h56 min on the court when Mertens, her next opponent, took 1h07 min to beat Ahn in her match (and was quite fast in her other matches).

Mertens also finished her match at 6PM while Bianca just wrapped things up at almost 1AM so she will get a little bit less rest.

Things like that make all the difference in a Grand Slam tournament which a completely different beast than other tournaments. Plus with her injuries history, you want to keep the matches as short as possible and have enough energy for the QF, SF and F.
I'm still confident Andreescu will win her next match. What a tournament she has had already!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:53 PM

Not Football. but interesting.

This last weekend Canada (St Catherines Ont) was awarded not one but all 3 world rowing championships, (Senior, Junior and Under 23) in the same year 2024.

Normally it goes to 3 different countries but I think this is the Governing Bodies (FISA) plan to reduce operating costs.

Its going to be a tough year for volunteers. St Catherine's already hosts the largest club regatta in Aug. economically this is good though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada