HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
That's an interesting thing to point out that 2WTC and maybe part of 5WTC will be the only high-rise office space to be built in Lower Manhattan in the pipeline in the near future.

Also there was a proposal to build a 1000ft+ building near 388 Greenwich Street I think. I dunno can't really remember. Any ideas?

Are you talking about this? Looks like someone’s idea for a massive 2msf+ office tower at 255 Greenwich. But we’re moving into Tribeca territory.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:56 PM

Ugh wtf is that. Nah I meant further north along/close to west street so yeh Tribeca I guess. I remember it being not to far from 388 Greenwich Street.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Ugh wtf is that. Nah I meant further north along/close to west street so yeh Tribeca I guess. I remember it being not to far from 388 Greenwich Street.
That was from a few years ago. I can’t remember the one further north. I’ll have to look through some old renderings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 9:16 PM

Yikes, what a design

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 PM

When do you think the final design will be released? I am hoping for something tall, strong and architecturally stunning.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 1:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
When do you think the final design will be released? I am hoping for something tall, strong and architecturally stunning.
It could be any time now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 2:00 AM

Shouldn't this be moved to the proposal thread until construction actually starts?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Shouldn't this be moved to the proposal thread until construction actually starts?
Construction has already started.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 7:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Construction has already started.

Right, the foundation and lower levels are already complete. The PATH entrance/exit is open.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 7:48 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I trust that Sir Norman will create something that presents a seamless visual continuum between T1 and 3.

It's a fair cinch that the hexagonal footprint he made in the first place will be retained.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
It's a fair cinch that the hexagonal footprint he made in the first place will be retained.
I agree.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 11:24 PM
New Yorker for life

One day, this will be the view of 2 WTC...

JUNE 27, 2020

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 11:49 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One day, this will be the view of 2 WTC...
If they build it while we're all still alive, yes.

The sun is also projected to expand and destroy the earth in about 4 billion years, hopefully they build it before that happens.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 3:54 PM
New Yorker for life

I've been thinking about this complex, and how much tower 2 needs to fill in the gap. A look at what has been built so far, and contemplating how this tower will fit in with the rest of the complex...

As colorful as the artwork is, when a design is revealed, they should go back to posting renderings around the site. We know Silverstein isn't shy about releasing renderings. The fact that they
haven't already makes me wonder what Foster is working on.

JULY 18, 2020

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 5:40 PM
BANNED

The WTC is gorgeous. Anyone who calls 3 WTC "value-engineered" is a buffoon. It's a stunning building.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
The WTC is gorgeous. Anyone who calls 3 WTC "value-engineered" is a buffoon. It's a stunning building.
I don't think 1 WTC and 2 WTC were valued engineered, but I think 2 WTC was - it was supposed to have spires and different bracing.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 6:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

With 1 WTC, the spire was modified for the purpose of making it easier to put COMM equipment.

3 WTC I believe was. There was no reason to remove the cross bracing other than saving a few bucks, along with the 4 spires on the 4 roof corners.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 7:14 PM

The height of 3wtc was also reduced from 1155ft to 1079 ft, l hope the same will not apply to 2wtc

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't think 1 WTC and 2 WTC were valued engineered, but I think 2 WTC was - it was supposed to have spires and different bracing.
The bracing didn't totally come off of 3. The elimination of the bracing on the center of the facade was a good idea. It looks nice from the outside but not from the inside. Clear views are better than obstructed ones.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
With 1 WTC, the spire was modified for the purpose of making it easier to put COMM equipment.
The covering was left off more for the purposes of cost cutting (value engineering). That's why Durst was bought in, and that's exactly what they did. The maintenance issue was just the excuse they would use, conveniently forgetting (or more likely ignoring) the fact that the original plan for the spire wasn't radome at all, but an open air design that would enclose the antenna. There were a number of changes, mostly forgotten about here and everywhere else.

But the interesting fact is that tower 2 was initially the first tower that was supposed to be constructed. Silverstein got it changed so the tallest (largest) tower would be built first.

Quote:
https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...a-changed-one/

The rooftop mast will no longer be enclosed in a sculptural sheath of interlocking fiberglass panels but will instead be an exposed latticework structure.

If the result of all these changes is to lower the construction budget — something the Durst Organization has a strong financial incentive to do — that was not their purpose, said Douglas Durst, the chairman.

“We didn’t make the changes to save money,” he said. “The changes were made in order to construct the building.”

Durst originally sought what would have been, in essence, a construction management fee of $35 million for what it envisioned as five years of work. The authority was unwilling to pay that amount. Instead, a deal was negotiated under which Durst would receive a $15 million fee and be entitled to a percentage of any “base building changes that result in net economic benefit to the project” — cost savings, in other words — that Durst had initiated and recommended.

The biggest revision that has received the least public attention is to the large triangular plaza on the west side of 1 World Trade Center. Because of a grade change on the site, the plaza is up to 5 feet 8 inches higher than the surrounding sidewalks. The original plan called for broad stainless-steel steps to address that height difference.

“We wanted to create as much plaza as possible,” Mr. Durst said. “We didn’t see that the steps added anything, because most people don’t come in from the west.” Durst executives also questioned the wisdom of using stainless steel as a walking surface.

Mr. Childs publicly expressed disappointment with the decision by his clients not to build a radome, as such structures are known, to enclose the mast. “Eliminating this integral part of the building’s design and leaving an exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate,” he said in a statement.

Though radomes are common on tall buildings and towers, Mr. Foye said Mr. Childs’s design “would have been very difficult to build and impossible to maintain.”

Towers 3 and 4 turned out pretty well, value engineered or not. We can only hope that Silverstein is able to build a tower 2 that is compatible with the architect's vision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction