HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
From one of the slides in the presentation it looks like
1x19
2x16
1x7

Have to agree, the first building looks great.
The corner looks like 222 Water St and sister building 89 Canterbury St. The other segments look like similar uptown facades and the tower almost seems like a mash up of City Hall building and Brunswick House. Will definitely blend in seamlessly.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:27 PM

Market Sq / Fundy Quay redesign

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
From one of the slides in the presentation it looks like
1x19
2x16
1x7

Have to agree, the first building looks great.
I agree. It does give those building heights on the slide.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 10:23 PM

New Sea Wall and site of first 16 story building

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I agree. It does give those building heights on the slide.
Perhaps we could have the thread heading modified to reflect the findings on the number of floors?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:31 AM

The City of Saint John shared some drone shots of the development happening on our waterfront. You can check out some more shots here, https://www.facebook.com/CityofSaintJohnNB/

Fundy Quay sea wall repairs, future site of an estimated $300 million dollar neighbourhood

Future site of Area 506 Container Village

Also of note, demolition of the boardwalk has begun to make way for a new market slip.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:23 PM

Man, I hope the 'container village' is not permanent. This property will become much more valuable once Quay construction begins. We have enough containers across the water.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:28 PM
ハルウララ

It's as permanent as shipping containers located in a parking lot can be - not very.

We’re taking something that you’ve known and loved – the AREA 506 Vendor Village – and turning it into another amazing experience on the Saint John Waterfront for residents, tourists, and cruise ship passengers to enjoy all season long.

Beginning Fall, 2021 until opening in June, 2022 we will be turning a parking lot into a full waterfront experience with a diverse collection of retail shops, a performance space, a waterfront container bar, food trucks, public art and pop-up activities. All wrapped up in more than 60 shipping containers, celebrating everything that’s cool about our identity as a Port City. The plan is to mirror the local cruise ship schedule, which generally begins in the late Spring and continues until mid-Fall.

https://area506.ca/village/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's as permanent as shipping containers located in a parking lot can be - not very.

We’re taking something that you’ve known and loved – the AREA 506 Vendor Village – and turning it into another amazing experience on the Saint John Waterfront for residents, tourists, and cruise ship passengers to enjoy all season long.

Beginning Fall, 2021 until opening in June, 2022 we will be turning a parking lot into a full waterfront experience with a diverse collection of retail shops, a performance space, a waterfront container bar, food trucks, public art and pop-up activities. All wrapped up in more than 60 shipping containers, celebrating everything that’s cool about our identity as a Port City. The plan is to mirror the local cruise ship schedule, which generally begins in the late Spring and continues until mid-Fall.

https://area506.ca/village/
I'm just concerned the Port is not marketing their surplus lands very well. They were offering a 99 year lease of this land for around $1M, but good luck finding that info anywhere other than a Port bureaucrat's LinkedIn.

Honestly, the container heap seemed more like election-related patronage than an actual plan to me. I would not have been disappointed if it fell through.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:07 PM

I don’t think it’ll be a long-term installation, but it does fill a very noticeable need in the Uptown entertainment scene while the boardwalk is being re-built over the next couple of years.

If I had to guess, I would say that the container village will last 5-10 years, depending on how rapidly the Fundy Quay development actually gets built.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I don’t think it’ll be a long-term installation, but it does fill a very noticeable need in the Uptown entertainment scene while the boardwalk is being re-built over the next couple of years.

If I had to guess, I would say that the container village will last 5-10 years, depending on how rapidly the Fundy Quay development actually gets built.
Could be less if another developer wants in on the action. Does the seawall need to be repaired here too?

The port owns another wedge of land between Ross, Charlotte, and LCL. It's for sale too.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
After reading through this entire thread this morning. I got to say it was quite the roller coaster of emotions. Lots of ups and downs and confusion for many years!

I am extremely excited to see that work is being done on the site.
Does anyone know if rough timelines have been release for each "phase" or "building"?

Also jumping on someone elses point. The container thing is just kinda clunky. I do hope that if the Fundy Quay is finshed the plan for the container area is scraped. For me it would just feel out of place.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 7:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Also jumping on someone elses point. The container thing is just kinda clunky. I do hope that if the Fundy Quay is finshed the plan for the container area is scraped. For me it would just feel out of place.
It's only temporary for a few years until a more serious development proposal is brought forward. It's better than the current sea of surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 8:07 PM

I may be out of the loop on the project. Is the Sea Wall refurbishment required for the Fundy Quay project to begin? I walked by the site yesterday and thought they were starting the project but it says Sea Wall refurbishment. Was a little disappointed haha.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
I may be out of the loop on the project. Is the Sea Wall refurbishment required for the Fundy Quay project to begin? I walked by the site yesterday and thought they were starting the project but it says Sea Wall refurbishment. Was a little disappointed haha.
Yes sea wall needs repairing and site level raised due to rising seas. The site will be hand over to the developer in phases. Expect the first phase to be handed over Q1 or Q2 2022

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 1:09 AM

Mark January 10th on calendar. Date we should see proposal as they will be before a public hearing for height variances.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 11:13 PM

Fundy Quay Development Statistics

The Fundy Quay development is in this Tuesday's PAC agenda and here are a few main takeaways.

The development will be constructed in five phases. With an end completion date in 2032.

The entire development will consist of 637-677 apartment units, 57,711 ft² of retail space, 119,504 ft² of office space, 34,657 ft² of cultural space, and 440 parking spaces.

The first building to break ground is the SE building at 16 storeys tall/60 meters. (165 units w/ 11,384 ft² retail space & 168 parking spots, 15 of which will be on water street). The completion date is 2024.

Phase 2 consists of the SW building with a completion date in 2026. 111 apartment units and 18,875 ft² of retail.

Phase 3 consists of the NW building with a completion date in 2028. 173 apartment units and 16,653 ft² of retail and 66,613 ft² of office space.

Phase 4 consists of the NE building with a completion date in 2030. 188 apartment units and 10,799 ft² of retail and 52,891 ft² of office space.

Phase 5 is 34,657 ft² of cultural space with the potential for 40 units with a completion date in 2032.

Building heights range from 6 storeys (25 meters) to 19 storeys (70 meters). The timeline suggests the developers wish to keep this project a constant active site with no long periods in between phases.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The Fundy Quay development is in this Tuesday's PAC agenda and here are a few main takeaways.

The development will be constructed in five phases. With an end completion date in 2032.
TEN YEARS????

I'm not a fan of that plan. Clearly they are on a "pay as you go" model for the development and don't have the full ability to finance the project. Which I can understand.. but if the first tower isn't financially successful, that means you can say goodbye to the other phases and we will be left with a single tower that looks out of place on the waterfront. This has to be the reason for the long 2-year per tower building schedule. This means there is a lot at risk here for the overall progression of the waterfront and I hope council takes notice.

This isn't a massive development by any means. A similar complex could be built within a year or two in Toronto by a developer with deeper pockets. I'm sure it is a combo of financing and labour shortages...but still. I am not liking the 10 year timeline because a lot can happen between now and then.

I wonder if the developer has considered approaching a larger entity like Context, Tridel, or Daniels in Toronto to maybe speed up the development and help market it? As more baby-boomers start moving back east, it is a market I am sure these larger developers have their eye on.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
TEN YEARS????

I'm not a fan of that plan. Clearly they are on a "pay as you go" model for the development and don't have the full ability to finance the project. Which I can understand.. but if the first tower isn't financially successful, that means you can say goodbye to the other phases and we will be left with a single tower that looks out of place on the waterfront. This has to be the reason for the long 2-year per tower building schedule. This means there is a lot at risk here for the overall progression of the waterfront and I hope council takes notice.

This isn't a massive development by any means. A similar complex could be built within a year or two in Toronto by a developer with deeper pockets. I'm sure it is a combo of financing and labour shortages...but still. I am not liking the 10 year timeline because a lot can happen between now and then.

I wonder if the developer has considered approaching a larger entity like Context, Tridel, or Daniels in Toronto to maybe speed up the development and help market it? As more baby-boomers start moving back east, it is a market I am sure these larger developers have their eye on.
I'd rather them start slow and be successful than end up with a (for Saint John) massive empty development if tenants and residents aren't found. If it is a success with pre-sales they can always speed things up.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 2:04 PM

I'm fine with a slow buildout. If only the first building goes up according to plan, three key wins are already secured. This is the fourth major attempt to do ANYTHING on this site in 25 years, and the seawall funding was the biggest barrier to that, remember.

-Harbour Passage will frame the remainder of the site, making it more appealing for anyone seeking to develop later
-Seawall will be good to go for any other developer
-Water Street streetscape still improves, along with Loyalist Plaza

I'd honestly rather they start with the two eastern (as opposed to the two southern) buildings for the sake of Water St. If it fails after they're both up, use the remainder for events/parking until a new buyer emerges.

I'm just glad they don't plan on starting with the west- that would create a guaranteed parking chasm between the building and Water St and would be much more intimidating for future devs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces