HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:43 PM
Meh

Here's a pretty good close up of the balcony railings. I don't mind them.

The Independent Austin - https://www.facebook.com/independent...type=3&theater

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Here's a pretty good close up of the balcony railings. I don't mind them.

The Independent Austin - https://www.facebook.com/independent...type=3&theater
Man, I have to disagree vehemently, not at the prices they got per sqft. I mean, good for the developer, sales team...... the 360 finish out was fine because they sold out at less than $400/ft. Sure that was then, but I still feel like Austonian, W, and 4 Seasons quality killed it with their finish outs. Buyers feel like they really got something for their money.

Dat view though.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Man, I have to disagree vehemently, not at the prices they got per sqft. I mean, good for the developer, sales team...... the 360 finish out was fine because they sold out at less than $400/ft. Sure that was then, but I still feel like Austonian, W, and 4 Seasons quality killed it with their finish outs. Buyers feel like they really got something for their money.

Dat view though.
This is finished out similarly to Seaholm. Both of these I've thought weren't worth the price difference between them and the 360/Shore/Spring. There's a definite gap between these and Austonian/W/4 Seasons/Austin Proper/5th & West.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:07 AM

I really don't mind it either but for that view, glass would have been less obstructive. That would have looked great around the crown and parking garage. And if they did and found a way to apply soap to all the holes, on a windy day there could be thousands of bubbles emanating from the crown. When lit, it would have looked amazing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I really don't mind it either but for that view, glass would have been less obstructive. That would have looked great around the crown and parking garage. And if they did and found a way to apply soap to all the holes, on a windy day there could be thousands of bubbles emanating from the crown. When lit, it would have looked amazing.
lollll.... Would be so cutting edge feat. bubbles.

Yeah, the finish out is so meh. The common areas also remind me of a tech office space. Just not for me

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:45 PM

But who cares, I'm at 1500 comments!!!

I'd like to thank my agent, my partner and God!!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
But who cares, I'm at 1500 comments!!!
And growing, and we appreciate all of them.

From a design standpoint, I'd say the Independent is a rather pretentious building, except when you look at the material used at the base and on the crown, and from all the comments regarding the mehness of the quality of the finish out, its actually just ostentatious with the best feature being the great views. The wacky design is an attention grabber. But I don't recall any claims that it would be luxurious. To me its like a good (not great) looking person with ugly shoes and an ugly hat. I wonder why I thought and expected this would be better.

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 27, 2019 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:34 PM

The balcony railings look better in-person than they do in the photo. They are clean white. Their best feature is the sturdiness, which is psychologically important when one putzes around hundreds of feet above ground. For all their original beauty, Austonian's balcony railings are being replaced.
The real meh thing about this building is the quality of the kitchen cabinets. Also, I have to take back what I said a few months ago about casual observer not paying attention to the crown. People ask "are they going to finish this thing" all the time, unprompted. The naked sticks are awful.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:49 PM

Yeah, the mechanical fence has reached the GP as a head scratching point of confusion...or just pure dislike. I truly wonder if that "crown" will get a re-do within the next 10 years.

Also, great point Genral....As expensive as it is to buy there, they never tried to market it as a BLING-BLING luxury project I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I actually like those polls sticking out and I have heard a few others say the same thing. If the screening went all the way to the top, then it would be a featureless flat top which would barely be smaller in size than the top block of the tower. It would make the crown even less impressive than it already is.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I actually like those polls sticking out and I have heard a few others say the same thing. If the screening went all the way to the top, then it would be a featureless flat top which would barely be smaller in size than the top block of the tower. It would make the crown even less impressive than it already is.
I think a featureless flat top would be more aligned with the language of the rest of the building though - simple blocks offset from each other. The crown as the final block. The poles sticking out is a completely different language than the rest of the building, it makes no sense.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Different stokes for different folks, but man, I couldn't disagree more.

To me, this type of building does not need a visually distinguishable crown. It's a sleek design made up of square blocks. The ideal crown would simply be another block with the same (or very similar) glass to the rest of the building. Essentially, it should just look like another few floors.

If you look at the dozens of other "jenga" type designs around the world, almost all of them hide the slosh tank in this manner. There isn't some different piece at the top to break up the aesthetic.

With that said, I've made my peace with the crown and still appreciate the building and what it brings to our skyline.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

To me, this type of building does not need a visually distinguishable crown. It's a sleek design made up of square blocks. The ideal crown would simply be another block with the same (or very similar) glass to the rest of the building. Essentially, it should just look like another few floors.

If you look at the dozens of other "jenga" type designs around the world, almost all of them hide the slosh tank in this manner. There isn't some different piece at the top to break up the aesthetic.

With that said, I've made my peace with the crown and still appreciate the building and what it brings to our skyline.
Yep.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:06 AM
Love Austin

I love it! There's a lot going on there, kind of like the inside of my head, I can dig it. Any word on who may take the retail ?!?!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:37 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post

I agree with you that the best thing would have been a glass crown matching the rest of the tower. I think it's a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:56 AM

Quote:
I agree with you that the best thing would have been a glass crown matching the rest of the tower. I think it's a missed opportunity.
Even if the glass just covered the cement box in the middle of the roof ala the Austonian, it would look so much nicer. I said it before, I never really liked the Austonian's crown until....this....happened....I won't sugar coat it, its not going to grow on me, I can't psyche myself into liking it, no amount of alcohol will make it look better, and none of the positive spin from this thread will change my mind. The hat does not go with the outfit, and don't get me started about the parking pedestal. I like the contribution the Independent makes on the skyline, but its a shame our current tallest doesn't start or finish well. And as for the lighting of the crown, if you shine bright lights on a pig, all you get is a better view of the pig.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 3:43 PM
Joenaustex

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdjLrjKDnkLqJqgW7
For those of you who don’t own and can’t go up in the building, the balconies are spacious and the railing is sturdy. The holes allow the view to be enjoyed from inside the unit. With glass it would be too hard to clean. This view is from my place on the 43rd floor. They look great.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenaustex View Post
For those of you who don’t own and can’t go up in the building, the balconies are spacious and the railing is sturdy. The holes allow the view to be enjoyed from inside the unit. With glass it would be too hard to clean. This view is from my place on the 43rd floor. They look great.
Best read in a "Ye peasants, I will grant thee but a glimmer of my perch" sort of tone.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Interesting!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:44 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Found the rich guy! Lol jk thanks for sharing! I would be fine with that balcony!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin