HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Let’s just hope for someone who runs Chicago as a global city, and doesn’t abandon its successes to champion a bunch of identity politics driven nonsense, or allow public employee unions to run the city for their own benefit.

maybe, one day, when pigs fly

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
Why do you say this? I understand the CTU not liking Rahm. But the CTU sows chaos around any figurehead to gain advantages in contract negotiations.

What other city workers hate him?
Well let's start with the department of aviation. Off the record most that I have talked to say they hate him.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:16 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Well let's start with the department of aviation. Off the record most that I have talked to say they hate him.
Too many tall buildings?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Too many tall buildings?
Maybe he makes them work to hard??

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Thats true for the US today. It wasn't always that way, and it also isn't true for plenty of other countries in the world

Keep implementing policies that favor the rich, that are written by the rich, and j wonder who will keep coming out on top...
1) thats a really stupid chart that proves nothing as none of those countries have open borders like we do, interesting the most homogenous, smallest white educated countries are near the bottom though

and 2) Don't you know what the golden rule is? The ones with all the gold make the rules...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
and 2) Don't you know what the golden rule is? The ones with all the gold make the rules...
guess we'll just have to eat the rich, then.

heres another chart im sure you will think is somehow flawed or not an accurate representation of the facts.

hm, wonder how the systematic robbing of the lower 90% by the top 10% of this country could have possibly taken place. other than the fact that, you know, every major policy decision over the past 3 decades has been at the expense of the common working man (and in fact normalized the demonization of the poor, as we can clearly see in this thread) in favor of plutocrats. but yea, doubtful any correlation there

Last edited by Via Chicago; Sep 4, 2018 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:44 PM

In my mind, Rahm was/is a good negotiator. No matter what anybody thinks, employment wise Chicago is literally at a high in number of people employed since the late 1970s at least. Even when the city had a few hundred thousand more people in it, today Chicago still has more employed persons than back then. A lot of companies came into Chicago and opened up offices, expanded, etc. Not sure how much, of course, can be attributed to him - but seems like he had a hand in some of the bigger ones.

Any one of these candidates actually good with business/negotiation? Of course, I think Rahm was good, though maybe it was other people doing the work for him and the big boss taking credit. Still - who's the best bet for that aspect of things?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 11:47 PM

hey remember that time Rahm said invading Iraq was a good idea even if it was proven WMDs didnt exist.

dudes worse than most republicans.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:18 AM

Not making excuses for Rahm, but being as that was from 2005 how much has he actually changed since then? I think Rahm has some definite right wing leanings - which is what I have to explain to a co-worker of mine who is very right wing giving him crap. I tell him that Rahm is probably not as left leaning as he thinks and if he took the time to understand his politics instead of looking at his party affiliation, he'd realize this. Also this co-worker of mine used to think that the midwestern brand of liberalism was the same as west coast LOL.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:33 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not making excuses for Rahm, but being as that was from 2005 how much has he actually changed since then? I think Rahm has some definite right wing leanings - which is what I have to explain to a co-worker of mine who is very right wing giving him crap. I tell him that Rahm is probably not as left leaning as he thinks and if he took the time to understand his politics instead of looking at his party affiliation, he'd realize this. Also this co-worker of mine used to think that the midwestern brand of liberalism was the same as west coast LOL.
Yep, that’s why I wholeheartedly disavow Party politics. To think that I have to agree to an entire platform is an insult to the fact that I have a cerebral cortex.

I can have varying opinions on countless matters.

For example, there are things I agree with Via Chicago about, and there are things I agree with Donald Trump about. I’m sure both ends of the spectrum would paint me as a traitor and denounce everything I say for that reason, but fuck if I care. I have a brain and I will be damned if I’m told how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:40 AM

^ Yes, same here. Party politics are dumb at the end of the day (I think even George Washington warned against party politics back in the day). Of course, there is a use for them, but at the same time I feel as if they've caused numerous people to make really dumb voting decisions all around the country. My coworker will talk about Chicago even though he's never been there. I don't even think he's been to the midwest once. He sees "democrat" and "liberal" and assumes that it's the same as the more progressive form of liberalism as the Bay Area (although that's debatable about how progressive they really are).

He was pretty shocked to find out that Ken Griffin was a big Rahm donor and that KG is a Republican. Gave him pause to actually listen to what I was telling him that "things are not what they seem."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:39 AM

Quote:

heres another chart im sure you will think is somehow flawed or not an accurate representation of the facts.

hm, wonder how the systematic robbing of the lower 90% by the top 10% of this country could have possibly taken place. other than the fact that, you know, every major policy decision over the past 3 decades has been at the expense of the common working man (and in fact normalized the demonization of the poor, as we can clearly see in this thread) in favor of plutocrats. but yea, doubtful any correlation there
30 years ago in 1988 we had good private sector union jobs with the industrial base to support them (and the public sector unions). No NAFTA, no WTO. No low cost overseas design centers. No massive influx of H1B visas. Those were the systemic policy decisions.

But we’re told that supporting tariffs and slashing immigration is alt-right; racist white supremacy. So we’ll just keep doing more of the same globalism.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:43 AM
Plenary pleasures.

I like Rahm..and I don't like Rahm. He's an effective mayor..and he isn't an effective mayor. Chicago will not lose or gain the HQ2 (or any other major headquarters, for that matter) because of whomever the mayor is, but because the decision will be based on what the City already has to offer. Gone are the days of the MayorPharaoh Daleys, who's decisions were ironclad, and many times made Chicago worse-off. So anything Rahm could have possibly offered by his personage alone, I believe pales in comparison to what the City already has to offer.

Chicago will still more than fine after Rahm, but could thrive significantly more if the gun violence/gang retaliation/drug transportation hub trifecta is crippled. And no singular mayor can fix that.
It's time to name names, retaliate against the prison kingpins that are directing the violence while behind bars, get the feds involved, snitch to save communities and lives, sue the fuck out of states that are turning their backs against gunrunners that are plaguing our state to close those trafficking loopholes, and more importantly, realize the untapped potential in investing in blighted neighborhoods and communities and capitalize on that, so that 40-70,000 people can work their way out of gang life and end the vicious cycle of violence that is very slowly eroding the fabric of the City.

This isn't rocket science, and it's most definitely not naive; you invest in something, it will grow, this is a guarantee. If you choose not to nurture anything, it will whither and die. Any argument against that is hollow, idiotic and reeks of obsequiousness that caters to only maintain an evil, mobster-ish status quo.

Stubborn assholes who get things done like Rahm are only part of the equation, because that attitude can only go so far before extreme hubris takes over and you lose control of a situation or your leadership. Name names. Name names. NAME NAMES. A scorched-earth approach is sometimes exactly what is needed to change minds and regain control. Chicago's future may depend on it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Uh guys he's probably leaving because his pollsters have told him it's now or never to make a run for the Oval Office. Trump is an extreme, but Rahm might be one of the few Dems tough enough to deal with his bombast. If he gets the nomination that would be the best presidential debates ever...

Think about it, 2020 campaign starts right when he is out of office. He can go out saying "look what I did for Chicago's fiscal state, Trump has trashed the US budget, I'll fix it", he can point to massive economic expansion in Chicago to challenge Trump on the economy angle. Who else do the Dems have? Biden? Good luck.
Quite a coincidence that Rahm's best friend and renowned political strategist David Axelrod just listed his condo for sale...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...904-story.html

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:30 AM
The City

Anybody who thinks that Chicago is screwed without Rahm obviously has no clue what tremendous assets the city has. I mean, didn’t you expect he would be gone at some point?

The city has some of the best workforce, one of the best built environments, and cultural institutions in North America.

Hell, in a tragic twist of fate, Chicago is a gangland Capital, and hence a center of so much drug related violence, precisely because of the prodigious infrastructure (location, transportation) that made the city vital to America’s growth to begin with. This is a marvelous place to traffic drugs and guns through and out towards the interior of the nation, and vice versa.

One man has little to do with this. The cake is baked—global forces shrunk the manufacturing workforce, but the new economy long ago took hold. Tech jobs are flowing in, companies are flowing in, and gentrification will continue like a freight train. These are forces largely beyond one man’s control. And if anything, Chicago would benefit more and more from a less strong-armed Mayor, so that the city won’t sway back and forth between politically connected power brokers every time there is a newly elected Mayor.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:13 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
And if anything, Chicago would benefit more and more from a less strong-armed Mayor, so that the city won’t sway back and forth between politically connected power brokers every time there is a newly elected Mayor.
Certainly when it comes to development, a weaker mayor means more aldermanic prerogative, applied to the biggest most consequential projects in the city. If the mayor's office was weaker, we would not be talking about Lincoln Yards. McCormick Place would be a 3rd-tier convention center per the PDNA's wishes, and the conventions would all be in Orlando or Vegas.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Thats true for the US today. It wasn't always that way, and it also isn't true for plenty of other countries in the world

Keep implementing policies that favor the rich, that are written by the rich, and j wonder who will keep coming out on top...
Whether or not this is true, it has nothing to do with city level politics or policy. No mayor of Chicago can make the US work more like Denmark.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:45 PM
TL;DR

^ Nor can the mayor address a gun-violence problem that really needs gun control to solve. Supreme Court won't allow cities or states to infringe on the Second Amendment. Heck, they might not allow Congress to infringe.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
he's not running for president with this Van Dyke case looming over his head... although I feel like he would be an excellent candidate and Im not a democrat at all
I really don't think stuff like the Van Dyke case has much political traction. Yes it's a problem and some people are worked up about it, but at the end of the day it's something happening all over the country and not just in Chicago. It's also a very abstract problem with few obvious direct solutions.

Quote:
I live in Little Village. But please, tell me more about the mean streets of Old Town.
Yeah and the Near North has 6 homicides while your "ghetto" Little Village has 3 and is a much larger area. Check your own ignorance, I love how those who are first to claim "liberal" also love to brag about how "ghetto" their neighborhood is. Little Village is not ghetto, it is not full of vacant lots and trash strewn streets, it it full of tidy kept up two flats with neatly shorn parkway lawns all the way to Cicero. Stop trying to play up how "ghetto" your neighborhood is to win internet points, it's unbecoming and wildly hypocritical.

Ghetto is a place like Austin where crime of all stripes is rampant and half the buildings are gone on major retail strips replaced by vacant lots full of fly dumped tires. Little Village is a textbook working class immigrant neighborhood and, like all similar neighborhoods, has some crime and gang activity. I'm down there almost every day and have not once heard gunshots despite hearing them several times in Pilsen and literally being shot at (I was dealing with a gangbanger tenant in a building I managed when someone started shooting at him) within 1 block of Milwaukee and Diversey.

Quote:

Dude what's the difference between 1980 and now? The US economy has gone from a largely self contained manufacturing economy to the nerve center of the most globalized, interconnected, world economy in world history. Your graph shows that the poor have not actually gotten poorer, their wages have continued to slowly rise, but at a lower pace. This isn't a "rich stealing from the poor" situation, this is a "rich getting richer at a wildly faster rate" situation. Where is the welath coming from then? Refer back to the first sentence of this paragraph, US companies are not US companies anymore, they are all mini Dutch East India Companies now. They are global powerhouses making profits in every corner of the earth and bringing them home to their imperial capital. Just look at the recent wave of stock buy backs, it's not actually because "Donald Trump lowered taxes for the rich", it's because the economy changed to the point where corporations were making rediculous gobs of cash overseas and tax laws hadn't caught up to effectively deal with this. Trump updated the laws so that overseas profits weren't taxed at multiple times the rate that literally any other country on Earth taxes them. Love or hate Trump, that was a law that needed updating. We couldn't just mandate that companies bring that money home and deal with the existing bullshit tax consequences, that's some authoritarian China BS.

So my point is simple: if you want a globalized economy with the US at the helm, this is the logical consequence. The rich in the US will make exponentially more money because companies no longer have 300 million customers, but 7 billion. The solid union jobs you love so much will be sent over seas massively reducing poverty there (500 million Chinese have been lifted out of dire poverty by these policies since 1980). And wage growth for poor Americans will slow because they are now competing with all the impoverished masses of planet Earth for these jobs.

So what do you want? Trump is the first president in decades to push back on the globalization agenda and I'm sure you shit on him for it. You should be supportive of his tariffs. You boy Clinton was the originator of much of the current globalization regieme, but I'm sure you have never once uttered a critical word since he's a "Democrat". A "Democrat" in much the same way as his student and employee Rahm is.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Certainly when it comes to development, a weaker mayor means more aldermanic prerogative, applied to the biggest most consequential projects in the city. If the mayor's office was weaker, we would not be talking about Lincoln Yards. McCormick Place would be a 3rd-tier convention center per the PDNA's wishes, and the conventions would all be in Orlando or Vegas.
I disagree. Aldermanic prerogative exists as an unspoken compromise between a powerful Mayor being able to keep a rubberstamp City Council. It’s a byproduct of the fact that the Mayor has largely stripped Aldermen of most of their real power. At least that’s my take on the situation

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest