HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Is it so bad? An outdoor venue for performances/market place taking a spot on port land that otherwise would just serve as a parking lot.
I agree, it's much much better than what is there now, and with Loyalist Plaza being ripped up to be redeveloped we needed a new waterfront stage and event venue. The rendering they put out is of pretty poor quality though, I'm sure it will look better once it is built. I don't like it being called "permanent" because I do think there is could be better long-term use in a few years, but this makes sense as a quick, affordable, and easy improvement to our waterfront now.

Oh, and I'm pretty amused by how much the federal building on Water Street looks like a giant 90s computer monitor in that rendered image.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 2:28 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Oh, and I'm pretty amused by how much the federal building on Water Street looks like a giant 90s computer monitor in that rendered image.
I thought the same thing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Is it so bad? An outdoor venue for performances/market place taking a spot on port land that otherwise would just serve as a parking lot.
Congrats Saint John! You are actually building something super cool and popular in major urban areas globally - Amsterdam, Seattle, Brooklyn...even Singapore!

As a Torontonian (Don't hate me) currently in the area looking to move back east, this is exactly what Toronto allowed to be built on land as an interim development in the West End of downtown. LINK: https://stacktmarket.com/

It is an infill solution until a permanent development occurs. But in the interim, it adds character and value to residents and visitors! I can't express how cool this is for a city Saint John's size!!!

This would further add to Saint John's cool factor. I'm in Halifax right now and can honestly say, it is a bit "ho hum" compared to the things I'm seeing in Saint John. Can't wait to visit next week!

Keep it up!!!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 12:38 PM

We already have piles of shipping containers across the harbour at the terminal. The city can't be bothered to replant trees in existing parks after the 2018 ice storm. Loyalist Plaza is going to duplicate this space's function a block away.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
We already have piles of shipping containers across the harbour at the terminal. The city can't be bothered to replant trees in existing parks after the 2018 ice storm. Loyalist Plaza is going to duplicate this space's function a block away.
Jesus. Ever hear of a glass being half full? Celebrate the small wins man... otherwise people will simply move ideas like these on to a city where it is more appreciated... like Moncton or Fredericton...and skip Saint John.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Jesus. Ever hear of a glass being half full? Celebrate the small wins man... otherwise people will simply move ideas like these on to a city where it is more appreciated... like Moncton or Fredericton...and skip Saint John.
This is duplicating the redesign of Loyalist Circle happening one block away. SJ struggles to maintain and upgrade existing public spaces that are well used. Containers look like shit.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
This is duplicating the redesign of Loyalist Circle happening one block away. SJ struggles to maintain and upgrade existing public spaces that are well used. Containers look like shit.
Well, to each their own. All I am saying is that there are bigger and more global cities building similar venues and getting international praise for it. It has to be better than its current use as a vacant lot. FYI...when all developers or investors hear is complaining with no suggestions or alternative solutions from the public when they propose something, they move on to the next city. There are lots of other places in Canada to invest.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Well, to each their own. All I am saying is that there are bigger and more global cities building similar venues and getting international praise for it. It has to be better than its current use as a vacant lot. FYI...when all developers or investors hear is complaining with no suggestions or alternative solutions from the public when they propose something, they move on to the next city. There are lots of other places in Canada to invest.
There's the problem. This is government magic money in election season, not developers. Developers aren't making 0-profit 'event spaces' out of literal garbage on waterfront land.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This little tidbit is on the CCD Canada website:

Quote:
SAINT JOHN - THE FUNDY QUAY, MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING B
The listing is behind a paywall, therefore there is no additional information available for casual viewers, but, at the very least, this indicates that developers are putting information out for potential contractors regarding a new mixed use building on the Fundy Quay. This is a concrete and tangible development.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 2:21 PM

From the TJ today, a condensed version.

"The public will have an opportunity to provide feedback on initial design concepts for Market Slip, Harbour Passage extension and the new pedway connection. Construction to begin in 2022.
The concepts are fully visualized within a three dimensional model
Initial designs of the Fundy Quay development will also be available for viewing."

Sept 27/21 Market Square Atrium from 5 to 8pm
Mask, proof of vaccination and photo ID required for attendees.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 10:04 PM

Fundy Quay building heights

Building one - 16 stories
Building two - 12 stories
Building three - 7 stories
Building four - 7 stories

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by cdnguys; Sep 27, 2021 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I’ll post an update later with renderings for area around actual development site, but from what I could gather from public meeting is this:

Wow!

Some height to our waterfront is on the way!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post

[IMG] [/IMG]
If this gets built as rendered, I will eat my hat. It's honestly perfect!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:17 PM

I'm getting a Halifax library kind of feel from those renderings, a catalyst for new development! I also see some similarities to Halifax's new "Queen's Marque" on their waterfront with the steps going into the water and the prow.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:32 PM

The cobblestone from Loyalist Plaza will be recycled to create some of the sidewalks. I agree, has the Queen’s Marque Halifax feel of quality.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:27 AM

This will be the top urban public space in the province. I don't feel any hesitation in saying this is better than Officer's Square.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:07 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The Loyalist Plaza/Harbour Passage concept wasn't the only information available at tonight's open house...

The developer gave a short presentation to unveil the site plan and a few preliminary renderings!!!

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

A few additional details that were shared verbally during the presentation:

- They are making a conscious effort to orient the active building frontages toward the public space around the perimeter of the site. This means that servicing and vehicular access will be through the centre of the site between the buildings.
- The majority of the ground floors are intended to be commercial uses.
- Parking is to be provided "above ground" in the building podiums along with a small amount of angle parking along Water and a some surface parking again in that less activated centre part of the site.
- The southeast building will be the first phase to get constructed, as such it is the furthest along in terms of the design/rendering detail.
- They are trying to keep the podium height along Water Street similar to the other buildings on Water with the towers stepped back. They also intend to break up the massing of the podium as per the rendering for a better horizontal scale.
- Architect is Lydon Lynch out of Halifax.

I have to say I've been more than a little concerned that we would be disappointed by what they'd eventually come up with for the site but I walked away from this presentation with a great first impression - I think they're on the right track here. Exciting stuff!

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Last edited by Fischbob; Sep 28, 2021 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Removed redundant quote and uploaded better quality images

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 9:25 AM

Looks like I got the heights wrong - check out Fischbob’s posting on FundyQuay thread. Hard to make out but looks like maybe a trio of 16 - 20 story buildings???

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:29 AM

The architect has some big Halifax projects under their belt, including Bishop’s Landing, Kings Wharf and The Martello. When I visited Halifax I really liked the feel of the pedestrian level of Bishop’s Landing and hoped Fundy Quay would be similar. This project adds to what Saint John already has to offer, especially a sense of space / belonging / inspiration / creation of meaning for occupants that is mostly lacking in other big projects in the province. My fears of seeing modern cookie cutter buildings on podiums like the office parks flying into Pearson or Trudeau are alleviated. This project is creating a community / gathering place rather than building lobbies or plazas.

Last edited by cdnguys; Sep 28, 2021 at 11:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:56 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

By my count the towers are 19, 16 and 16 storeys. This checks out as they said in the presentation the tallest portion of the site would be comparable in height to "City Hall or Brunswick Square".

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces