HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:46 PM

I had spent a couple of months in NYC and was totally inspired to recreate something for Detroit. I know it's not the best design for a map (I have poor graphic design skills), but I was mostly just trying to convey what I thought would be ideal routes for a subway system.

Emphasis is placed on clustering stations around institutions, job centers, and areas that would have the most potential for high density development. All or most lines would have an express train and local train. Low density areas wouldn't have much coverage, but most would be covered by feeder bus lines anyway.

One main thing is I wanted to avoid is using the spoke roads too much. That's why, for example, the "Woodward" line (W1) makes a turn at McNichols and then turns north up Livernois. The Grand River line (G) makes a turn up Dexter and then a left onto Fenkell and rejoins Grand River at Southfield Freeway. Michigan (M) would actually follow Vernor Highway through its section of Detroit then reconnects to Michigan Avenue via Miller Road. This way, many more sections of routes go through the heart of residential areas than if they were stuck to the spoke roads.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 3:56 AM

I decided to update my map to include a connection to Metro Airport as well as Pontiac and Utica. The "Utica Line" (U) covers the inner-ring suburbs and allows for riders in those suburbs to bypass the central city if they are heading to the Airport which is now reached by an extension of the Michigan Line (M). The Woodward Line (W1) has also been extended and split with one spur ending in the business district of Troy and the other spur turning back towards Woodward and paralleling it to Pontiac.

I contemplated extending lines into Downriver or eastern Macomb County, but these areas don't really have issues with congestion outside of large construction projects. Rapid transit lines probably wouldn't make a different in commute times and the lines here would probably have low ridership compared to other routes. For the rest of the Metro area, I feel that rapid transit lines become less effective with distance relative to cost especially in the outer ring and far flung suburbs. At that point, bus service and commuter rails would be more useful.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 10:28 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art