HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 3:47 AM
Community Guy

As many of you know, this place is my second home (and a few others on here) when in Edmonton and is celebrating their 20th next week with a series of nights. If you haven't gone before, haven't been lately or are still recovering from last week, I highly encourage you to go raise a glass. This place has been a staple on Jasper and regularly made Jasper Ave vibrant at night (and now mornings too!). The group behind it, staff and DJs are some of the best people I've met over the years.

Trivia -

1. who remembers HALO?

2. what are Ian's soldiers?

3. what are the ingredients in Kenna's green drink?

https://redstarpub.ca/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Good to see something new coming to Jasper Ave.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1h4f71J...c3c2sxdw%3D%3D
Nice. I love Artworks and this sounds like something similar.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 7:27 PM

What was in this space previously?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:06 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 1:31 PM
Community Guy

It's a bit more layered than that though from my perspective.

*let me state that these are my basic observations and are not involved or intimately aware of details by any means.

Keep in mind that they were wanting a year-round venue/space to provide greater stability for vendors and create a proper home; City Hall was far from ideal during the winter. The City saw a benefit of helping provide some stability and so they worked with them to get into the former A&N and secure FREE PARKING.

Unfortunately, the location was not particularly great for those of us who live Downtown as it was not near the areas of significant residential density, a few blocks too far for many who wanted to walk and still had perception baggage for some.

Their summertime experience was sub-par at best and really was a letdown given their previous product. Sure, on a few windy or cool days the inside space was pleasant, but given the former experience on 104st with brunch places, cool coffee shops and overall vibe, it simply led many to find another option.

Here's hoping something new can bloom from this and regain what it used to be have/be.

Wishing the group all the best, as it continues to be a major loss for the core and one of the reasons many truly enjoyed urban living.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 5:09 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 498341605-002
Description: To add a Food and Drink Service with 20 seats and approximately 77 m2 Public Space to an Indoor Sales and Service use (retail store with coffeeshop)
Plan NB Blk 3 Lots 157-158
Applicant: KRISTIANNA SQUIRECHUK O/A WILD ROSE CAKES
Create Date: 2024-01-18T14:40:20Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 3:49 PM
Community Guy

Hello new patio.

Reference ID: Job No 499429676-002
Description: Other
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 187-188
Applicant: 1943957 ALBERTA LTD O/A BAIJIU COCKTAIL BAR
Create Date: 2024-01-30T16:15:39Z

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 4:24 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Hello new patio.

Reference ID: Job No 499429676-002
Description: Other
Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 187-188
Applicant: 1943957 ALBERTA LTD O/A BAIJIU COCKTAIL BAR
Create Date: 2024-01-30T16:15:39Z
Is this in addition to the one they have? Which is open during the winter when the weather is good.

We've come a long ways with patios in this city. There was a time when they would all basically shutter come mid-September. Barf...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:25 AM
Community Guy

A revamp and shoulder-season expansion.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:01 PM
Community Guy

Northern Chicken closing its 104st location as well

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 10:59 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Northern Chicken closing its 104st location as well
Another one bites the dust - likely related to the CEWS repayment deadline I bet.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 1:31 PM
Community Guy

What a run!

---
Amy Quon closing Chicken For Lunch after 32 years

Feb. 6, 2024 · The Pulse
By Sharon Yeo

Edmonton culinary institution Chicken for Lunch is closing after 32 years of business. The kiosk, located in the food court in Rice Howard Place (formerly Scotia Place), is known for its long line-ups and Amy Quon, its gregarious proprietor. Its last day of business will be Feb. 29.

Quon, whose family also owns and operates The Lingnan (which just celebrated its 75th anniversary in November), decided not to renew the lease ahead of the food court’s planned six-month closure for renovations. Quon also shared that she turned 65 this year and challenges with her knees and hands have slowed her down. By closing Chicken for Lunch, Quon can now work exclusively at The Lingnan.

“Right now I get up at 5am and pick up my staff,” said Quon. “I’m at Chicken for Lunch at seven and I work there until 2:30, and then work at The Lingnan until 10:30. Now, I can come at two. So Amy not retiring, only Chicken for Lunch retiring.”

Quon opened Chicken for Lunch in 1992 when her youngest son was six (her husband, Kinman, was a partner in The Lingnan at the time, but their family did not yet own it outright). “Chicken for Lunch was my first restaurant,” Quon said. “My kids were still young. I wanted a job from Monday to Friday, so after 2pm I can go home and be with my kids. That’s why I chose an office building with short hours.”

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...ontinueReading

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
What a run!

---
Amy Quon closing Chicken For Lunch after 32 years

Feb. 6, 2024 · The Pulse
By Sharon Yeo

Edmonton culinary institution Chicken for Lunch is closing after 32 years of business. The kiosk, located in the food court in Rice Howard Place (formerly Scotia Place), is known for its long line-ups and Amy Quon, its gregarious proprietor. Its last day of business will be Feb. 29.

Quon, whose family also owns and operates The Lingnan (which just celebrated its 75th anniversary in November), decided not to renew the lease ahead of the food court’s planned six-month closure for renovations. Quon also shared that she turned 65 this year and challenges with her knees and hands have slowed her down. By closing Chicken for Lunch, Quon can now work exclusively at The Lingnan.

“Right now I get up at 5am and pick up my staff,” said Quon. “I’m at Chicken for Lunch at seven and I work there until 2:30, and then work at The Lingnan until 10:30. Now, I can come at two. So Amy not retiring, only Chicken for Lunch retiring.”

Quon opened Chicken for Lunch in 1992 when her youngest son was six (her husband, Kinman, was a partner in The Lingnan at the time, but their family did not yet own it outright). “Chicken for Lunch was my first restaurant,” Quon said. “My kids were still young. I wanted a job from Monday to Friday, so after 2pm I can go home and be with my kids. That’s why I chose an office building with short hours.”

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...ontinueReading
That's going to be quite the hit to downtown Lunch dining. There were fewer and fewer choices. Have lots of choices now that I work in the Burbs but that shop was busy everytime I went by.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:55 PM

One of the big things I miss about working downtown is going to Chicken for lunch at least once a week. Very good food and reasonably priced I think.Tried to be there before 11:30 or after 12:20 to avoid the rush but even it you were in the lineup, it moved fast. If your a regular, Amy knows your name or her special way of identifying you ("no rice boy", "extra broccoli girl") and knows your order as it would be picked out already by the time one would get to the counter.

Getting hungry thinking about them and their "hot and dry". Very good people. I know Amy gave out a lot of lunch boxes to those less fortunate.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 5:15 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
One of the big things I miss about working downtown is going to Chicken for lunch at least once a week. Very good food and reasonably priced I think.Tried to be there before 11:30 or after 12:20 to avoid the rush but even it you were in the lineup, it moved fast. If your a regular, Amy knows your name or her special way of identifying you ("no rice boy", "extra broccoli girl") and knows your order as it would be picked out already by the time one would get to the counter.

Getting hungry thinking about them and their "hot and dry". Very good people. I know Amy gave out a lot of lunch boxes to those less fortunate.

Thankfully we can still get our dry and spicy chicken fix at the Lingnan, that stuff is to die for.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:52 PM
Community Guy

The Edmonton Downtown Business Association Seeks Farmers’ Market Operator

February 14, 2024

Following the closure of the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market, the Edmonton Downtown Business Association announces plans for a new outdoor farmers’ market on 104 street. The new market will operate for up to 22 weeks from May to October 2024 on Saturdays and provides an opportunity for food growers, food producers, local makers, and other local vendors to sell their goods on the iconic 104 street promenade.

“We heard from many downtown community members, both residents and businesses, and from Edmontonians across the city after the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market closed its doors in January. The overwhelming sentiment was that the community wants to see a downtown farmers’ market restored on 104 street, and that the loss of the market from 104 street has been felt for years. We believe that a successful downtown farmers’ market is essential to the vibrancy and livability of the core, and so the EDBA board and team have made the decision to take on a lead convening and oversight role in establishing a 104-street market for the 2024 market season,” says Puneeta McBryan, CEO of Edmonton Downtown Business Association.

"This new market has the potential to re-establish 104 street as Edmonton’s most vibrant public space that offers something for everyone and is accessible to all. Historical experience tells us that the increased visitation to the area will greatly benefit nearby restaurants and other small businesses. We’ve already had an outpouring of support and offers of assistance from our members and from displaced vendors from the now closed EDFMA," adds McBryan.

The EDBA is working closely with the City of Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton Community League, former board members of the EDFMA, and other partners to ensure that a market is up and running, in some format, this summer. Financial support for the market will be provided by the Downtown Vibrancy Fund with the EDBA contributing additional funds.

"Downtown markets have been a popular destination for Edmontonians and tourists for more than a century, helping to build a sense of community and support local businesses," says Brett Latchford, Director of Strategy and Emerging Economy, City of Edmonton. “The City of Edmonton is proud to help continue this legacy of creating economic growth and vibrant downtown spaces.”

Companies interested in operating the market have until March 15, 2024, to complete an Expression of Interest submission online. The EDBA is also actively recruiting vendors interested in selling at the outdoor market. The deadline for vendors to complete the vendor form is March 15, 2024.

https://forms.office.com/pages/respo...Y2UDVMUzRVSC4u

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:49 PM
A Better Place

Finally checked out Bar Oro and was glad to hear that their roastery component is now up and running after getting their mechanical sorted out. They are also looking at opening later during the week for cocktails once they have a liquor license and want to open on the weekends for brunch as well.

I also heard that Energy Square is nearly 90% leased already with Yardstick taking some space (in addition to AHS already there) which is an amazing turnaround from a nearly completely empty building only a year or so ago.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 2:48 AM
Community Guy

A well known Downtown street is going to see something new it seems.

---
'new Korean inspired cocktail lounge opening soon downtown'

https://www.linkedin.com/in/troy-das...crSGwjFA%3D%3D

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:14 PM
Community Guy

Downtown Dining Week 2024 - menus now available:

https://www.edmontondowntown.com/diningweek/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 3:32 AM
Community Guy

Get a $100 GC to use YEGDT for $75.
https://mydowntowngiftcards.ca/produ...own-gift-card/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton